What Happened to CGL Website??

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
ghostrider
07/10/17 12:12 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Postal service comes to mind, or even older tech. Smoke signals.

So they did not run all of their stuff off one server or website. Or so it appears.
Having the official email having issues may well suggest even more damage done, or being done though.
I would still be leery of any thing coming from there for a while. Paranoid thinking.

It just sounds odd they would spring for different websites/servers for a website. But then that is accepting the barely making a profit comment as being accurate.

I would ask about the store info, but doubt anyone had info on that.
I might dislike some of the stuff they are doing, but losing the entire worksite means a good chance of losing battle tech entirely.
Karagin
07/10/17 12:30 AM

No the website's not need beyond letting fans know about their products or showing that game isn't dead, but hey why would anyone want to do things like that when it's easier to ignore problems and hope they go away.

And actually yes the website is needed, just like it was needed for them to be on top of things and announce that they have had some issues, but again honest answers seem very hard for the folks at CGL.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
GiovanniBlasini
07/10/17 12:53 AM

MX record for catalystgamelabs.com still points to GMail, which makes sense. Was the site hosted by rackspace.com before? That's where their DNS points as of today.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Wrangler
07/10/17 06:44 PM

I am not a facebook person. That said, I kinda feel homeless on the net without the Battletech forums. I hope they get the site to come back soon.
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
Karagin
07/10/17 08:29 PM

Well Wrangler, you can always share ideas and topics here.
Karagin

Nic JansmaAdministrator
07/10/17 10:33 PM

I'm not a CGL employee and don't speak for CGL, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Regarding the bg.battletech.com (and related) websites / forum / server and when they'll be back online:

There have been reliability and security issues with the current server, which is hosted at Rackspace. The server had issues last week, was taken down due to this, and is actively being migrated to a new hosting environment by a company that will now (finally) be responsible for their maintenance. Up to this point, the server had been maintained entirely by volunteers (primarily, myself).

There was no ransomware threat, and as far as I know, all of the data will be restored.

As you've probably seen, some of the sites are online, and the rest are actively being restored.

The http://battlecorps.com website was rebuilt a while ago as https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/, though I'm not sure if everything was migrated off it (e.g. subscriptions).
-- NicJ
ds9guy
07/11/17 12:47 AM

I understand them having issues.

What's the reasoning behind them not getting on facebook or other social media and letting the fans know what's going on?

Seems strange.
Akalabeth
07/11/17 02:22 AM

Quote:
I understand them having issues.

What's the reasoning behind them not getting on facebook or other social media and letting the fans know what's going on?

Seems strange.

Evidently not a priority
Karagin
07/11/17 06:37 AM

Which seems to sum up a lot of things for them when it comes to Battletech and such in general.
Karagin

Karagin
07/11/17 06:42 AM

Can someone tell me when does it take 9 days to change servers and when does a company NOT reassure fans and supporters that all the rumors and such hitting social media about hacking and embezzlement and other issues are not true?

And when it takes others who aren't linked to the company to run around and put out fires, sorry Nic, that to speaks volumes for things and shows more is going on then they are letting out. If internal issues are causing problems then they either need to fix them, acknowledge them and make it clear to the fans or admit that the current business model isn't working and revamp things. And why hasn't TOPPS stepped in and fixed things?
Karagin

FrabbyModerator
07/11/17 08:17 AM

Thanks for the update Nic. I understand you're not speaking in any official capacity, but at least you're less uninformed than the fanbase at large (judging from myself here).
Baldur_Mekorig
07/11/17 12:16 PM

@Nic Jansma: What is your opinion on the time they are taking to migrate the server? From the little some friends with IT experience told me, it would not had to take soo much time.
Daedster
07/11/17 02:17 PM

Priorities. Rather low.
FrabbyModerator
07/11/17 04:49 PM

Forum back up and running. No loss of data as far as I can see. Unread Recent Posts went back to 27 June.
The_Purist
07/11/17 07:08 PM

Can't log in and my last post or two is missing. Anyway to find out if they are working on this?

I get "an error has occurred" and "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again" message.

Since I cannot log in I cannot follow the log in/log out instructions nor access the forum for tech support.

Cheers.

Edited by The_Purist (07/11/17 07:16 PM)
ds9guy
07/11/17 07:46 PM

I'm having the same problem Purist
Akalabeth
07/11/17 10:07 PM

Quote:
Forum back up and running. No loss of data as far as I can see. Unread Recent Posts went back to 27 June.

They lost a week or so of posts, the release thread was on the 10th iteration previous whereas the current forums are only up to page 48 of the 9th.
Baldur_Mekorig
07/11/17 11:00 PM

From Worktroll

Quote:
Short form, semi-official response.

All the Catalyst sites went down due to a major hack. The BT forums were just one victim.

Professional web providers were brought in to manage the rebuild - we've been burning too many volunteers who've given of their time, skill, and blood, to keep the old stuff working, and it was time for a change of approach. This did slow things down while the new folk came up to speed on the 'historical curiosities' aspect.

