QKD-O2M Quickdraw [3087 AU]

Pages: 1
VanVelding
09/25/16 05:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
3087 is a Battletech alternate universe where The Jihad never happened. Instead, political fractures and spiraling conflicts temper much of the technological and industrial progress of the last few decades. Its history is told through the pages and designs of TRO: 3087. I'm sharing a series of four 'Mechs here, on battletech.com, and ourbattletech to gauge interest in further editing/development of this project.

DOC-04113085#1701; DIST-REF/TRN; CLASS-CON(b)(c)(d); AUTH-S. Kaas; STAT-Review(23033086); PUB-12103087;
TTL-"TRO:3087p79","TRO:3087p80";
Latest Revision by S. Kaas on 23033086
This document is in review for fact-checking and editorial standards. It is not for distribution.

Quickdraw QKD-O2M
Overview
Thomas Marik was a shoo-in for First Lord during the Fourth Whitting Conference, but his first challenge came before his election. Military, economic, and political exhaustion and disinterest among most member states was creating a pressure to disband The Star League. To save the fruits of the unprecedented political union, Marik negotiated massive scalebacks in Star League commitments, especially military commitments.
Instead of bolstering Star League Defense Forces, members could submit surplus OmniMech pods. The pods would function on omni-capable units already in the SLDF as well as on a new platform, the upgraded Quickdraw.
This new Quickdraw was created by the Free Worlds League and incorporated pre-existing technologies from other member states. Small snags delayed production and the first dozen had entered SLDF service just months before the end of Thomas Marik�s term as First Lord. One of Peter Steiner-Davion's first acts as First Lord was to promptly shelve the SLDF to stop internecine battles by members over its use.
The �Mech was popular within the FWLM and was retooled into the simpler, cheaper model in production today. It was briefly produced by the Mercenaries Alliance until the world of Savannah revolted and returned the FWL fold.

Capabilities
The SLDF under First Lord Marik had a strong focus on automation and reduced staffing, which included an advanced command and control module which allowed remote interfacing with artillery, warship, and other support elements, including the FWLM�s new standoff vertical launch systems(SVLS).
It was hoped this integration could level the playing field of the beleaguered organization, especially when facing off against a Clan. The latest Quickdraw lacks this system, but still carries shoulder-mounted electronics in all of its configurations.
The advanced electronics and omni systems have been a burden on less sophisticated units fielding them. More than a few FWLM technicians have been caught--and executed--for sabotaging Quickdraws beyond repair to avoid working on them. Most Quickdraws are slotted for elite units as a result.

Battle History
Iselin�s Rampage is now famous. His Quickdraw, one of the original-run omnis, was linked to the FWLM SVLS system on Avellaneda. Months after the system helped repel a Senate raid on the world, Iselin turned on the 1st Marik Militia.
The Quickdraw�s integration with the Militia�s information systems, Iselin�s surprising ability to repeatedly hack into the SVLS and orbiting FWLS Schrack, and well trained Senate sympathizers on world allowed him to devastate the Militia time and again while rarely appearing on the battlefield himself.
The rampage led directly to the Senate�s takeover of the world. Together with the massive defection of warships at the outset of the FWL Civil War, it led to a declining interest across the Inner Sphere in automated systems controlled by a single individual.

Variants
The first omni-capable Quickdraw mounted a smaller, light fusion engine, but maintained the same top speed as the current model thanks to a MASC system. Problems with pod-mounted jump jets mean that they, like the current model, were hard-mounted.
The paucity of pods at the time made loadouts eclectic, but an advanced streak LRM 20 launcher with medium pulse lasers tied into a targeting computer gave it an impressive punch at all ranges. An anti-missile system conferred a significant advantage against other missile carriers.
The prime configuration of the -O2M hews closely to the original Quickdraw, carrying an LRM 10, a short range missile launcher, and a quartet of lasers. The arm-mounted lasers are upgraded to extended range models and the close-in missiles are streak-capable. A Guardian ECM suite and CASE systems keep it fighting against opponents carrying more firepower.
A light gauss rifle is the centerpiece of the B configuration. Originally, it carried a targeting computer, but the difficulty in getting replacement pods has resulted in the use of paired ECM and Active Probe packages. Some mechwarriors complain about the availability of weapons to capitalize on the probe�s detection abilities beyond a single medium laser
The C configuration is built around an advanced C3 computer, which it backs up with an LRM 15 and an extended range large laser.
The D configuration is similar, with a smaller C3 node system, a double heat sink, and a trio of medium lasers to help it dish out damage while spotting for the network.

