Tanks, Turrets, and Indirect Fire

Pages: 1
KoalaT
01/17/18 05:38 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If a tank with the IF ability has a turret which also has the IF ability, is it allowed to fire two Indirect Fire shots in a round, provided that there are two spotters available?
CrayModerator
01/17/18 06:35 PM

Quote:
If a tank with the IF ability has a turret which also has the IF ability, is it allowed to fire two Indirect Fire shots in a round, provided that there are two spotters available?

If you mean at different targets, then yes.

If it's firing at the same target, then you only need one spotter for an unlimited number of weapons.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
01/17/18 11:07 PM

There is one more thing that needs to be clear.
If it has two different weapons that can fire IF.
It can not use the same weapon twice.
And as a unit can have lrms and say an autocannon on it, it does not mean the ac can fire IF.

So the old lrm carrier with 30 twenty packs on it, could fire all three in IF mode. I would guess from crays response that up to the maximum amount of weapons and spotters need to be equal. I would guess one pack at one, and two as a second spotter is possible.
Karagin
01/17/18 11:32 PM

In a sense yes, but the same spotter can be used by other units, for example, if my Packrat can see the enemy mech, then ALL of my artillery or LRM equipped mechs can fire at that mech using the Packrat as a spotter.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/18/18 01:27 AM

So if a 'Mech or other unit had 3 TAG units on it, does it count as three spotters?

EDIT: Could a unit with 3 LRM 5 launchers use Semi-Guided rounds with the same TAG or will it need 3 TAGs for that?
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (01/18/18 01:28 AM)
CrayModerator
01/18/18 06:42 AM

Quote:
So if a 'Mech or other unit had 3 TAG units on it, does it count as three spotters?

Yes? I THINK it could paint 3 separate targets.

Quote:
EDIT: Could a unit with 3 LRM 5 launchers use Semi-Guided rounds with the same TAG or will it need 3 TAGs for that?

p. 143 TW:

If the to-hit roll fails (meaning the TAG spotter fails to
designate the target), TAG has no further effect. If the to-hit
roll is successful, the system designates the target for that
turn’s Weapon Attack Phase; the target unit is designated for
any number of attacks from any number of units using TAG guided
ammunition, such as semi-guided missiles (see p. 142).

So, let's say you've got 1 tank with 3 TAG units. You're facing three enemies, Baddie-A, Baddie-B, and Baddie-C. Your other units have 27 different guided weapons (because there's no such thing as overkill): Arrow IV, semi-guided LRMs, and laser guided bombs.

So, I think what happens with your triple-TAG tank is that:

1) It paints Baddies A, B, and C with one TAG each, making successful to-hit rolls.
2) You decide how to divide your 27 guided weapons between A, B, and C. You could send 9 to each, or 27 to A and ignore B and C, or anything in between.
3) Targets go "poof!"

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/18/18 12:39 PM

So, let's say I have one unit wit an LRM 5 or 'Mech Mortar 1 and Semi-Guided ammo. And another unit with TAG. Can I use a called shot [ assuming such a thing exists ] with the TAG to designate an enemy 'Mechs head, then use my LRM / Mortar unit to attack that part?

Also, could a unit with TAG and Mortar / LRM use it's TAG to spot for itself? Provided it's target isn't within minimum range of those weapons?

Also, Recon Cameras count as TAG according to Sarna, could I use 3 of those to paint a target?

I have these questions because I built a 'Mech called the Storm Caller which is a dedicated spotter / indirect fire platform hybrid, and it uses three Recon Cameras and a TAG to designate multiple units for tactical nukage.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
CrayModerator
01/18/18 05:53 PM

Quote:
So, let's say I have one unit wit an LRM 5 or 'Mech Mortar 1 and Semi-Guided ammo. And another unit with TAG. Can I use a called shot [ assuming such a thing exists ] with the TAG to designate an enemy 'Mechs head, then use my LRM / Mortar unit to attack that part?

Nope. After a target is designated by TAG, guided weapons make their own hit location rolls regardless of where the TAG beam is touching.

Quote:
Also, could a unit with TAG and Mortar / LRM use it's TAG to spot for itself? Provided it's target isn't within minimum range of those weapons?

I don't think so, though I'm not perfectly sure. The comment on p. 142 TW is:

"Targeting acquisition gear designates (or “paints”) an enemy unit to be struck by another unit’s weapons"

Though I don't see the harm in tagging for your own weapons. I mean, unlike spotting for indirect fire, you can fire other weapons when tagging. Why not fire off some guided weapons?

Quote:
Also, Recon Cameras count as TAG according to Sarna, could I use 3 of those to paint a target?

Sarna's incorrect. According to Tactical Operations (4th printing) p. 338,

"A unit with a Recon Camera can act as a spotter for LRM Indirect Fire (see p. 111, TW) and still make a weapon attack with no additional to-hit penalty but cannot use it to designate targets for other TAG-guided weapons, such as semi-guided LRMs, laser-guided bombs and Arrow IV artillery missiles."

Maurer
01/20/18 12:54 AM

If I am not mistaken, isn't TAG limited to one per unit? Also, I think the rules state the unit designating with tag 'may not make any other to hit rolls'. Or a unit may mount multiple TAGs, but only use 1 per round (no TAGing more than 1 unit). At least that's how I remember it.

* Multiple units can TAG a single enemy unit...
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
CrayModerator
01/20/18 02:58 PM

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, isn't TAG limited to one per unit?

That's ringing a bell...

But Tech Manual doesn't say anything about that on p. 238, just that there's no restrictions on units that can mount it. Total Warfare p. 142 mentions no such limits, either. It might turn up somewhere else, though.

Karagin
01/21/18 05:14 PM

If that is true it's another nerf to the electronics just like the really BAD ECM rules and same for the Probes...be nice if CGL would fix the broken rules vs ignoring them.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
01/23/18 06:16 PM

I hate to agree with you Karagin, because of my love of all things 3025, but Catalyst kind of needs to update the rules and fix things, not just ignore them or add new equipment and call it good. I mean, I rarely play anything over the 3050/58 era because of all the tech tweaks that just don't quite do it.
And yes, I might grumble if the rules get a massive overhaul and it changes from what I was used to, but if it's for the better, I'll get over it.
boneshaman
03/16/18 12:05 PM

Rules to me are just a guide line.

If you can see how to fix a broken rule their is no reason you can't change it for your games.

If you feel like their is no reason you you can't fire a PPC once you punched with that arm than make it a rule.

Yes I know the rules say fire weapons first physical attacks next and you can't punch with a arm just fired it's weapon.
Just using it as an example.

We tweaked the rules many times.

What's that saying? Rules were ment to be broken.
wolf_lord_30
03/16/18 05:32 PM

House rules work to a point, but not for rewriting the rulebook, messing with broken equipment or busted values. They work for a small group. But once you play outside of your immediate group, the rulebook is the only thing you have to fall back on.
Plus, for those of us whose only option is megamek, you can't break the rules and make your own. All you can do is check the official and unofficial rule options.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6624

Contact Admins Sarna.net