TRO:3025 vs TRO:3025(Revised)

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
01/13/17 11:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Confession time: I've never owned the TRO:3025(Revised), and I'm really not familiar with the 'Mechs that replaced the Unseen. Anyway, yesterday I was skimming through the designs from the various TROs, and I noticed that Revised basically removed the Unseen (we all know why, let's keep that discudmssion out of this thread please) and put in downgraded versions of the Star League Era designs from TRO:2750.

Not sure if it's familiarity and/or nostalgia, but I can't seem to get excited over any of those designs.

So I'm just curious...which set fo you prefer, Original or Revised?

P.S. Revised: Holy Large Lasers, Batman!!
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/13/17 11:59 AM

The original was better, and when they redid it, they should have had a page or three of the stats for the Unseen and then sure the watered down SL designs were fine but they defeated the point of the TRO3025 in my opinion by leaving out the core mechs.

And on the Large Lasers, what do you expect when you no longer have the Gauss or the ER PPC.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
01/13/17 01:19 PM

I haven't seen the revised version, so really can't say much about which it better. I liked the unseen mechs, probably because that is what I grew up with.

Still think the 2750 version should have had upgraded versions of the 3025 mechs. I don't think those mechs were all designed during that time, but were downgraded as tech become unavailable. The fact none of the 2750 mechs were in the history of the innersphere in fights, nor were any produced to even be in battle in 3025 says it all.
I think the goliath was one of the first 'old league' mechs to be shown in the innersphere, that wasn't with the clans Wolf Dragoons. And even then it was 3025 tech, not league tech.

It would be interesting to see what they did with the 2750 mechs, but I know it is nostalgia for me. I think the 3025 would be better. The warhammer on the box is what I relate to for the game.
csadn
01/14/17 04:24 AM

I am old enough to remember OG TR3025 (and I even have a copy autographed by "David Levine" >;) ), and for me the choice will always be "Original".

Original illustrated (excuse the pun) why the majority of 'Mechs were Mediums and Lights -- Heavies and Assaults were badly overgunned for their heat sinks. Most Heavies could not even fire their two heaviest weapons and move without suffering a movement restriction or worse (one word: _Rifleman_); Assaults weren't much better, and some of them were more exercises in "just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*" than practical designs (_Charger_; _Banshee_); the Mediums and Lights tended to be better-balanced -- no salient flaws, but also not necessarily brilliant at any particular task (try fitting the Originals into the categories from _First Strike!_). The only real complaint about the lighter units was how units of a given size tended to all play alike (_Wasp_ and _Stinger_; _Shadow Hawk_ and _Wolverine_). That, however, was more a problem with the weapons lists, and the different-size ACs not coming until slightly later.

The SL-Downgrades, OTOH, were not only not well-balanced, but tended to have glaring design flaws (for ex.: Note the paucity of Mediums and Lights with Jump Jets; good luck outmaneuvering a heavier unit without them). And since most of them were designed around SL-tech (_Kintaro_ and NARC, for ex.), removing that tech tended to shaft them.

That FASA did not commission new artwork for the Originals at the time... well: There's more than one reason FASA isn't around any more.
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3852

Contact Admins Sarna.net