Code:
Quickdraw QKD-O2M
Type/Model: Quickdraw QKD-O2M
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3070
Config: Biped OmniMech
Manufactured: Free Worlds League (C)
Fielded:
Free Worlds League (C) (Common)
Free Worlds League (S) (Uncommon)
Mercenaries Alliance (Uncommon)
Other Inner Sphere (Rare)

Mass: 60 tons
Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 14 3.00
(Loc: 4 LT, 4 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA) 99 pts
Engine:300 Fusion 6 19.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5
Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Heat Sinks: 10 Double 0 0.00
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit: 5 3.00
Actuators: 12 0.00
L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA
Armor Factor: 0 9.00
144 pts

Internal Structure Armor Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 20 18
Center Torso (Rear): 9
L/R Side Torso: 14 17/17
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 8/8
L/R Arm: 10 13/13
L/R Leg: 14 16/16

Weapons and Equipment Loc Crits Tons
---------------------------------------
Primary Configuration
2 ER Medium Lasers RT(R) 2 2.00
Guardian ECM Suite RT 2 1.50
Streak SRM 6 RT 2 4.50
CASE RT 1 0.50
LRM 10 LT 2 5.00
CASE LT 1 0.50
ER Medium Laser RA 1 1.00
Upper Arm Actuator RA 1 0.00
Hand Actuator RA 1 0.00
ER Medium Laser LA 1 1.00
Upper Arm Actuator LA 1 0.00
Hand Actuator LA 1 0.00
Ammunition (SSRM 6) 15 RT 1 1.00
Ammunition (LRM 10) 12 LT 1 1.00
Crits & Tons Left: 14 0.0

A Configuration
TAG RT 1 1.00
ER Small Laser CT(R) 1 0.50
Gauss Rifle LA 7 15.00
ER Small Laser RA 1 1.00
Hand Actuator RA 1 0.00
Ammunition (GR) 8 LT 1 1.00
Crits & Tons Left: 19 0.0

B Configuration
Active Probe RT 2 1.50
Guardian ECM Suite RT 2 1.50
Light Gauss Rifle LT 5 12.00
Hand Actuator LA 1 0.00
ER Medium Laser RA 1 1.00
Hand Actuator RA 1 0.00
Ammunition (LGR) 32 LT 2 2.00
Crits & Tons Left: 16 0.0

C Configuration
C3 Computer (Master) RT 5 5.00
LRM 15 LT 3 7.00
Ammunition (LRM 15) 8 LT 1 1.00
ER Large Laser RA 2 5.00
Hand Actuator RA 1 0.00
Hand Actuator LA 1 0.00
Crits & Tons Left: 17 0.0

D Configuration
C3 Computer (Slave) RT 1 1.00
Double Heat Sink RT 3 1.00
ER Medium Laser RT 1 1.00
LRM 15 LT 3 7.00
Ammunition (LRM 15) 8 LT 1 1.00
ER Large Laser RA 2 5.00
Hand Actuator RA 1 0.00
2 Medium Lasers LA 2 2.00
Hand Actuator LA 1 0.00
Crits & Tons Left: 15 0.0

Known issues: General quality. Clarifying that there is a Free Worlds League Civil War with Senate and Captain factions. Consistently/correctly capitalizing, abbreviating, and punctuating terms such as "omni-capable," "omnipod," "OmniMech," etc., under "Variants" the writeup for the original model should be after the omni configurations to prevent dropped reference to -O2M where reader scrolls to top to see what 'Mech they're reading about, repetition of phrases like "original Quickdraw" "current Quickdraw" "new Quickdraw", references to executing techs should be better explained or removed, references to Senate taking Avellanda should be phrased so it sounds like an enemy taking a world by force of arms and not the end of a torrid romance between a government entity on Atreus and a planet, timeline check to prevent Peter Steiner mothballing the SLDF during a literal Clan invasion of the Lyran Commonwealth, "Iselin's Rampage is famous" as a sentence deserves its own list but "remove it" should suffice as direction, remove reference to "advanced C3 computer" which implies C3i, reversing the apostrophes on "`Mech", unified style in stats RE "FWL (Senate)" or "Free Worlds League (S)" as reader is probably more familiar with FWL than new factions in their civil war
I write stuff, make podcasts, and say curse words on the internet. Pretty original stuff if you've never seen the internet before.

