Gigantor III

Pages: 1
ATN082268
10/10/17 09:39 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Code:
Gigantor III (Dreadnought)

Overview:

The origin of the Super Heavy BattleMech dates back to the final years of the original Star League with Stefan Amaris and the original Matar or Behemoth design. Although the Behemoth design failed, the Word of Blake successfully deployed the Super Heavy Omega design to defend Terra in 3078. In 3090, the Lyran Commonwealth, under the direction of Archon Adam Steiner, started the design of Super Heavy ‘Mechs with the first one being manufactured in 3097 called the Gigantor. The second one, called the Gigantor II, was manufactured in 3099 and uses the same basic chassis of the original design. A third model, the Gigantor III, emerged soon after the second and many believe it will become the primary model for manufacture. Some have speculated that these designs were a perfect fit for his defensive strategies against Clans Jade Falcon and Wolf.

The Gigantor III is a 200 ton Battlemech that has a Dreadnought classification for being over 100 tons. Most assume since the ‘Mech is so gigantic or enormous that it was named Gigantor although some farfetched rumors say it was named after an ancient Terran cartoon involving a flying robot. Offensively, the design is equipped with 9 Large Pulse Lasers and the withering accuracy of the Pulse Lasers is further enhanced with a sophisticated Targeting Computer. Defensively, the ‘Mech carries a staggering 42.5 tons of Ferro-Lamellor Armor, Angel ECM Suite and 3 Laser Anti-missile systems to help sustain it on the battlefield. The Gigantor III is a blend of the first two models, adding some defensive measures while sacrificing very little in the way of firepower. Like other slow units, the Gigantor III is meant primarily for defensive roles and needs supporting units to maximize its effectiveness.

Game Notes:
Constructed using the Superheavy ‘Mech construction rules on pages 248-263 from the Battletech Field Manual 3145.
Model: Gigantor III
Configuration: Biped Battlemech
Mass: 200 tons
Technology Base: Mixed (Base- Inner Sphere, Clan where noted)
Engine: 400 XL Engine, 26.5 tons (Clan)(1 critical in LT, RT)
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Jumping MP: 0
Cockpit: 4 tons
Gyro: 8 tons
Internal Structure: Endo Steel, 20 tons (3 critical LA, 3 RA, 1 CT)
Heat Sinks: 38(76) (Clan)(3 Double Heat Sinks in LA, RA, 4 CT, 2 in LL,RL, 1 in LT, 7 in RT)
Armor: 42.5 tons of Ferro-Lamellor Armor (595) (Clan)(3 Critical in LT, RT)

Internal Structure Armor
H: 4 12
CT: 60 79 Front/ 40 Rear
LT/RT: 42 64 Front/ 20 Rear
LA/RA: 33 64
LL/RL: 42 84

Weapons and Equipment:
9 Large Pulse Lasers (Clan) (3 in LA, RA, 1 in LT, CT, RT)
1 Angel ECM Suite (Clan)(CT)
3 Laser Anti-Missile System(Clan)(H, LA, RA)
Targeting Computer (Clan)(LT)

Design has Shoulder and Upper Arm Actuators. Lower Arm and Hand Actuators have been removed.
CrayModerator
10/10/17 05:36 PM

I've tried very similar designs: pulse lasers, AMS, and Angel. It deals with the little super-jumpy Streak boats.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
10/10/17 11:15 PM

Your formatting cuts off half or more of your fluff. Did you take the weapons off one of your super heavy tanks and just make a walking pillbox? Cause in my opinion, this mech has the exact same weapon load out as many of your monster tanks. And while fun in that it's cool to build, this would never see the light of day in the BT universe.

Has all of the same issues as the super heavy tanks and the other super heavy mechs, it's slow, and it can be stopped dead by well just about everything else in the game with ease.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.

Edited by Karagin (10/10/17 11:16 PM)
ATN082268
10/11/17 09:38 AM

Quote:
Your formatting cuts off half or more of your fluff.

O.K. you got me on that one. I don't know what happened but I'm not overly concerned about it

Quote:
Did you take the weapons off one of your super heavy tanks and just make a walking pillbox? Cause in my opinion, this mech has the exact same weapon load out as many of your monster tanks.

