AMS/LAMS alternative interception rules

Pages: 1
Retry
10/01/16 10:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
AMS/LAMS works by providing a -4 malus to the roll of one missile attack. It doesn't matter what the missile type is (except for T-Bolts) or the size of the launcher, it's always -4 malus to the role of *one* missile attack. This means that, despite having a similar number of missiles, the AMS is far less effective against 3 SRM 2s than a single SRM 6, or 4 MRM 10s versus a MRM 40. This completely hampers the AMS/LAMS's capabilities to actually defend the targeted unit from missile strikes and further encourages the attacker to make use only of multiple smaller launchers.

Instead of inflicting a -4 malus on one roll of one missile attack, I recommend an alternative rule. Every active AMS rolls either 2D6 or 3D6 (depending on how powerful you want AMS to be) and the result is how many individual missiles the system intercepts that turn.

E.G.
AMS unit is attacked by Catapult w/ 2 LRM-15s
LRM #1 hits for 5 missiles, LRM #2 hits for 9 missiles.
AMS rolls 2D6 to intercept. Result is 9.
The AMS unit chooses which 9 missiles he wants to intercept. For instance, he can intercept the entirity of LRM barrage 2, or he can intercept all of barrage 1 and 4 of 9 missiles of barrage 2.
AmaroqStarwind
04/04/18 12:24 PM

So, it's basically an Opposed Cluster Roll, or like a Counter Cluster Roll?
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
04/05/18 12:59 AM

I think the developers messed with the ams rules to make sure atleast one missile hits. 1 or below on the missiles that hit table still results in one hitting, or at least last I knew.

I would have to look it up, but I don't believe ams works against the old swarm missiles if you were not the primary target.

Though what you describe is an issue we had as well. How do you really determine what they got after.
One person came up with the argument that streaks only fired with lock on, so you had to use the ams against the non streaks first. He even went as far as to try to suggest anything fired in their direction was rolled for first, then the streaks could be fired without worries of the ams.

I can see where one system should not be able to engage multiple flights of missiles, though that can be argued with, as all are fired at once from the same unit would be close enough together for the ams to hit multiple flights.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3990

Contact Admins Sarna.net