Using Wizkids miniatures for Battletech? Is it ok?

Pages: 1
Stormcrow135
02/17/08 04:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi there,

I just joined this post, and i am just getting into battletech with my friend. I bought the 3 new core rulebooks, (starter set, total warfare, and the tech manual), and am planning on expanding my collection past those of the starter set.

I wanted to know if any of you guys would tell me if it would be ok if i bought and used some of the mechwarrior:dark Age figs (from wizkids) or the new Mechwarrior set (can't remember the name), if they are the same size of the metals, and compatible. I would of course strip them of there paint and repaint them, and rebase them on hexagonal bases.

I have not seen anyone on the internet(classic battletech players) saying that they do this. Although i am an avid wargammer, painter of miniatures, and i love pewter miniatures, but i can't really spend too much money on this new hobby.

Are alot of the miniatures from wizkids the same models(battlemechs, infantry, vehicles) as the iron wind miniatures, or at least close enough in size and dimensions to use after re basing and repainting?

I'm a newbie to this, so please don't bash me, i'm just trying to figure out what will be cost effective and possible to play a game that looks both tactically intelligent and very creative.

Thanks,
~Jared
Christopher_Perkins
02/18/08 02:31 AM

it is perfectly acceptable to use the Mechwarrior Dark Age Mineratures to play battletech...

In fact, many players use the infantry figures to play battletech when it is something that we have battletech stats for that have not yet made it to IWM.

the hardest things to get around are the size of the minerature vs the size of the hex...

but considering that the IWM mineratures are 1/285th Scale compared to the 1/900th scale of the map, its not too much more of a distortion to use the 1/160th scale mineratures of Mechwarrior: Dark Age, Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction, or Mechwarrior: Solaris on the same maps if you can get them to fit... (very unlikely)

as for using the WK minitures to play minerature rules... that could work out perfectly, the only question that you need to answer for your self is what scale you want the map to be at

if you use 1" to 30 Meters, that is 1:1181st Scale, and not to scale with any BattleTech Universe Figures that i know about (and you should not accept any "justifications" like "the mechs are moving slower") if you choose to do actual LOS, it is playable but NOT accurate if you choose to do this, it is solely up to you and your group

if you use 1" to 15 Meters, that is 1:590th Scale, and not to scale with any BattleTech Universe Figures that i know about... 2" to 30 m

if you use 1" to 7.5 Meters, that is 1:285th Scale, and is to scale with the IWM / Ral Partha Figures and you can trust your eyes at this scale if you are using these Minis... if you are using the Solaris Boxed Set Rules, its relatively playable, but if you are using the BattleTech Rules, 4" to 30 Meters uses up an absurdly large amount of real estate... do you think that you can swing using the gym or the parking lot?

If you use 1" to 4 Meters, that is 1:160th Scale, and is roughly to scale with the MW:DA, MW:AOD & MW Solaris mineratures and you can trust your eyes at this scale if you are using these Minis... or, roughly, 7" per 30 m
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (02/18/08 08:58 PM)
kit_ohnira
08/03/17 01:36 AM

Really anything from the fasa to catalyst that it is battletech can be played and used in tandem with proper set up, battle force scale is often used for infantry and squads as well :3
"C-bills can't buy peace"
Karagin
08/03/17 06:35 AM

I have seen folks use 1 hex equals 1 inch and the game played out just as fun as anything else. A lot of times it is the people you are playing the game with as far as what works or doesn't.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Rajaat99
12/15/17 07:42 AM

I have printed out pictures of some mechs, ones that I rarely use, and folded them into tepees and glued them to pennies. Now, I doubt I could use those in a tournament, but my players don't seem to mind at all.
As long as it has a clear front and back, it doesn't matter too much what you use.
"You are not alone among strangers, a way has been chosen."

Edited by Rajaat99 (12/15/17 07:43 AM)
ghostrider
12/15/17 04:08 PM

Well having them with a clear facing is another issue. Need to know the front is not between hexes.

The players should be the ones to decide what to use. Not everyone has the money to buy the figures, though a few of the box sets I got had them in there. Not sure if the newer basic set has the newer mechs in there, as the one I got didn't have jenners, panthers, wolfhounds, valkyries or the like. It was the original, now unseen, mechs in there. 2 maps. Reinforcements had more varieties of mechs in there.

Got some of the pewter(lead) figures for some of them, but not alot. Couldn't find some where I lived, so went with what they had.
boneshaman
03/14/18 03:35 PM

the way i see it. "if it fits it sits"

i have used every thing from MicroMachines "military/ Star Wars/ cars" ZScale/ Nscale railroad " trains/ tanks/ buildings" Warhammer 40k/40k EPIC, smaller Transformers, micro armor, random robots from some random Japanese anime game that i have no idea what the game is or any thing about it the miniatures were on clearance and they looked cool so i got them, and some of that MW/DA stuff. oh and dragons giants other mythical large beast.

heck if 3D printers were around when i was balls deep into playing BT i would probably make some Zone of Enders, Gundam or whatever mecha/ monster just to use them. me and my friends weren't above kit bashing some of our mechs and giving them some new weird alien like Tech.

heck we never played as the BT universe we made up our own we had everything from Vulcans to Klingons Wookies to Twilek Elves to Orcs D&D magic to Si fi science/ tech. and yes even..... furry races cat fox horse unicorns ect.

but in my defense i never even knew what a furry was till i got in to the army and found a really weird website for furry....stuff.
ours were inspired by reading a bunch of Sonic The Hedgehog comics.
AmaroqStarwind
03/28/18 03:20 PM

A bit of topic drift, but yeah, there actually was a BattleTech / Sonic crossover fan-comic once. A MechWarrior died (in battle, fittingly) and later woke up on Mobius, which was in the midst of a war. Good stuff.

Back on topic, you can use basically anything for BattleTech miniatures as long as it fits on the board and doesn't look too out of place, and I have even used BattleTech miniatures to represent my characters in other games, like Pathfinder.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Karagin
03/29/18 10:53 AM

Quote:

Back on topic, you can use basically anything for BattleTech miniatures as long as it fits on the board and doesn't look too out of place, and I have even used BattleTech miniatures to represent my characters in other games, like Pathfinder.

You can use washers and rocks as long as everyone agrees and you can keep track of what's what...remember the game started out with cardboard counters showing a drawing of each of the original 16 mechs...so miniatures are cool, but not needed to play the game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15510

Contact Admins Sarna.net