Disabling MRM Apollo system

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
11/16/16 10:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Just curious...since the MRM Apollo is a trade-off rather than a straight improvement like the Artemis system, is it possible to use the system "on demand"? For example, I'm shooting at an Immobile (Shutdown) target, I decide I would rather give up the targetting bonus in order to avoid the Cluster penalty. Is that possible, or is the system automatically active?

My first thought was to use a mix of Regular and Apollo-compatible ammo, but according to SSW, the Apollo doesn't use specialized ammo.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
12/01/16 09:56 PM

No thoughts?
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
12/01/16 11:44 PM

I would like to help, but this is beyond my ancient books.

As with other systems, I was under the impression you could turn most of them on or off when you wanted to (turn based), with the exception of things like heat sinks and such. But yet there are instances in novels and adventure packs that someone did turn off sinks to reduce the heat signature.

Given the turn based ideas, I might think the system would have to be shut down the turn before, or you might have to fire with it off on the next round. This is based on most actions like this being done at the end of the current round.

As for the mix of ammo, unless you have 2 different style launchers, I would think they couldn't mix ammo like that. I also thought the artemis guided launchers had to use artemis ammo.
But as I said. The old books don't seem to deal with things like this.
happyguy49
12/02/16 08:41 AM

I'll bite. As far as I know, the specific use case that you describe isn't exactly covered by the rules. To get an "official" ruling you would need to ask on the official forums (http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php)

That disclaimer aside, there is nothing wrong with extrapolating a 'good enough' answer using the fluff, rules for similar systems, and ones own own logic.

Other similar systems, (e.g. targeting computer, artemis 4, artemis 5) do not prevent the assisted weapons from firing if they are critted. Said weapons only lose the targeting bonuses. (for instance, an artemis assisted LRM-20 with a damaged artemis attachment can still fire, but only as a regular LRM-20).

Since it appears that your Apollo-equipped unit would lose its to-hit bonus (actually negation of the +1, but same thing really, still a bonus) if the system BUT NOT THE LAUNCHER were critted, or "violently de-powered", then it logically follows that if the mechwarrior or vehicle crew decided to voluntarily power-off the Apollo, that the same thing would happen. (i.e. negation of target bonus, but retention of higher cluster hits.)

Side note, i'm pretty sure you are right about Apollo being a targeting system that doesn't require special ammo. The whole point of MRM's is that they are an inexpensive 'dumb fire' weapon. The fluff for Apollo in Tac Ops says that it:

" attaches to the standard MRM launcher and acts as a kind of
targeting computer, aligning the weapon for maximum effect. Though the
results are far from perfect due to the missiles’ own lack of targeting sensors,
the result is a greater chance of acquiring the target to begin with."

I think that rules out Apollo requiring "special" MRMs.
CrayModerator
12/02/16 09:42 AM

Question asked on the official forums [edit] and already answered.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55618.0

Quote:
Yes, it can be. This will be upcoming errata.

Edited by Cray (12/02/16 10:54 AM)
KamikazeJohnson
12/02/16 12:26 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

Question asked on the official forums [edit] and already answered.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55618.0

Quote:
Yes, it can be. This will be upcoming errata.

Awesome, thanks! Makes the system even more useful.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4587

Contact Admins Sarna.net