DVO-10T Dervish [3087 AU]

Pages: 1
VanVelding
10/08/16 11:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
3087 is a Battletech alternate universe where The Jihad never happened. Instead, political fractures and spiraling conflicts temper much of the technological and industrial progress of the last few decades. Its history is told through the pages and designs of TRO: 3087. I'm sharing a series of four 'Mechs here, on OurBattletech, and Battletech.com to gauge interest in further editing/development of this project. This is the last one.

Code:
DOC-05023086#1701; DIST-REF/TRN; CLASS-CON(b)(c)(d); AUTH-S. Kaas; STAT-Review(09023086); PUB-12103087; 
TTL-"TRO:3087p91","TRO:3087p92";
Latest Revision by S. Kaas on 09023086
This document is in review for fact-checking and editorial standards. It is not for distribution.

DVO-10T Dervish
Overview
Of the four �Mechs and one JumpShip that originally comprised the Hellfire Pirate Band, only Chram �Hellfire� Tait�s Dervish survived the war to create the Federated Hellfire Territories.
In 3079, his model was upgraded to an omnimech, based on prototypes The Word had been providing to Tait�s ilk. Four years later, the Archenar plant on New Avalon was retooled to produce a similar model, touted as one of Tait�s most successful rebuilding efforts after taking the world.
The new model is deployed almost exclusively in The Federated Hellfire Territories, which is rather protective of the design. Those models which are salvaged by the Davions are often targeted first by Federated Hellfire Territiories Common Army soldiers. Raids on Davion worlds gravitate towards those whose defenders are known to have models in their ranks.

Capabilities
The Dervish acts as it did in many armies throughout The Succession Wars, as a mobile fire-support platform. Thanks to advancing technologies, recent upgrades have carried more missiles, allowing them to act as hit and run forces, moving ahead to down or soften up enemy units before strikers like the Kangaroo or Slaughtermech move in to finish them off.
The ubiquity of the unit, its impressive firepower, and its omni abilities see it in almost every battlefield role.
The new Dervish is very rare in garrison forces. The unit�s price and omni technologies demand it be placed in front-line units which see more action.

Battle History
Now the President For Life of the Federated Hellfire Territories, Tait began his career as a pirate commander leading the closest band of mercenary rabble. His capture in 3064 was an opportunity for him to build the reputation of �Hellfire,� an indomitable pirate riding in a Dervish the color of a setting sun and accented black with the smoke and scorches of combat. Tait�s escape from the prison and subsequent exploits made him a hero of the people in the dissatisfied Davion outback.
Over the years, his Dervish has been a reliable command �Mech, keeping him away from the thick of fighting and giving him the mobility to run if things wrong. Upgraded to an OmniMech unit after the Battle of Chirikof, it was also the prototype for the line unit produced today. Tait still pilots **** Me for parades and occasional battlefield maneuvers.
What would become The Federated Hellfire Territories relied heavily on �Mechs like the Dervish during their campaign against The Federated Suns. An end run against their supply lines during the Battle of Chirikof almost gave The Suns a victory. Instead, it forced the Word of Blake into tipping its hand and dropping three regiments and the Blake Ascendant onto the battlefield to gain victory. The battle, and its revelations about the Word was a loss for everyone involved, except for Tait and his Territories.

Variants
The Dervish often uses its pod space to supplement its missile compliment, using light autocannons, extended range lasers, or more missiles to optimize it for its fire-support roles. The prime configuration broadens the Dervish�s mission role. An extended range large laser gives solid ranged firepower to back up the missiles while a trio of smaller lasers help it with infighting. It has a tendency to run hot, so a pair of machine guns were added so it can still fire while cooling down.
Those heat problems were the main concern of the A configuration. It carries an additional pair of heat sinks with only a small laser to add to the heat load. A small autocannon is carried in the center torso to extend its reach by 14%.
The final main variant is the B, which dedicates the platform entirely to fire support. Additional short and long range missiles with three tons of extra ammunition give it the ability to deliver overwhelming numbers of missiles to a target.
One interesting deviation from the norm is a �switch hitter,� which makes the most of the new missiles� lack of minimum range to maximize its city fighting potential.
The Fear variant used by Tait�s Rabid Cobra terrorist unit carries advanced electronics suites and missiles loads to both cause fires and maximize building damage. Flamers and medium pulse lasers are intimidating back up weapons.
The -6M line model with no upgraded equipment is still produced on New Avalon and exported to all buyers. That and the Dervish�s long history ensure that it remains a common sight on battlefields across the Inner Sphere.

