Crew house rules

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
11/01/17 08:53 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have done a little tweaking on Akirapryde2006 crew house rules seen here
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/179706/an/0/page/0#179706
I will be posting ships in new threads and will give a warning that these house rules will be in affect.

As I see it dropships and warships can't carry enough people to realistically invade a planet. You are talking of a hundred or so battle mechs trying to take a world that might have hundreds of conventional jet fighters, hundreds of more rotary aircraft, thousands of tanks, and a hundred thousand infantry troops. Then after that you have to keep hundreds of millions if not billions of civilizations under control. With a planet of a hundred million people even if one in a thousand decides to take up arms against the invaders you are talking of a thousands people fighting each mech warrior that survived the original fight that took the planet who has to get out of his battle mech at some point. What are they going to do destroy to a building an entire very valuable city every time a mech pilot is assassinated?

With the cannon dropships how is one to transport the tens of thousands of infantry troops that the invading force will need to keep order after the planet is taken not counting the infantry troops that will be needed during the invasion?

I don't see the difference between what a infantry trooper needs to survive in a space ship than what a crew member would require, a human is a human no matter what they are doing in a ship, so I put them all in the same boat under my house rules.

Expanding on Akirapryde2006 house rules for crew quarters.

All these numbers are minimums one can always give people more tonnage for better comfort, to have less would really affect moral. No human can be smashed into quarters less than three tons for four people. People need to have some room to get restful sleep and to have some room for a little personal space. If they are given less space it will really affect their ability to function.

1) Senior Officers Quarters, and First Class Passengers are calculated in terms of single rooms at six tons each room.
2) Junior Officers Quarters, and Second Class Passengers are calculated in terms of double rooms at four tons each room.
3) Enlisted troops, Crew , Gunners, and Steerage Passengers are calculated in terms of quad bunks rooms at three tons each room.

Dont think of space travel like traveling in an ocean-liner but more like traveling in a train. Outside ones own cabin there is very little if really much of anything at all for the passengers. Traveling by dropship and jumpship is extremely expensive so dropships where designed to pack as many people in the smallest amount of space as they can. There are dropships that are designed like ocean-liners but they are extremely rare and extremely expensive, millionaires find them prohibitively costly and would just pay for first class on standard dropships. Billionaires on the other hand might not think of anything of dropping tens of thousands or even over a hundred thousand C-Bills to travel in royal comfort.

Steerage Passengers cabins are; basically two sets of single sized folding down bunk beds, four basic acceleration chairs each with a folding tray the size of an airplanes eating tray, and a small space for personal baggage. If you have the feeling you are being treated as nothing but a piece of lifeless cargo you are not missing anything, at least the tickets are kinda cheap.

Second Class Passengers cabins are; two single sized fold down beds, two semi comfortable acceleration chairs with a small fold down table one can work at, an OK amount of space for personal baggage, and some space to move around the cabin with out bumping into each other. If you can afford it its well worth the extra expense for some basic comforts.

First Class Passengers cabins are; a twin sized fold down bed that can also fold to double as a couch, A very comfortable acceleration chair, a decent sized fold down desk with drawers and its own folding chair where one has plenty of space to work at, a nice amount of storage space for personal baggage, and a nice amount of space to be moving around the cabin. Some pairs of first class cabins have a movable wall between them that locks on both sides. This gives couples more space to have more of a large cabin than two privet cabins. If you are well to do and like having some extra comforts this is a really nice upgrade.

Luxury Passengers: This is how millionaires travel in comfort. There is no standard for luxury quarters each one is different but they normally start at ten tons and can go up from there. Its not unheard of for ships that have luxury passengers cabins to have extra crew members on staff to wait on the luxury passengers needs.

Ultra-luxury Passengers: This is how billionaires travel in royal comfort. There is no standard for ultra-luxury quarters each one is different but they normally start at twenty five tons and can go up fast from there. Its quite common for ultra-luxury quarters that has an attached steerage passenger cabin for the passengers personal servants. Its not very uncommon for ultra-luxury quarters that have to have an extra ten tons of passenger cabins one second class passenger cabin for the passengers to have personal servants and a couple Steerage Passengers cabins for security personal and minor servants. There are some dropships that have Ultra-luxury Passenger cabins that are hundreds of tons in weight. There are stories that of the five royal houses that they converted an entire small warship into a single Ultra-luxury cabin to travel around the Enter Sphere in. There has been no conformation from the great houses that some warships to have been built or converted for such use but it has never been denied either.