Edited by VanVelding (09/25/16 05:26 PM)
ghostrider
09/27/16 01:56 AM

Ok. The fluff says the original omnimech produced on this chasis, says they used a smaller light fusion engine and masc to hit the top speed of the current model. Since masc is not figured into how many normal jets the unit can use, did they have a shorter jumping range to fit the real movement, or the masc induced movement?

I am going to assume the upper arm actuator in the list of equipment for the variations is supped to be lower arm actuators.

As the bottom information states about the advanced c3, it should read master c3 in the text variants listing.

As the light gauss was a FWL 'upgrade', I would think another variant with it would be a good idea. But this is just a suggestion.

Also to clean up the page, I would suggest since all variations of the unit have full right arm actuators, you just hard mount in, and save you from having repetitious listings allowing for a shorter variations list.

I am surprised you didn't stick with one of the variants keeping the streak lrm 20 and pulse lasers. Though this version might be better off with the ermls. Keep the enemy at a distance sort of idea.

The primary has a pair of case, but none of the other configurations do. Not sure if it would be a good idea to remove it, and add in something different or not. Might actually be better to leave it in.
VanVelding
09/28/16 01:58 AM

I don't believe MASC affects jump jet limits. The original omni would have fewer jump jets, but the actual stats seem best left for a set of records sheets. And those would only be necessary if there's enough interest for me to work with the project more. It would also have the SLRMs unique to The Federated Suns and its "evil twin" faction.

Replace "upper arm actuators" with "lower arm actuators." That's an embarrassing one. Noted.

The stats for the C variant says "Master" already.

Because there's so little weight on the chassis, the gauss rifle and light gauss rifle variants don't leave a lot of room to distinguish themselves from each other. I could squeeze about 3.5 tons out a different LGR config which wouldn't be distinct enough to be worth including.

The best way to clean up the page would be to have a set order to listing all components. I currently don't. Noted.

Making arm/hand actuators standard precludes ever using the arms to carry PPCs or autocannons. Maybe it's worth doing to for fluff reasons. It's hard to imagine a Quickdraw without actuators.

Appreciate the feedback.

I do need to swap out that CASE. Given that it's a bit oversinked, I could probably throw another ER medium on there. Or drop the Streak 6 down to a standard and add an SRM 2/inferno ammo/ER Small. Noted.

I didn't catch that the C & D are obviously riffs on each other. That can be rolled into a single bit in the "Variants" section. Noted.

Edited by VanVelding (09/28/16 02:02 AM)
ghostrider
09/28/16 02:15 AM

I understand the lower and hand actuators being pods for an omni, but all the configurations have the right arm complete. That is why I brought that up. I guess they can use a variant that doesn't have the 2 lower ones.

The C configuration is built around an advanced C3 computer, which it backs up with an LRM 15 and an extended range large laser.
That line is where I was saying master would be needed, and in the lower area with the statement of remove reference to "advanced C3 computer" which implies C3i. is what I was pointing out.

Now one thing I can see that might be an issue with using it in a campaign, which is an issue with all mechs that carry ammo. The lack of resupply. I would suggest a version that does away with ammo for dealing with such a thing. Like maybe an extended raider version for causing problems behind the lines.
Though given the orion mech was an FWL design, ammunition dependent mechs seem to fit from them.
VanVelding
10/02/16 02:18 PM

Limiting the construction options lends the omni some character. Hard-mount right arm actuator. Noted.

Redundant A/B and C/D configurations lend themselves to a radically different variants, possibly energy-based. Noted.
I write stuff, make podcasts, and say curse words on the internet. Pretty original stuff if you've never seen the internet before.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4369

Contact Admins Sarna.net