Show me the "many" vehicle designs of mine that have the same or even similar weapons load out to the Gigantor III. If you want to waste your time searching, you'll be lucky to come up with a couple. And unless a couple of my vehicle designs are considered as "many", your statement is invalid.

Quote:
And while fun in that it's cool to build, this would never see the light of day in the BT universe.

Why, because you say so? Unless there are no canon 'Mech designs over 100 tons and there will never be canon 'Mech designs over 100 tons, your statement is invalid.

Quote:
Has all of the same issues as the super heavy tanks and the other super heavy mechs, it's slow, and it can be stopped dead by well just about everything else in the game with ease.

If these kind of units are such easy kills, then you should be glad when your opponent fields one or more of them for a scenario
Karagin
10/11/17 10:40 AM

Actually ATN it's not hard to find your normal 200 ton monster tanks with either pulse/targ or gauss load outs so no need to search we all know your pattern.

And actually there are 200 ton mechs canon type check out the TRO detailing Republic mechs and I said YOUR design wouldn't see the light of day given it's limited in scope and while fun this would never see the light of day. And if you need more of a reason it doesn't offer anything to show the class off, all you did was build a walking pillbox.

And yes I would indeed enjoy it if the other side used these, since all I would need to do is pin it in with mines and snipe and hit and run till it dies and or the other side gives up.
Karagin

ATN082268
10/11/17 11:53 AM

Edit: I added some extra communications equipment since this is likely to be a command 'Mech.

Code:
Gigantor III (Dreadnought)

Overview:

The origin of the Super Heavy BattleMech dates back to the final years of the original Star League with Stefan Amaris and the original Matar or Behemoth design. Although the Behemoth design failed, the Word of Blake successfully deployed the Super Heavy Omega design to defend Terra in 3078. In 3090, the Lyran Commonwealth, under the direction of Archon Adam Steiner, started the design of Super Heavy ‘Mechs with the first one being manufactured in 3097 called the Gigantor. The second one, called the Gigantor II, was manufactured in 3099 and uses the same basic chassis of the original design. A third model, the Gigantor III, emerged soon after the second and many believe it will become the primary model for manufacture. Some have speculated that these designs were a perfect fit for his defensive strategies against Clans Jade Falcon and Wolf.

The Gigantor III is a 200 ton Battlemech that has a Dreadnought classification for being over 100 tons. Most assume since the ‘Mech is so gigantic or enormous that it was named Gigantor although some farfetched rumors say it was named after an ancient Terran cartoon involving a flying robot. Offensively, the design is equipped with 9 Large Pulse Lasers and the withering accuracy of the Pulse Lasers is further enhanced with a sophisticated Targeting Computer. Defensively, the ‘Mech carries a staggering 42.5 tons of Ferro-Lamellor Armor, Angel ECM Suite and 3 Laser Anti-missile systems to help sustain it on the battlefield. The Gigantor III is a blend of the first two models, adding some defensive measures while sacrificing very little in the way of firepower. Like other slow units, the Gigantor III is meant primarily for defensive roles and needs supporting units to maximize its effectiveness.

Game Notes:
Constructed using the Superheavy ‘Mech construction rules on pages 248-263 from the Battletech Field Manual 3145.
Model: Gigantor III
Configuration: Biped Battlemech
Mass: 200 tons
Technology Base: Mixed (Base- Inner Sphere, Clan where noted)
Engine: 400 XL Engine, 26.5 tons (Clan)(1 critical in LT, RT)
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Jumping MP: 0
Cockpit: 4 tons
Gyro: 8 tons
Internal Structure: Endo Steel, 20 tons (3 critical LA, 3 RA, 1 CT)
Heat Sinks: 37(74) (Clan)(3 Double Heat Sinks in LA, RA, 3 CT, 2 in LL,RL, 1 in LT, 7 in RT)
Armor: 42.5 tons of Ferro-Lamellor Armor (595) (Clan)(3 Critical in LT, RT)

Internal Structure Armor
H: 4 12
CT: 60 79 Front/ 40 Rear
LT/RT: 42 64 Front/ 20 Rear
LA/RA: 33 64
LL/RL: 42 84

Weapons and Equipment:
9 Large Pulse Lasers (Clan) (3 in LA, RA, 1 in LT, CT, RT)
1 Angel ECM Suite (Clan)(CT)
3 Laser Anti-Missile System(Clan)(H, LA, RA)
Targeting Computer (Clan)(LT)
Communications Equipment (2 tons)(CT)

Design has Shoulder and Upper Arm Actuators. Lower Arm and Hand Actuators have been removed.

