Ram

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Motive Type: Hovercraft
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 3160
Cost: unknown (Solaris Armor Works won't let me price with supercharger and Armored Motive System. Likely 12-15 million-ish due to the XL and the supercharger.)

Power Plant: 265 Fusion XL Engine
Cruise Speed: 108.0 km/h
Flanking Speed: 162.0 km/h
Armor: Ferro-Lamellor
Armament:
1 (CL) ER Medium Laser
2 (CL) Mech Mortar 1s
1 (CL) Laser Anti-Missile System
2 (CL) Anti-Missile Systems
1 Angel ECM
1 CASE
1 Supercharger

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 25 points 5.00
Engine: XL Engine 265 10.50
Cruise MP: 10
Flank MP: 15
Heat Sinks: (IS) Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Control Equipment: 2.50
Lift Equipment: 5.00
Turret: 0.50
Armor: Ferro-Lamellor AV - 140 10.00

Armor
Factor
Front 51
Left/Right 23/23
Turret 25
Rear 18

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Spaces Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) Laser Anti-Missile System T 5 1 1.00
2 (CL) Anti-Missile Systems T 2 2 1.00
2 (CL) Mech Mortar 1s T 2 2 2.00
(CL) ER Medium Laser T 5 1 1.00
Angel ECM BD 0 1 2.00
(CL) Armored Motive System BD 0 1 5.00
CASE BD - 0 0.00
Supercharger BD 0 1 1.50
@Anti-Missile System (24) BD - 0 1.00
@Mortar 1 (Smoke) (24) BD - 0 1.00
@Mortar 1 (Airburst) (24) BD - 0 1.00

This is what its name suggests. A fifty ton RAM that is designed to slam into a 'Mechs legs, after a supercharger-enabled 19 hex runup, doing 95 points of damage to the kick location table. In all but the most massive assault mechs, if the charge hits this is basically guaranteed to remove one or both legs, immobilizing the target mech; though this is likely to happen even with those assault mechs as often as not.

I imagine the target mech and its allies would try to prevent that, therefore the Ram is designed with an array of defensive systems, including three anti-missile systems, an Angel ECM, and heavy-smoke launching mech mortars to lay down +2 to hit cover if not complete LOS blockage on its way inward to a target. Its sole offensive weapon is one ER Medium Laser, though there is one ton of offensive ammunition for the dual mortars.

To prevent immobilization from the charge damage itself, an Armored Motive System is included. Ten tons of Ferro-Lamellor make this the most heavily armored hovertank I've dabbled with yet, with the armor heavily balanced on the front plating (again, to protect against charge damage to self).

Has anyone else dabbled with fast vehicular units designed specifically for charging?
Rotwang
05/29/16 08:03 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The only problem is finding people crazy enough to pilot this thing at the speed of a racing car and voluntarily crash into something.
ghostrider
05/29/16 11:57 AM

I could see having a special crash couch installed making that less of an issue. But I do agree. Finding some people to drive it would be hard. Demolition Derbies might be the best place to find someone willing to do this.

What would concern me is having ammunition that can be tossed around. Ammo feeds are not a very safe spot for ammo to be when you crash, though the game doesn't deal with that.

Too bad the game doesn't have shaped charges you can mount on unit, or some sort of item like the mech claws for vehicles.
Also, I would suggest fluff suggesting the unit is shaped to self right, or some sort of experimental technology that will flip the unit back over if it ends up on it's side or back. Just covering some bases here.

The case prevents crew from dying in ammo explosion, but vehicle still dies.
Drasnighta
06/02/16 08:02 PM

... Kinetic-Impact Cruise Missiles would have to be cheaper to build, operate and replace...

I feel its certainly a situation where the rules of the game, being different to the rules of 'real life' allow something cool to be made
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
ghostrider
06/02/16 11:25 PM

I wonder of removing the turret might not be a good thing as your main purpose is ramming. Laser pointing front, and just move the anti missile systems to front/side. Would give you some extra weight as well as move some armor to areas that would use some extra. The sides are a little underarmored with the new hit locations for vehicles.

And it is a shame you can't just graze a mechs leg with a sword type edge of the craft. Or have a shaped charge that blows forward when you hit the leg.

The issue with things like missiles is the game doesn't go into anything complicated for land battles. I would think a capital missile would do the trick. Even arrow iv batteries might be cheaper, but less fun.
Well for anyone not in the tank itself.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4275

Contact Admins Sarna.net