Code:
DVO-10T Dervish
Type/Model: Dervish DVO-10T
Tech: Mixed / 3083
Config: Biped OmniMech
Manufactured: Federated Hellfire
Territories
Fielded:
Federated Hellfire Terr. (Common)
Federated Suns (Singular)

Mass: 55 tons
Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 14 1.50
(Loc: 2 LT, 2 RT, 5 LA, 5 RA) 91 pts
Engine:275 Fusion XL(IS)12 8.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5
Jump Jet Loc: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL 2.50
Heat Sinks: 10 Double (IS) 0 0.00
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit: 5 3.00
Actuators: 12 0.00
L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA
Armor Factor: 0 8.00
128 pts
Internal Structure Armor Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 10 22
Center Torso (Rear): 5
L/R Side Torso: 7 16/16
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 4/4
L/R Arm: 5 11/11
L/R Leg: 7 15/15

Weapons and Equipment Loc Crits Tons
---------------------------------------
Fixed Equipment
(CL) LRM-20 RT 4 5.00
(CL) LRM-20 LT 4 5.00
(CL) SRM-6 RA 1 1.50
(CL) SRM-6 LA 1 1.50
@LRM-20 (6) RT 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (6) LT 1 1.00
@SRM-6 (15) RA 1 1.00
@SRM-6 (15) LA 1 1.00
CASE LT 1 0.50
CASE RT 1 0.50
Crits & Tons Left: 10 9.50

Primary Configuration
(IS) ER Medium Laser CT 1 1.00
(IS) ER Medium Laser RT 1 1.00
(IS) ER Medium Laser LT 1 1.00
(IS) ER Large Laser RA 2 5.00
2 (IS) Machine Guns LA 2 1.00
@MG (1/2) (100) LA 1 0.50
Crits & Tons Left: 2 0.0

A Configuration
(IS) Autocannon/2 CT 1 6.00
(IS) Small Laser LT 1 0.50
@AC/2 (45) RT 1 1.00
(IS) Double Heat Sink RA 3 1.00
(IS) Double Heat Sink LA 3 1.00
Crits & Tons Left: 1 0.0

B Configuration
(CL) LRM-15 RA 2 3.50
2 (CL) SRM-6s LA 3 3.00
@LRM-15 (8 ) RT 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (6) LT 2 1.00
@LRM-15 (8 ) RA 1 1.00
Crits & Tons Left: 2 0.0

Fear Configuration
Active Probe HD 1 1.00
(IS) Md Pulse Laser CT 1 2.00
Guardian ECM Suite RA 2 1.50
(IS) Md Pulse Laser LA 1 2.00
(IS) Flamer LA 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (6) (Deci)* RT 1 1.00
@LRM-20 (6) (Deci)* LT 1 1.00
Upper Arm Actuator RA 1 0.00
Upper Arm Actuator LA 1 0.00
Crits & Tons Left: 0 0.0

*Decimation Missiles are SRM and LRM specialty ammunition types which deal no damage
to armored targets. Decimation missiles deal double damage to unarmored infantry,
terrain, and non-hardened buildings.

Known Issues: "The Word" should be properly spelled out as "The Word of Blake"; repetition of the word "models" under Overview; under Battle History "leading the closest" should read "always leading the closest"; explicitly state the Tait stepped into the role of "Hellfire" after his escape from prison; under Battle History "almost gave" should be "should have given"; maybe make up your mind on whether it's "The Word" or "the Word"; repetition of the word "small" in the A config description; under Variants "overwhelming numbers" should be "an overwhelming number"; remove Inner Sphere notations on equipment and note all ClanTech-equivalent equipment with a (C) notation after that equipment's description.
I write stuff, make podcasts, and say curse words on the internet. Pretty original stuff if you've never seen the internet before.
ghostrider
10/09/16 02:57 AM

Question about the fluff and the word of Blake. Did they get involved in other battles, but not the main jihad?
No history for me on the alternative time line, so I have to ask.

