Armament:
2 LB 10-X ACs
4 Light Machine Guns
1 Infantry Bay (5.0 tons)
Manufacturer:
Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 40 points 8.00
Engine: I.C.E. Engine 220 20.00
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 0 0.00
Control Equipment: 4.00
Lift Equipment: 0.00
Turret: 2.50
Armor: Hardened AV - 104 13.00

Armor
Factor
Front 26
Left/Right 20/20
Turret 21
Rear 17

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Spaces Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light Machine Gun FR 0 1 0.50
Light Machine Gun LS 0 1 0.50
(R) Light Machine Gun RR 0 1 0.50
Light Machine Gun RS 0 1 0.50
2 LB 10-X ACs T 4 2 22.00
Infantry Bay (5.0 tons) BD 0 1 5.00
@LB 10-X (Cluster) (20) BD - 0 2.00
@LB 10-X (Slug) (10) BD - 0 1.00
@LMG (1/2) (100) BD - 0 0.50

An updated Zhukov for budget-conscious units, such as garrisons, militias, mercenaries, and other plucky B-Teams. Regular AC-10's are now lighter LB-X versions, also ditched the SRM rack for a spread of LMGs for crit-soaking and anti-infantry ability. The biggest change is the addition of a 5 ton infantry bay, making this Zhukov now an 'IFV'; carrying along into battle either a foot platoon or a squad of battlearmor. (my personal doctrine would be to carry a foot platoon internally, and have some magnetic-clamp equipped BA riding externally.)

Armor is updated to Hardened armor, as is (my) tradition. Price is a measly 2.1 mil for a decent double-big-gun tank with high survivability. With a couple tons of cluster ammo, it is also no slouch at anti-infantry/BA or anti-aircraft.

(I made this to be a lance command vehicle of a garrison unit: Each lance would have one of these Zhukovs (which excel at crit finding), matched up with three of my "Hetzer Gauss (Fission)" wheeled guns to knock big 22 point damage holes for the Zhukov's clusters to find.)
Karagin
10/18/16 08:50 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What causes the need for this variant to happen?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/18/16 12:37 PM

Doesn't hardened armor slow flank speed by 1?

I will say the infantry bay isn't to my liking in this particular unit. Might be the feeling infantry carrying units tend to be faster, and something this big normally is a main line unit. Might be the missing srm changes the 'feel' of a Zhukov. I know that is stupid, but felt it needed to be said.
Maybe the speed of the unit is what is making the infantry bay seem out of place. I was going to say pointless, but that isn't true.

The addition of the mgs, even though doing it to soak up crit hits is following the letter of the law, while bending the spirit of it, does add to survivability of the unit. Using the main guns to kill infantry was not a good thing for the original, and the body placement of the original srms limited it's usefulness with that.
CrayModerator
10/18/16 05:32 PM

I like it. Twin LB10X tanks are murderous against other vehicles and the price is solid.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Silverlocust
10/18/16 07:03 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Doesn't hardened armor slow flank speed by 1?

Not according to the game rules, but it does suffer +1 on Pilot Skill Roll
Retry
10/19/16 01:20 PM

Hardened armor only slows a Mech's running speed, so not vehicles. So my Nephilidae and the canonical Great Turtle lose 1 running MP, with the former losing the ability to run entirely. This Zhukov, being a tank, would not lose its MP.
Maurer
10/19/16 03:27 PM

I hate to nitpick, but how does hardened armor affect a vehicals driving ability?

I can see the thicker plates taking up more space on a mech and effecting it's agility and mobility on the limbs and joints, but how does it affect it on a vehicle. It is boggles my mind.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
ghostrider
10/19/16 04:53 PM

I could see things like a rigid body causing the chasis to roll and scrap the ground in low areas, like motive systems coverings, ie track/wheel guards. Maybe even flip the unit if going fast enough when it connects the ground.
Anti roll bars would not be present in a unit with hardened armor.

And no flex in the body might mean the suspension would have to work overtime to keep the unit from skidding/sliding and such. Almost the same thing as the first reason, but there is some differences. Not many.

It sounds weak for some solutions, and it is.
And vehicles have a few disadvantages as it is, I do like something that helps it get closer to being on par, but this does sound like a 'cheat' for them. But this should be in another thread.

Thought came to mind with how it works as well. Instead of having a small cover on say a maneuvering wheel, it might be solid across to protect the suspension/drive train, limiting the amount it can turn. Even getting the tracks caught up on pieces as well.
As I said. Not good, but possible.
CrayModerator
10/19/16 05:23 PM

Quote:
Maurer writes:

I hate to nitpick, but how does hardened armor affect a vehicals driving ability?

Hardened armor on vehicles makes it less likely to get crits and mobility damage so, like Ghostrider said, you have to better-armor those mobility systems. Making armor skirts that better cover tracks will hinder the range of travel available to the suspension. Likewise, tight, enclosed wheels will collect fewer crits but won't allow the same range of motion from the suspension. And so on.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Silverlocust
10/21/16 12:28 AM

This is what the Game Rules from the wiki states:

Game Rules[edit]

Hardened Armor provides eight points of protection per ton.[1] Though this is half the protection of standard armor, each point of Hardened Armor can absorb two points of damage.[1] As the armor is thicker and provides better protection, checks for a penetrating critical hit have a -2 modifier, essentially requiring a 10 or higher for a critical hit.

Hardened Armor also provides better protection against special armor piercing weapons: Armor-Piercing autocannon ammunition, Tandem-Charge Missiles, and BattleMech Tasers all have their armor-piercing properties nullified. When these weapons hit a location protected by Hardened Armor, they act as standard weapons hitting standard armor (AP autocannon ammo acts as a standard AC round; Mech Tasers inflict a point of damage, and TC missiles act as standard SRMs).[1]

Hardened Armor is bulky and less flexible than standard armor. Combat Vehicles and 'Mechs that mount Hardened Armor suffer a +1 Piloting Skill Roll Penalty. In addition, 'Mechs that mount Hardened Armor have their Running MP reduced by 1.[1]
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5730

Contact Admins Sarna.net