And then we hit problems with the restore of the BT forum backup. After a number of attempts to restore the most recent backup, they made the call to fall back to an older copy, which we're now running on. Yes, less than ideal, but it's the first major data loss since 2011. For a volunteer-run forum, that could be much worse (eg. how many times did we lose the whole forums between 2000 and 2010? Five times? Six?)

Remember - CGL pay for the site & storage, but (until now) all forum work's done by volunteers - both front-of-house & back-of-house. The handful of people actually employed at CGL are not web gurus, nor do any do any tech stuff - they're too busy trying to get books out the door.

And yes, we're looking at options for better comms in the event of any future outages. Things like a splash screen from Word of Blake, at least. But concentration is currently on restoring service. And as the blessed Blake says, "Behind our efforts, let there be our efforts."

W.

Karagin
07/11/17 11:03 PM

So where did they post this cause it's not on their BT site and I didn't see Worktroll post this on Facebook...come on folks, they go down due to a hack and claim sever issues etc...and now we see it was a hack but hey they don't come out and say anything...what is really going on here?
Karagin

Karagin
07/11/17 11:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update Nic. I understand you're not speaking in any official capacity, but at least you're less uninformed than the fanbase at large (judging from myself here).

Uniformed? How so Frabby? I find that a bit color hit the rules there kind of hard, hey Cray you check this one out?

Could you explain your post Frabby? Since everything I have posted I went and looked to see what CGL was actually posting or saying and every BT Facebook page that cared enough to talk about the site being down ALL had the same thing, word of them being hack. Plus several folks well know, like Highball among others, pointed out internal issues that seemed to many not to be news but to others it was, like owe...folks not being honest about where money was coming from or how they were paying the bills, Coleman name came up numerous times. But uniformed...right okay. So please explain that remark.
Karagin

Karagin
07/11/17 11:15 PM

It is showing me still logged in, but I haven't tried to post or open the forums and NOTHING on the main page even hints at issues or problems nor anything offering an idea as to why they were down, not sure if that is a good way to run a company or keep your customers and fan bases happy or supportive.
Karagin

Daedster
07/12/17 02:23 AM

Well, it's up but it won't let me post or sign off.
Wrangler
07/12/17 08:31 AM

It's still down for me. I just check a website status (Is it Up or Down Now) and the thing says bg.battletech.com is still down.

As it gravely pains me, I think they should forget restoring the old data for sake of trying the site up again.
Baldur_Mekorig
07/12/17 08:51 AM

@Wrangler: Looks like its down again.

@Karagin: It was in the Board Technical questions board.
Moonsword
07/12/17 09:28 AM

Quote:
It's still down for me. I just check a website status (Is it Up or Down Now) and the thing says bg.battletech.com is still down.

As it gravely pains me, I think they should forget restoring the old data for sake of trying the site up again.

It was restored (missing a couple of weeks of posts) last night, although there were issues with posting and logging in. At the time, an announcement was put on the front page of bg.battletech.com.

Now there's something else going on and we can't even reach the site again, although it's a different set of errors now. The appropriate people have been contacted and it's just going to take some time to finish bringing everything back online properly.
Wrangler
07/12/17 10:33 AM

@Baldur_Mekorig & Moonsword - Thank You keeping us updated!
ghostrider
07/12/17 10:46 AM

Well most tend to overlook the fact that not all hacks do things now. Some are in the system for years before they go active.
I have the feeling their older back ups might have the virus in it as well. It could well be with them losing all the information in 2011, as pointed out in baldur's post, they had issues then, which might be what is playing havok now.
I want to say the CIH(?) virus back in the day only activated on the 26th of each month.

And from the new issues, is was more then just the server having problems.
Wondering if it was a security hack, for funds, or if someone took offense with a moderator/worker. Might be after effects of something like the wannacry virus that took out the hospitals and such in england.
That was microsoft's mistake. They knew the systems were flawed and refused to fix in until afterwards.
Anyways.
Is there a site or some such thing for those to send in word they are having issues with the site? Other then the 2 nic posted. Sounds like they are having issues with log ins.
Akalabeth
07/12/17 03:16 PM

Quote:
So where did they post this cause it's not on their BT site and I didn't see Worktroll post this on Facebook...come on folks, they go down due to a hack and claim sever issues etc...and now we see it was a hack but hey they don't come out and say anything...what is really going on here?

The post about the hack is in the Site Support forum:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58005.msg1334446#msg1334446
Karagin
07/12/17 10:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The post about the hack is in the Site Support forum:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58005.msg1334446#msg1334446

But not on their main page or the BT main page and nothing on social media, sounds fishy and a but under the table.
Karagin

Karagin
07/12/17 10:35 PM

Quote:
@Wrangler: Looks like its down again.

@Karagin: It was in the Board Technical questions board.

Thanks, but again that is NOT the main boards OR the main pages or even their social media accounts, odd that this has happen before and they just keep on blowing it off. Or so it seems.
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 44368

Contact Admins Sarna.net