Ok. Is the 1.5 tons for the structure a typo?

I am assuming it has IS endosteel as 14 internals is attached to it, but that would make the weight 2.75 tons. Which still doesn't come out right on the math.
It looks like 1.375 tons for the composite endosteel. And even that doesn't work.

It looks like you have 12 tons for pods space, instead of the 9.5 you show.

Also the armor values are more then a normal mechs can handle, ie 11 points of armor on the arms with 5 internal points. 10 is max without the new modular armor out. As there is no internal room for hardened, this is an issue.
VanVelding
10/09/16 04:12 PM

The Word does get into fights. The fluff here should reflect they got reluctantly involved in this one.

I didn't update all of the stats from the template. The endo-steel structure is 3.00 tons. That means the available pod space is correct.

Internal Structure line should read: "Int. Struct.: Endo-Steel 14 3.00" Noted.

Correct structure values to reflect those of a 55-ton 'Mech. Noted.

As always, thanks for the help. I'm recording these notes to ensure that if I do pick this up in the distant future, I'll still have them to work with.
I write stuff, make podcasts, and say curse words on the internet. Pretty original stuff if you've never seen the internet before.
ghostrider
10/10/16 12:50 AM

Ok. Rounded up the endosteel. Good to know.
I do suggest marking the endosteel referance as IS and not clan, since it is a mixed unit. Just to keep it uniform.

The fear configuration has me a little confused. Is it adding lower arm actuators or removing the uppers? I would think it was adding the lowers into the unit.

As for the mech itself, it seems to be workable.
I don't know if you have streak 4 packs, but I would think it would be an idea to drop a ton of ammo for the weight to do that. It may save you some heat and ammo when it does lock, but then the 6 packs are fine.

As a side note, lowering the armor to fit the structure is going to give you over a ton to work with. Just shy of a ton and a half. This is going to be an issue with the fear configuration as it has no crits left. Or maybe not. Nothing in the rules says you have to use all the weight available to you.
VanVelding
10/10/16 10:13 PM

I think the actuators are the same mistake I made with the Quickdraw. WTH, VanVelding? Get your stuff together.

Make Upper Arm Actuators into Lower Arm Actuators, y'know, like the literal 'Mech construction rules say. Noted.

The Territories do have access to Clan Streak 4's. Were you implying dropping the SRM 6's from the fixed equipment for 4's? That would be reasonable, but this Dervish--reflecting its makers--is a bit of a sloppy, aggressive threat that's not working more than six turns ahead.

The structure is from a 30-ton 'Mech, a Clantech omni I used as a template for all of these files and didn't update to reflect the structure of a 55-tonner. 3/18/13/9 should be the actual structure values. That makes the armor relatively light, returning us to the "less than six turns ahead" thought process.
ghostrider
10/11/16 12:08 AM

I was suggesting maybe exchanging the normal 6 packs with streak 4 packs and dropping a ton of ammo. It would give you about 12 shots with each 4 pack, but with the streaks, you don't have the heat build up if you don't lock. As an after thought you could change the ton of ammo to add in a third ton of lrm 20 ammo.

As for the internal points, I didn't look it up, so your shortcut got me.

I just realized the A configuration has 2 more sinks, but a single ac 2 doesn't seem to need that. Especially when the others seem to use more heat then that.
VanVelding
10/11/16 01:11 AM

The Dervish A can dissipate 25 heat out of a maximum of 26...but it never will because the AC/2 & LRMs won't even overlap with the small laser and SRMs, especially not with so little ammo for the LRMs. Fine idea and I wanted another design to use pod space for ammo anyway.

Remove both double heat sinks from the Dervish A and add additional LRM 20 ammo and lower arm actuators. Noted.

Thanks for the help over this past month. There isn't enough interest to warrant further work on this, but if you wanted to read (or comment) more, I've got the rough drafts at my blogspot: http://vanvelding.blogspot.com/search/label/3087
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4617

Contact Admins Sarna.net