About Custom 'mechs

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
08/04/16 02:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So, I'm new to BattleTech and had a question before splurging on the books/miniatures/etc.

In the BattleTech Universe, could one creating a fully unique 'Mech?

Not a new chassis or "kind" of 'Mech, mind you, but more of a "personalized" variant.

I'm aware to some point that this might be prohibitive to the point of impossible from a resource/capital standpoint, but I was wondering just the same.

To clarify;

Example A: I'm a Special Unit of "Military X" and have been issued a special variant of the Flea called the "Sand Mite" which utilizes technology that would be considered prohibitive by normal military standards. Using the best weapons/tech available I'm outfitted with a Medium X-Pulse Laser and Light MG with an additional coolant pod for extra hot operations. In-Universe, provided this fits w/ the Tech available in the Ruleset I'm playing, could or would this be one?

Also how would such things be "graded" as "broken" or "unbroken"? Are some weapons simply impossible to mount in some cases?

Example B: In keeping with the question in the above example, if I was a really famous pirate, or there was such an NPC who used a special built Thanatos 'Mech mounting a captured ClanTech LBX-10 AutoCannon in the Side Torso, a Flamer in the other Side Torso, and using a standard IS AC/5 with a captured ClanTech ER Pulse Laser Large, and had the missile arm refitted into a shield arm ala Centurion; could that be done?

And how would you class it as "broken" or "unbroken" etc?

Example C: I'm starting a campaign as a Merc Unit. And want to order(?) a group of customized 'Mechs for my unit that don't adhere to standard variants. I.E. A Raven with Medium Pulse Lasers and an LRM 15 + SRM 4 instead of a NARC Small Lasers, or a Bushwacker with a Flamer in the CT, and an LBX-5 alongside a single MRM-10 and a Rocket Launcher in the side for flanking; or perhaps a Warhammer with BAP and a Side-Along mounted UAC-2 + Heavy MG in one arm and Snub-Nose PPC in the other, with ATM-6 and ATM-12 in the Missile Rack and side torso respectively?

Could I even order units ala carte like that, provided I had the C-Bills? Could I somehow acquire/order ClanTech? Also the above question.

Example D: If I'm a Clanner, can I even do anything like the above? I'm aware of Clanners being ultra-traditional, so would modifying a 'Mech like in Examples A-C be possible in anyway? And if so, how?

The above questions stand for this example, assuming they apply.

Much thanks to anyone who bothers to answer these.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
happyguy49
08/04/16 06:32 AM

In a word, yes? Half the stuff in the rulebooks is about designing your own units. For many is is the most fun part of the game. Custom variants are also of course allowed. Look up random designs on the wiki, especially famous designs such as the Warhammer you mentioned, and there will be MANY custom variants from a variety of different published (i.e. canon) sources. Particularly if you are modelling a merc unit, due to collecting loot and jerry-rigging repairs with what they happen to have on hand, they would likely have more non-standard-spec designs than not; up to and including balls-to-the-wall Frankenmechs. So in your own house game, go nuts!

Don't worry about using mixed-tech either, the last couple of TROs, 3145 and 3150 have mixed tech designs. (which means 'mixed tech' is now a canon option.)

Of course Clans can do basically whatever they want regarding their loadouts, that is the whole point of OmniMech technology.

The only thing 'illegal' would be something that breaks the design rules, for instance a 20 ton mech with a Heavy Gauss Rifle. (which weighs 18 tons by itself.)

I would add that you should also adhere to the timeline and geographical restrictions; nothing silly like a design in an Age-of-War setting with C3 and a hyper-assault gauss.
ghostrider
08/04/16 07:14 PM

Gonna be a little shotgun for examples but hopefully it will answer your questions. Lets start with D.
If you are aware of the clan Omni mechs, you will see they have several standard variants. So customizing your mechs is very possible, with the omnis being the easiest to deal with. If you have access to the books, the 'pods' used to modify them make it a lot easier to 'justify' changing them.
There really isn't much dealing with the price or difficulty limiting the custom mechs, but those would be the 'quickest'.

Not sure if you understand the different techs, such as the innersphere (IS) or clan, but as it was pointed out, the time frame of the game's time line should determine what is available to your designs. The original game started in the game years around 3025. It was low basic tech. As it got towards 3040's star league tech was uncovered as well as how to make them.
3050 started the clant invasion and introduction of clan tech. This is main important if you play with other groups that are more inline with the canon time line. Playing with your own group, you may not care if you have a gauss rifle during the 3025 era.
This is just a warning to be aware when dealing with others.

The term grade might be referring to things like the tech level needed to build a specific item, if you are dealing with mercenary units and doing it the game way. Some items were so rare, their rating reflects that. You may be able to purchase in on the black market, or not at all. Alot of people ignore that, as you can not have fun if you can not repair a unit as the broken part might not be available in the area you are in. Prime example is the original clan invasion. If playing IS, you would not be able to buy parts for an omni mech as that was exclusive to the clans only at that time of the game line.

Broken/unbroken sounds more like salvage parts then anything else. Also when weapons take damage a single point normally renders that weapon unusable or broken. Those with multiple critical spaces, or crits for short, are inoperable with the first hit, but is not considered destroyed. Normally they can be fixed. Only when all crits are hit for that unit, then it is destroyed.
You can salvage unbroken equipment even mechs that were out of action from over heating, or pilot ejected to avoid being killed.
I am not sure if that is what you were looking at, but hope this helps.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5789

Contact Admins Sarna.net