Harmony Gold at it again...

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/23/17 04:23 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Looks like with the Robotech movie actually getting some traction HG is at it again going after Battletech:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Wrangler
07/23/17 07:57 PM

Yep....scums of the Earth. Wondered why the Wasp was pulled mini. Glad my instincts was correct.
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
TigerShark
07/24/17 05:09 PM

I don't blame HG on this. I blame Hairbrained Schemes and Piranha Games.

There is NO REASON that the art for these 'Mechs should look ANYTHING like the unseen. It should be a completely new, ground-up redesign, like the Primitive Wasp.

http://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/7/7c/WSP-1_Wasp.jpg

There was nothing wrong with the Primitive artwork. In fact, it actually looked like some kind of insect. They could have either used that verbatim or aped off of it for a more intricate and "modern" look. No need whatsoever to have the totally-obvious, Veritech Fighter rip-off art from the source book and game. It even has the Super Veritech's armor and boosters on the rear of the MWO art. Come on... Nobody expected to hear from HG again?

I don't get the obsession with trying to ape off of another IP's art. Even when new art is made, it's frittered away on something else (Hammerhands, Battleaxe art could have been used for the Warhammer). Either way, these companies must have more money to waste on litigation than we thought!

Edited by TigerShark (07/24/17 07:27 PM)
Akalabeth
07/25/17 05:16 PM

They should have rebooted Classic Battletech years ago the same way the Dark Age was a reboot. How can you have Battletech without the unseen? It's like having WW2 without the Sherman. The other mechs from 3025 simply don't measure up in terms of stats and character.
csadn
07/26/17 03:16 AM

Or the Japanese artwork:

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/battletech/
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
TigerShark
07/26/17 03:49 AM

Quote:
They should have rebooted Classic Battletech years ago the same way the Dark Age was a reboot. How can you have Battletech without the unseen? It's like having WW2 without the Sherman. The other mechs from 3025 simply don't measure up in terms of stats and character.

Probably the same way you play Clan/Jihad/Republic/Dark Age era without interacting with Unseen artwork. I don't think I've met a Clan player yet who refused to play unless he/she could use an Unseen Phoenix Hawk IIC. lol

Also, speaking of stats: Some of them don't match up to the art for the Unseen.

+ There's a ball turret on the WVR-6R in the Center Torso and it's holding..um..something in its left hand
+ The RA "medium laser" of the Shadow Hawk is as big as a Large Laser on any other Mech
+ The record sheet for the Ostroc has hands and not paddles
+ The Ostsol has lasers in its arms and not on the stats to its lower left
+ The RFL-3N's LL/AC5 combo look exactly the same. No difference between a ballistic weapon and a laser in appearance?
+ CRD-3R has its missiles in a hidden chest compartment; no missiles are seen in its arms. At all.
+ ARC-2R clearly has a turret for the lasers on its head/CT(R)
+ Warhammer art still retains its RT/LT missile compartments from Robotech/Macross. The only missiles the record sheet has are shown on the right shoulder... not the right torso.
+ MAD-3R clearly has lasers in its torso surrounding the cockpit. These are easily seen on the Glaug and function in the TV series of Robotech/Macross.
+ BLR-1G has a hand-held weapon. It's not hand-held in the record sheet

Pretty sure there's more. But just MORE reasons the Unseen were inappropriate, even in their own day.
+
Akalabeth
07/26/17 04:19 AM

Yeah but, for a Clan player the equivalent of the unseen is not the Phoenix Hawk IIC but the original Clan 16 omnis. Imagine if those were stricken from the game. Have TRO: Clan Invasion without Timberwolf, Mad Dog, WarHawk, etcetera.
TigerShark
07/26/17 10:27 AM

If the original 16 had been co-opted from the Gundam series and I could easily recognize their real names? Yeah, I'd probably be ok with them disappearing. lol

But that's a personal opinion. I can't expect everyone to be the same.
Akalabeth
07/28/17 12:38 AM

Man that new locust really is a rip off of the Marauder. It looks more like a Marauder than it does a bloody Locust. Wtf.

EDIT - wait, not as much as I thought. Still does have some similarities, though seeing the court document about it, I'm less convinced.

Edited by Akalabeth (07/28/17 05:24 PM)
happyguy49
07/28/17 06:46 AM

This has always conflicted me a bit, as I've been a Robotech fan since I was about 12. I remember thinking it was COOL that art from a weird japanese show that nerds liked made it into a fun stats-based tabletop game that I enjoy to this day. It is a shame that it led to legal shenanigans.

I wish the powers that be would have reached a sensible halfway point compromise. Battlemechs using versions of the Veritech in humanoid mode should be altered, but leave the Destroids alone. (In my mind, Destroids ARE Battlemechs. Big, non-transformable walking tanks.) The Veritech was the star of Robotech (or Macross for purists) but the Destroids were minor side-fluff.

That said I think the Zentraedi based pod-like designs (Ostol, etc.) are goofy looking (except the Marauder or Officers Battle Pod.) Better designs could have been homemade.
ghostrider
07/28/17 11:26 PM

Money is where it all goes to hell.
And to be honest, those that came up with the designs and drawings should be paid for their work. Otherwise copyrights as well as patents would be useless. You make the idea happen and someone else comes along and does what they want from it.
I do like some of the original design pictures. And to be honest, it looks like the weapons packages for those mechs were taken from the robotech series, meaning it was not just the pictures alone.

Off this subject, Tiger Shark. Did you ever wonder how the anti air capacity of the rifleman was possible with a ballistic and laser weapon in the same arm works? Lead for the ballistic but almost dead on with the laser? And yet their targeting systems were supposedly that poor? Yet it is all hard mounted?
Requiemking
08/06/17 01:45 AM

So, we on the MWO forums have been discussing this very topic. Our assessment is that HG's lawsuit is a complete piece of money-grabbing Bull****. Not only are they claiming under a copyright they don't actually have, but they even went so far as to edit some of the images to make their case.

I would link the thread, but HTML is failing me right now.

Edited by Requiemking (08/06/17 01:51 AM)
Karagin
08/06/17 10:37 AM

HG has always been sue happy.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7824

Contact Admins Sarna.net