Calculating Defensive Battle Rating Explosive Ammo & Gauss Weapons

Pages: 1
tmr01750195
11/24/17 12:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am trying to learn how to calculate Mech BV per BT TechManual (TM) PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab.

In Step 1 Calculate Defensive Battle Rating, TM pp. 302-303, the instructions for subtracting explosive weapons and Gauss weapons is where I'm not following the process.

Per the TM a majority of Clan Mechs are equipped with CASE for explosive ammo the first item to subtract is:

1. 15 points per critical space of explosive ammo in the center torso, legs, or head (Clan Mech)

Does the above instruction mean that Clan Mech's with CASE must subtract 15 points per critical space used by explosive ammo?

2. 1 point per Gauss weapon critical space in the center torso, legs, or head (Clan Mech)

Does the above instruction mean that Clan Mech's with CASE must subtract 1 points per critical space occupied by a Gauss weapon?

Could someone please help me out?
CrayModerator
11/24/17 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am trying to learn how to calculate Mech BV per BT TechManual (TM) PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab.

Bless you for citing printing. BV tends to get a lot of errata.

Quote:
In Step 1 Calculate Defensive Battle Rating, TM pp. 302-303, the instructions for subtracting explosive weapons and Gauss weapons is where I'm not following the process.

Okay.

Quote:
Per the TM a majority of Clan Mechs are equipped with CASE for explosive ammo the first item to subtract is:

1. 15 points per critical space of explosive ammo in the center torso, legs, or head (Clan Mech)

Does the above instruction mean that Clan Mech's with CASE must subtract 15 points per critical space used by explosive ammo?

Yes. If you've got a Clan 'Mech with ammo in the head, legs, or CT, you subtract 15 points off BV per crit. Basic CASE is imperfect protection: an ammo explosion usually guts the protected location, reducing it to 1 internal structure point and still hitting the pilot with 2 hits. In the legs, center torso, and head, that's more crippling than other locations. So, -15BV per explosive ammo crit in those locations.

Quote:
2. 1 point per Gauss weapon critical space in the center torso, legs, or head (Clan Mech)

Does the above instruction mean that Clan Mech's with CASE must subtract 1 points per critical space occupied by a Gauss weapon?

Yes. So you'd:

Add up all your armor BV
Add up your internal structure BV
Add up the 'Mech gyro modifier
Add the defensive gear BVs
Subtract 15pts per crit of Clan ammo in CASE in the CT, legs, or head
Subtract 1pt per crit of Clan ammo in the CT, legs, or head
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tmr01750195
11/25/17 02:11 AM

Evening from WA Cray,

Thank you for the response and for showing the process.

I try to cite the source being used when I ask a question or when providing an answer. One of the advantages of having an electronic copy is I can copy and paste material reducing mistakes in quoting material and takes less time than typing usually.

When I started going through the process I did what you have outlined and then the other steps that mentioned CASE being assumed to be automatically installed made me question the Clan material. I think that I am straight for now.

Again thank you for the help.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3557

Contact Admins Sarna.net