RAN-0R Raynor

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
07/29/17 03:16 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Raynor RAN-0R

Reposting one of the entries from a recent free-for-all match; I posted it before the match, but thought I'd put it back up for evaluation on its own.

While I eventually decided to pass on the Raynor in favour of the 95-ton Supernova II, the 'Mech did end up getting used in the match by another player; when he asked if he could use it, I cringed and replied, "Ok, but keep that thing away from me!" Unfortunately, the random unit placement did not respect my wishes. It fell victim to a murderous volley of Gauss Rifle fire to the back which proved crippling, and it was destroyed shortly after, but if that player had chosen a different target that turn, the Raynor had a very real chance at being the eventual winner.

Also...if anyone thinks this design is "undergunned"...it absolutely isn't; it was the only 'Mech that caused exclamations of "Oh, God" or "Holy S#!%" whenever it fired...usually hitting with at least 7 of its 8 weapons. Gunnery skill bonus (match rule, to compensate for it's smaller size), Pulse Lasers, Streaks, and AES make for a NASTY package. It had the highest Skill-Adjusted BV2 (4,128, to be precise) out of the 10 competitors...by a margin of almost 1,000 points...

It's only real fault is its lack of long-range weapons, but given that it was designed for a close-quarters arena, it's not hampered at all in its intended environment.

Anyway...thoughts?

Code:

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F-A
Production Year: 3075
Cost: 16,114,438 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,106

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (54.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Hardened
Armament:
2 Streak SRM-6s
2 ER Medium Lasers
4 Medium Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 114 points 4.00
Internal Locations: 2 LT, 1 LA, 7 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 300 9.50
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6 (5)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 16(32) 6.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 3 RT
Gyro: XL 1.50
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Hardened AV - 220 27.50
CASE II Locations: 1 LT 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 36
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 16 24
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 12 22
L/R Leg 16 29

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Pulse Laser RA 4 1 2.00
2 Streak SRM-6s LA 8 4 9.00
2 ER Medium Lasers LA 10 2 2.00
A.E.S. LA - 3 2.50
Medium Pulse Laser LT 4 1 2.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers HD 8 2 4.00
@Streak SRM-6 (30) LT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 15 Points: 21
4 7 7 0 0 3 0 Structure: 3
Special Abilities: CASEII, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
happyguy49
07/30/17 12:01 AM

I feel like this is pretty generous with the heat sinks, and could only overheat rarely and if both Streak 6 get locks turn after turn. Were I to fiddle with it, i'd swap the anemic IS pulses with X pulses, they weigh the same and have the same crit space but longer range (for some more heat). If not, drop up to 3 heat sinks for an ECM or AMS or something, I don't know.. but this machine runs almost too-cool.

Is there a spare crit in the AES enabled left arm? If so I'd put one of the medium pulses there and shift an ER elsewhere, maybe also shifting the right arm laser to the torso so you have a weapon free arm you could punch with while still firing every weapon in the left arm/torso. But these are quibbles, this is a good design; AES rocks (especially in making EVERY weapon, including missiles such as streak, artemis, etc. even more accurate.)

I can't believe you put 27.5 tons of hardened armor on this, that is great! Makes up for the otherwise questionable choice of a Spheroid extralight. This machine would soak damage like nobody's business.

EDIT: on re-reading, you have CASE 2, which is great, makes the IS XL engine even less of a deal, but why not bin the ammo in the non-AES arm and put the CASE 2 there. (spheroid case 2 can be anywhere, like clan case 1.)

Edited by happyguy49 (07/30/17 04:07 AM)
KamikazeJohnson
07/30/17 05:17 PM

Quote:
I feel like this is pretty generous with the heat sinks, and could only overheat rarely and if both Streak 6 get locks turn after turn. Were I to fiddle with it, i'd swap the anemic IS pulses with X pulses, they weigh the same and have the same crit space but longer range (for some more heat). If not, drop up to 3 heat sinks for an ECM or AMS or something, I don't know.. but this machine runs almost too-cool.

Couple points here. First, Overheat (if both Streaks lock) is +2 + Movement, so +4 in a running battle. Given the Hardened Armour restricts Running to a mere 1 MP over Walking, I would expect a sustained +3 Heat. Not bad in an open battle, especially considering the limited range, but this was designed for a specific arena event: restricted terrain, meaning there will pretty much always be a target within 9 hexes, usually within 6 hexes; Gunnery of 2 for the match, so To-Hit for the Streaks will be under 6 most of the time...misses are rare.

Valid critiques for a Line 'Mech...although it's extremely rare (for me at least) to design a Line 'Mech without at least 1 Long-Range weapon.

Quote:
Is there a spare crit in the AES enabled left arm? If so I'd put one of the medium pulses there and shift an ER elsewhere, maybe also shifting the right arm laser to the torso so you have a weapon free arm you could punch with while still firing every weapon in the left arm/torso. But these are quibbles, this is a good design; AES rocks (especially in making EVERY weapon, including missiles such as streak, artemis, etc. even more accurate.)

One Endo Steel crit in the arm...I put the ERs in the arm for the AES bonus, while the MPLs get the accuracy without putting everything into the one arm. Hopefully that makes sense...I played around a lot with weapon locations, this one felt the best for me.

Quote:
I can't believe you put 27.5 tons of hardened armor on this, that is great! Makes up for the otherwise questionable choice of a Spheroid extralight. This machine would soak damage like nobody's business.

It's amazing what you can pack on when you're not devoting a lot of tonnage to heavy weapons. Unfortunately, in the Raynor's debut arena battle, it wasn't able to sustain 2 Gauss Rifle hits to the same Rear Torso location...basically shredded it.

Quote:
EDIT: on re-reading, you have CASE 2, which is great, makes the IS XL engine even less of a deal, but why not bin the ammo in the non-AES arm and put the CASE 2 there. (spheroid case 2 can be anywhere, like clan case 1.)

This is a personal preference; putting the ammo in the LT leaves the RA basically expendable; the Raynor doesn't lose use of the SRMs from having the opposite arm blown off. If I had the crit space, I would have put the ammo in the Left Arm with the launchers, but I felt it was more important to get the ERMLs in there for the accuracy bonus.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3645

Contact Admins Sarna.net