ATN082268
10/11/17 12:33 PM

Quote:
Actually ATN it's not hard to find your normal 200 ton monster tanks with either pulse/targ or gauss load outs so no need to search we all know your pattern.

So in addition to not providing any proof, you also include things like Gauss Rifles which the Gigantor III doesn't have...As an observation, it's almost like you want to call many of my designs easy kills while, at the same time, call them too powerful.

Quote:
And actually there are 200 ton mechs canon type check out the TRO detailing Republic mechs and I said YOUR design wouldn't see the light of day given it's limited in scope and while fun this would never see the light of day. And if you need more of a reason it doesn't offer anything to show the class off, all you did was build a walking pillbox.

How exactly is the Gigantor III more "limited in scope" than all the other 'Mech designs over 100 tons? And, for the sake of argument, even if that were the case, how exactly would that preclude the production of the Gigantor III in the Battletech Universe? Please, don't spare any details

Quote:
And yes I would indeed enjoy it if the other side used these, since all I would need to do is pin it in with mines and snipe and hit and run till it dies and or the other side gives up.

After you factor in some stuff like not knowing what forces your opponent will pick (including whether to use the Gigantor III or not), equal knowledge of the battlefield, mines can be cleared, thick armor and accurate long range firepower of the Gigantor III and dealing with supporting units on the side of the Gigantor III, please let me know how it goes for you
Karagin
10/11/17 01:14 PM

They are too powerful in that you are doing the min/max thing. And proof, simple search which can be done by anyone, and given that I am calling you out the sameness of the design should tell you that you are building the same thing all the time. And it is an easy kill given the rules that has it moving slower then many 100 ton mechs. Which of themselves are easy to kill off if you play a tactical game of using range and terrain to keep them from being able to really get into a fight.

It is limited in scope that it is slower or as slow as many 100 ton, it has the same issues those have, and to answer your question about it not getting built, it use 100% Clan tech beyond the the frame and cockpit and gyro, so which House is going to give you all of that or pay for it? And it's is a lot of money being put into one unit, the cost, which you left out I wonder why?, is something that will not make the cut when at a guess, you can buy an entire lance of medium mechs for the price of this one super assault mech. So that would take it out of the picture as would the need to have the right dropship to transport this monster, same as your super heavy tanks.

Now your last point, you are right that normally most won't know what they face if they don't have anyway of knowing about their enemy's forces, but you see forces are known, the idea of not knowing your enemy has super assault mechs is crazy and knowing that they will use them is part of what intel gives you as does planning out for the enemy being that 10 foot tall crazy monster that has all the cool toys. Yes mines can be cleared, but your mech is going to be hard pressed to do that. Your ranged weapons can be beat by terrain and using faster mechs, thus to roll to hit is higher, and remember here I am talking about the board/miniature game NOT the fan made computer game called MegaMek, so your targeting computer is useless with Pulse lasers and a smart player will swarm your Laser AMS with a mixture of missile takes thus keeping it's usefulness down and still allow hits to get into that armor and while the armor is thick hits from weapons add up and thus armor will break, and what support units? Anything faster then it is going to be hampered by it's lack of speed, and anything as slow as it falls into the same issues.

So for the topic on hand what mechs would you par with this? Three more of the same?
Karagin

Karagin
10/11/17 01:20 PM

I would also say toss the targeting computer and give this thing some indirect fire ability something is better then nothing, or better still make it a walking artillery mech, then it would be far more useful and while still a target and threat, it can at least do something beyond eatup BV and money or tonnage depending on how you pick your forces.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5323

Contact Admins Sarna.net