Rule idea. MRSI for artillery

Pages: 1
happyguy49
07/31/16 05:38 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For reference,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#MRSI

I think the 3 artillery pieces (thumper, sniper, long tom) should be able to choose to do a MRSI strike in certain circumstances. Since they all can apparently fire every ten seconds, (a battletech turn) for instance, if a Sniper artillery is say, 7 mapsheets away from the target, but has a range of 20, it should be able to fire 13 shells in high arcs that all land in the same turn, 13 turns (130 seconds) in the future. Just an idea.
ghostrider
07/31/16 12:50 PM

I believe the issue starts with the way the shells that are fired.
To my knowledge, they are all like a bullet. The powder is already set in the 'casing' along with the actual shell. So to get the range, you have to change the actual firing arc.
Higher the barrel, the closer the shot, while lowering the barrel would send it further out, up until the max range which, theoretically, should be 45 degrees.
Now if you can vary the powder in the shot, then I could see this happening.

Now another thing that might change this is flight time.
Fixing the first issue, you still would have this issue. BMR says 4 turns at 7-8. 10 turns for the 20 maps. Not sure if it was changed in the later rule sets, but it still shows a problem there.

Granted it may make a nice house rule for people.
Shadrak
08/31/16 02:04 AM

Rules sets still give static flight times, not minimum flight times. It is something that, I agree, should be modified to a range with a minimum and a maximum flight time....

In this case, attack modifiers would be reset between each salvo.
ghostrider
08/31/16 11:49 AM

by using different size propelling charges with each shell.
This partial sentence is in the wiki under the mrsi.
This is the very problem with battle tech artillery.
It is my understanding that the shells used in battletech are all self contained just like the bullet in a gun. Not sure if they allow hot loads and such.

Now if you come out with variant shells with different charges, and not the changing damage like suggested in another thread, I could see this being done. Though I haven't seen any limitations to artillery elevations when firing, I would think 45 degrees is max with a consistent powder charge in the shell. Max range concept.
Without the ability to meter the charge, some shots would not work in real life, but in the game it is part of the fudge factor. Target behind a cliff, and dropping the shell on them when there is no way it could be done without near vertical falling on the shell.

You should have to label how many shells have what type of charge to keep it honest. Like solid/scatter shots for lbx.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3940

Contact Admins Sarna.net