Classic Battletech Lore Sources ?

Pages: 1
xanth
07/11/16 03:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The upcoming Battletech Game by Harebrained Schemes got me interested in the classic Battletech Era and the quasi-feudal themes of Mechs being ultra rare and handed down though noble families,ect.

However, I was able to find very little reference to this time period in the Battletech books I own. (I have the 1980's boxed set that mentions the scarcity of mechs and the dispossessed, and there is a sentence or two on the back of the 3025 tech manuals.) Nothing in Battletech Master Rules flavor/fluff nor in Total warfare- these seem to focus on Clan Invasion Era and beyond.

Any suggestions of where else to look?
CrayModerator
07/11/16 05:26 PM

MechWarrior 1st edition would be a good place to start, since that's pure 3025-era roleplaying stuff. Mercenaries 1st edition might also cover some of it. I'd flip through TR:3025 looking at its "Notable MechWarriors" - some should be from long MechWarrior families. The Sword & Dagger novel, one of the early ones, covers the fears of a MechWarrior who has his 'Mech shot out from him - you might try the early novels, like the Gray Death series, which worked to bring the setting to life.

Skimming MW 1st, it mentions dispossession under "Back up 'Mechs" (A character who possesses a second 'Mech can avoid the unpleasant fate of being Dispossessed); random encounters with "Interesting NPCs" (Dispossessed: 1d6 former MechWarriors from a planetary family that has lots its 'Mechs. This encounter can be friendly or hostile...); and random encounters with personal challengers.

Hmm. This is a good question. Maybe dispossession was mostly discussed in old novels.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Akalabeth
07/11/16 07:26 PM

Decision at Thunder Rift novel kinda describes some of the disposessed/family dynamics.
ghostrider
07/11/16 08:41 PM

As it was pointed out, the game focuses on mechs being used. No one wants to play a mech warrior without a mech.
Since most would just get a new mech to play the next game, it was not something that seemed to be important.

Since the novels gave more life to the actual back ground of the game then the rules did, you would find more references to the actual situation of life in the game world, as economics was not really a part of it, even today.

The only time you might have to really deal with the loss of a unit is in a campaign that does not replace units, unless you take them from the field.

From the looks of it, a new recruit is considered less of a risk then a dispossessed warrior. I guess stigmatism would be the best word for it.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3938

Contact Admins Sarna.net