Zellbrigen and the question of deliberate cockpit shots

Pages: 1
ristin
06/25/17 10:53 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This will sound very vague, but I was under the impression that the clans were very much against specifically targeting the cockpit, both technologies to specifically do so and individuals making a habit of it. My recollection was that chance cockpit hits were fine, but deliberately going for the pilot was a no-no.

Unfortunately I am not sure where I came under this impression from, or if it is correct.

Possibly a Zellbrigen description, or fluff text for some 'mech and famous pilot, or a targeting computer write-up. Or was this a IS tactic during the invasion that the Clans found particularly barbaric? Or I could be totally wrong.

If anyone can shed some light upon this foggy recollection, that would help a lot.
ghostrider
06/26/17 12:18 AM

I believe there isn't any real thing in the clans that forbids deliberate shots to kill pilots, as there have been several novel and story incidents about this happening. But none of them suggest the pilot surrendered so much as refused to end the fight.

The main one I can think of is Natasha Kerensky's return to the clans had her kill one of the bloodnamed warriors that faught against her trial of position to become the star colonel and run the 13th wolf spiders.

I want to say there was once warrior with a history of killing those that opposed him in the jade phoenix series.

And a trial of grievance, tends to end with someone dying, so this might help with your question.
ristin
06/26/17 02:34 AM

Thanks Ghostrider.
CrayModerator
06/26/17 02:34 PM

Quote:
This will sound very vague, but I was under the impression that the clans were very much against specifically targeting the cockpit, both technologies to specifically do so and individuals making a habit of it. My recollection was that chance cockpit hits were fine, but deliberately going for the pilot was a no-no.

Nope, not at all. MechWarriors are fair game - until they surrender or are captured. Zellbrigen emphasizes fair fighting with one-on-one combat to prove skill and conserve resources. Any Clanner would like to capture an opposing pilot (bondsmen are useful resources) and they'd be uneasy about killing defenseless opposing pilots in a wrecked machine, but there's not a *ban* on aiming at heads if you can.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
TigerShark
06/27/17 06:22 PM

Clan honor is misnamed. These aren't champions of the downtrodden and their sense of "fair play" has nothing to do with morality. It's an unspoken code of conduct which, if followed, will gain the Warrior glory for their wins in combat. In the end, fighting is the reason for a Clan warrior to exist. Killing an enemy pilot isn't even given a second thought.

For example, harming an unarmed civilian wouldn't be against Clan honor. It's not even seen as worth punishing in the Clan justice system. If that person isn't smart-enough to do what the warrior says, they get punched/shot/disposed of. Plain-and-simple. But shooting an unarmed MechWarrior would be a breach of honor. Why? Because you obviously couldn't best them in 1-on-1 combat, so you had to cheat to win. It makes you look weak.

So in the case of shooting an enemy pilot during combat, they'd have NO problem with that. At all. Unless the pilot had surrendered, or the terms of the duel were specifically non-lethal.

Edited by TigerShark (06/27/17 06:25 PM)
kit_ohnira
08/03/17 01:00 AM

Its like being a member of SWAT your trained to shoot the head depending the scenario but your told not to unless you have to. There is a key point that some clans trained for cockpit kills if only to ensure the safety of other members and resources since resources are valued though out the clans.
"C-bills can't buy peace"
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4974

Contact Admins Sarna.net