When calculating officers for the crew one does not subtract from the crew to add officers. All officers are to be added on top of the required crew and senior officers on top of required junior officers. For every five crew members rounded to a whole number there has to be a Junior officer (two is rounded down, three is rounded up). For every five junior officers rounded to a whole number (two is rounded down, three is rounded up) there must be a senior officer starting with the captain. The senior officer Captain has to have at least one extra ton added to his cabin as office space so he has room to do ships paperwork and other business, this is a minimum. For Clans that the captain who lives in a Steerage cabin the extra extra ton office space is still mandatory. If there is a designated first officer he or she can be allotted extra tonnage for office space but this is not a requirement. The second officer is not normally treated any better than any other senior officers on board the drop/jumpship or a space station. The first or second officer can be either senior or junior officers depending of the needs of the ships requirements for officers. A designated captain is always a senior officer if a ship only has two junior officers the ship does not have a designated captain when it comes to the captains office space rule.

Space Marines are counted the same as crew with giving better quarters to the officers.
Battle Armored Infantry are counted the same as crew with giving better quarters to the officers, one additional ton is to be added to account for each of troopers battle armor.
All fighter pilots, mech warriors and their tech crews are assumed to be counted in the tonnage of their mech or fighters bays.
All vehicle crews must be assigned quarters including any tech support for the machines. Better quarters are given to all officers.
Any small craft that are on board such crew can be required to say on board their craft and not be assigned crew space on the carrying ship.
The rules that transported troops are counted by the ton by the platoons is ignored. All transported troops must be given quarters the same as the crew giving better quarters to the junior and senior officers. The only way troops can be counted by the ton by platoon is only if they are on the ship for a very short time an example is from a planet to orbit or orbit to a planet. Going from planet to planet or from or to a jump point or making a jump is not allowed. If this rule is not followed then the people transported as such would not be in any shape to be doing anything for hours or days depending on how long they where transported as cargo and not as passengers in assigned cabin quarters.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
11/02/17 02:55 AM

There may be a small difference in crew verse infantry lodgings. Well on non military vessels, so this would not really affect the designs you put up.
But crews tend to get a little more room and fancier stuff in it, as they live there. Most infantry rotate out after so long, so being a little more cramped and less pampered would happen.

From the looks of what it took in the fourth war, they used a few hundred ships to move the troops, and it wasn't just one mech unit that took worlds. Infantry carriers were very much needed. Granted the do suggest a few mech only units, with only one such unit taking a few worlds, but you are correct in saying a single mech unit should not be able to hold a world. Get it to surrender? Maybe.

I am going to assume some of the cargo space on the ships will be reserved for the infantries equipment. I seriously doubt power armor will be stored in the rooms with the troopers.

From the quick read, it looks solid.
11/03/17 05:25 PM

I wanted to make sure that the weight of power armor was accounted for in the rules. Where it is stored is not relevant unless one is playing a game scenario where it is and then that can be up to the game master what the layout of a dropship is.

Since when did any navy really care about giving the crew other than high ranking officers any elbow space in the crew quarters? The Nimitz Class aircraft carrier has a crew of well over 6,000 people in an area of something like 14,700 cubic meters which almost all the area is devoted to the day to day operation and combat use of the ship

What is transporting all of these dropships? Jumpships are suppose to be really rare and each one only carries a hand full of dropships.

There are so many large holes in the game cannon fluff that you can pass an entire spread out space fleet through the holes and not even get within sight of the edges. I am just trying to make one of the many holes just a little bit smaller.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
11/03/17 08:31 PM

The better quarters deals more with troops being stationed on the ship, then something that approaches a cruise ship cabin.

The story behind the fourth war invasion suggested Davion pooled almost all of the jumpships he had available to put forth the invasion into Liao.
It is very interesting that the game says jumpships are rare, yet you don't see much fluff saying reinforcements were stopped from not having transports. I know the stories are to promote heroes and such, but even suggesting the units in combat did not receive help because there were no jumpships available. It always puts it as the local commander, just did not send any.

Granted, I am not sure if starships have more area compared to sea vessels, as it would make sense to have as much air with you on your trip. Yes, it is easy to lose that to pin holes or someone who doesn't really know how to weld.

And it is good to see the officers are above and beyond the crew numbers. I have seen a few suggest the officers were actually part of the working crew, not just screaming at them to move it along faster.
11/04/17 09:55 AM

You can have some ships where the entire crew are officers if you have enough gunners to make it so.

One thing you can think of are submarines crews. They have to sleep over, under, and around the torpedoes. The closest thing we have to space ships are submarines.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4365

Contact Admins Sarna.net