Should they be charged with treason????

Pages: 1
ErichRaulfestone
10/31/01 05:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Treason laws

Syria also wants the return of the Golan Heights included in any discussion of its
relations with Jerusalem.

Blair, who played a leading role in forming the
coalition against terrorism among western and Arab
nations, made a keynote speech on Tuesday urging
people not to forget the horrors of September 11.

The address was designed to correct a perceived
"wobble" in the public and media's support for the
bombing campaign and Blair stressed it was
important "we never forget why we are doing it."

Blair's government is also concerned by reports that some British Muslims have left
the UK to fight for the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The government suggested on Tuesday that British citizens who took up arms for
the Taliban could be charged under ancient treason laws.

God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before!
The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.

--unknown
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Bob_Richter
10/31/01 05:20 PM

Is Great Britain at war with the Taliban?

If it is, any of its citizens who fight for the Taliban are certainly traitors by any meaningful definition, and such prosecution would be the obvious course of action.

If it is not (and I am not aware of this detail. It is possible, after all, to bomb without declaring war.), there can be no possible grounds for a charge of treason, and such prosecution would be a waste of taxpayer money at best and a monstrous injustice at worst.

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
McKennsy
10/31/01 06:30 PM

Tony Benn, a Labour politician was speaking on Sky News today and said that as England had not declaired war on the Taliban then the English Muslims who went there can'not be charged with treason.

Cheers,

Mc Kennsy.

Nightmare
11/27/01 12:50 AM

BTW, what about the other so-called niceties we`re
supposed to observe? If someone hasn`t declared
war, is he to be regarded as a legitimate soldier under
the Geneva Convention?
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
ErichRaulfestone
12/03/01 07:49 PM

Only if they are in a uniform that is recognized as fron an enemy country and we have declared war on them.
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

......and I went......
Nightmare
12/04/01 12:47 AM

You missed my point. If you haven`t declared war on someone but still attack, do your soldiers count as such
under the Geneva Convention?
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
ErichRaulfestone
12/04/01 04:33 PM

PART III

METHODS AND MEANS OF WARFARE

COMBATANT AND PRISONER-OF-WAR STATUS

SECTION I.-METHODS AND MEANS OF WARFARE

Article 35.-Basic rules

1. In any armed conflict, the right of the Parties to the conflict to choose methods or means of warfare is not unlimited.

2. It is prohibited to employ weapons, projectiles and material and methods of warfare of a nature to cause
superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering.

3. It is prohibited to employ methods or means of warfare which are intended, or may be expected, to cause
widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment.

Article 36.-New weapons

In the study, development, acquisition or adoption of a new weapon, means or method of warfare, a High
Contracting Party is under an obligation to determine whether its employment would, in some or all
circumstances, be prohibited by this Protocol or by any other rule of international law applicable to the High
Contracting Party.

Article 37.-Prohibition of perfidy

1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an
adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of
international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The
following acts are examples of perfidy:

(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;

(b) The feigning of an incapacitation by wounds or sickness;

(c) The feigning of civilian, non-combatant status; and

(d) The feigning of protected status by the use of signs, emblems or uniforms of the United Nations or of neutral
or other States not Parties to the conflict.

2. Ruses of war are not prohibited. Such ruses are acts which are intended to mislead an adversary or to
induce him to act recklessly but which infringe no rule of international law applicable in armed conflict and which
are not perfidious because they do not invite the confidence of an adversary with respect to protection under
that law. The following are examples of such ruses: the use of camouflage, decoys, mock operations and
misinformation.

Article 38.-Recognized emblems

1. It is prohibited to make improper use of the distinctive emblem of the red cross, red crescent or red lion and
sun or of other emblems, signs or signals provided for by the Conventions or by this Protocol. It is also
prohibited to misuse deliberately in an armed conflict other internationally recognized protective emblems,
signs or signals, including the flag of truce, and the protective emblem of cultural property.

2. It is prohibited to make use of the distinctive emblem of the United Nations, except as authorized by that
Organization.

Article 39.-Emblems of nationality

1. It is prohibited to make use in an armed conflict of the flags or military emblems, insignia or uniforms of
neutral or other States not Parties to the conflict.

2. It is prohibited to make use of the flags or military emblems, insignia or uniforms of adverse Parties while
engaging in attacks or in order to shield, favour, protect or impede military operations.

3. Nothing in this Article or in Article 37, paragraph 1 (d), shall affect the existing generally recognized rules of
international law applicable to espionage or to the use of flags in the conduct of armed conflict at sea.

Article 40.-Quarter

It is prohibited to order that there shall be no survivors, to threaten an adversary therewith or to conduct
hostilities on this basis.

Article 41.-Safeguard of an enemy hors de combat

1. A person who is recognized or who, in the circumstances, should be recognized to be hors de combat shall
not be made the object of attack.

2. A person is hors de combat if:

(a) He is in the power of an adverse Party;

(b) He clearly expresses an intention to surrender; or

(c) He has been rendered unconscious or is otherwise incapacitated by wounds or sickness, and therefore is
incapable of defending himself; provided that in any of these cases he abstains from any hostile act and does
not attempt to escape.

3. When persons entitled to protection as prisons of war have fallen into the power of an adverse Party under
unusual conditions of combat which prevent their evacuation as provided for in Part m, Section I, of the Third
Convention, they shall be released and all feasible precautions shall be taken to ensure their safety.

********************************************************************************

I hope this helps, if you are interested, here is the addy:

http://www.reddelasamericas.net/scj5/HumanRights/english/instruments/PAGC-PVIAC1.htm
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Nightmare
12/06/01 12:27 AM

OK, thanks, I`ll check it out.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4307

Contact Admins Sarna.net