Laser Cannon; Small, Medium and Large; just an idea.

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
09/04/17 04:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Basically a special Inner Sphere version of the standard Small, Medium and Large Laser, but with an extra kick.

Using capacitors as 'ammo' that are pre-charged before battle, the cannon has limited shots with it's powered-up state, but after that functions as a standard model of it's respective laser.

Just an idea.

Essentially more power, but with ammo that could blow up. Maybe more heat, better range, etc.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
ghostrider
09/04/17 09:32 PM

Workable, but the improved version of the standard laser set for the IS has already been done. Heavy lasers would be the answer.

But this does bring up the question of why the developers have never seen to allow a separately carried weapons that could be dropped when out of ammo, like a one shot, but not attached to the unit. I have seen where the 'strap' on lasers to units, but haven't seen rules to really cover this.
Something like jet packs for halo landing mechs without jets sort of idea.

I don't see why a manpack ppc could not be made into a harness to be used until the power pack is out. It is self contained for heat to my knowledge. Range might be short, but if you are ambushing someone, that extra oomph might make the difference between escape and revenge for the unit(s) attacked.

I can see this being something to look into for such a thing. Maybe a one shot unit that drops off after the first shot. Maybe doing heavy laser damage at er range.
Retry
09/05/17 12:01 AM

Quote:
But this does bring up the question of why the developers have never seen to allow a separately carried weapons that could be dropped when out of ammo, like a one shot, but not attached to the unit. I have seen where the 'strap' on lasers to units, but haven't seen rules to really cover this.

...Wouldn't that just be a Handheld Weapon System?
ghostrider
09/05/17 12:52 PM

Over the shoulder mounts, backpacks, chest packs. There is a slew of things. Mechs can carry things but unless something has changed, they aren't allowed to use weapon like a hand held ac. Well on top of their normal weapons hard wired into the mechs battle computer. The ac the wolverine carries looks hand held. Being dropped into a battle going on, speed is not needed when you land. So a throw away weapon might be a good idea at that point. Even defensive measures in a prepared position would benefit from this.

Even something that doesn't have a range, like an axe could an option. Yes, it should slow down the unit, and any heat needs to be dealt with, but a hand held ml should be 4 tons. If you want to force energy pack to power it, that would kick it to 5 or more tons, depending on how much you want to say is needed and how often you intend to fire it. Hell, the atlas has the coolant hook up labeled in the description. I don't see why it could not be attached to a weapon feed and extra coolant in the lines would be jettisoned once the mech was done with the weapon.

And yes, this very much looks like trying to get more then the rules allow.
But what a thought. A machinegun pack with enough mgs to allow a half ton of ammo to be used in only a few turns.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3826

Contact Admins Sarna.net