Chain Whip and Grappling

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
02/25/17 10:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
According to TacOps, the Chain Whip can be used to Grapple with another 'Mech, and, if successful, neither 'Mech "may move from its location" on the following turn. I assume that would still allow the grappled 'Mech to change facing, since it still remains at the same location? Or is it completely immobilized i.e.no movement?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
02/26/17 01:07 PM

Hmmm. Had to change my thoughts on this as I was putting up an example. I was going to say it would be like a dog on a chain in my view. So that should mean it could move within the reach of the chain, even around the unit that has it chained up.
This might lead to the one using the whip to be tied up with it, if the chained mech could move completely around the chain master.

And there is not rule about weight differences?
I really don't think a 20 ton mech chaining up a 100 ton mech will be able to keep it in place, with being chained up any wheres besides the legs.
And if it is the legs, is there a rule about causing a piloting role, as you should be able to yank the chain?

Now as for other units targeting both, the immobilized question shines.
If both are considered immobile, that leads to easier shots on them and the tc's head shots.

I will assume the chain is an arena weapon, as using in with other hostile units may cause a major problem.
Another assumption, which I could used dispelled, is both could still use weapons and physicals, as I doubt the chain has much distance, ie basically physical attack range.
This also infers issues with the immobile issues... which should mean all mechs could target the head, not just tcs.
KamikazeJohnson
02/26/17 06:34 PM

Quote:

And there is not rule about weight differences?
I really don't think a 20 ton mech chaining up a 100 ton mech will be able to keep it in place, with being chained up any wheres besides the legs.
And if it is the legs, is there a rule about causing a piloting role, as you should be able to yank the chain?

Let's see if I have this right...A successful attack that strikes the Arms or Legs can be followed by a Trip or Grapple attempt, which is a separate To-Hit roll modified by the difference in Weight Class i.e. Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light, Proto. The Grapple roll has to be made each round to keep the target 'Mech immobilized.

Quote:
Now as for other units targeting both, the immobilized question shines.
If both are considered immobile, that leads to easier shots on them and the tc's head shots.

Good question...I believe for targeting purposes the entangled units are considered stationary" rather than "immobile".

Quote:
I will assume the chain is an arena weapon, as using in with other hostile units may cause a major problem.
Another assumption, which I could used dispelled, is both could still use weapons and physicals, as I doubt the chain has much distance, ie basically physical attack range.
This also infers issues with the immobile issues... which should mean all mechs could target the head, not just tcs.

Definitely intended as an Arena weapon. Physical attack range only. Both 'Mechs may use weapon or physical attacks, but not involving the arm with the Chain Whip or the entangled limb. Not sure if the 'Mech with the Whip can kick or if maintaining the grapple counts as its "one physical attack".
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
02/26/17 06:49 PM

Just re-checked the rules (TacOps p.289). Leg hit grants a Trip attempt (resulting in a forced Piloting Roll at +3), while an Arm hit allows a Grapple attempt. Any movement (including facing change) by the Attacked releases the grapple. No mention of whether the grappled unit may change facing (for example if the Whip attack comes from behind), or if all movement is prohibited.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4144

Contact Admins Sarna.net