Mass: 100 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 152 pts Standard 0 10.00
Engine: 300 Fusion 6 19.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 34 Single 22 24.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA, 6 LT, 6 RT, 2 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 304 pts Standard 0 19.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 6
Center Torso: 31 46
Center Torso (Rear): 16
L/R Side Torso: 21 32/32
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 10/10
L/R Arm: 17 34/34
L/R Leg: 21 42/42

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
1 Flamer RA 3 1 1.00
1 Flamer LA 3 1 1.00
2 Large Lasers RT 16 4 10.00
2 Large Lasers LT 16 4 10.00
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 38 63 100.00
Crits & Tons Left: 15 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 8,718,000 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,850 (old BV = 1,553)
Cost per BV2: 4,712.43
Weapon Value: 2,362 / 2,362 (Ratio = 1.28 / 1.28)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 30; MRDmg = 18; LRDmg = 2
BattleForce2: MP: 3, Armor/Structure: 8/8
Damage PB/M/L: 5/3/-, Overheat: 1
Class: MA; Point Value: 19

My attempt at a very 'Old-School' feeling BattleMech. This unit uses Introductory rules and is a surprisingly cheap 100-tonner. The 4 Large Lasers may be fired while walking and the 'Mech will remain heat-neutral. The Flamers and Large Lasers fired together at a walk produce +6 heat, but also raise enemy heat and are good against Infantry or Vehicles [the latter especially when used together]

The fluff is that a company built a 100 Ton BattleMech long before the Mackie, but due to it's design limitations was never produced. Hence it's armament is just really big Lasers and weaponized heat vents. The unit according to it's original blueprints suffers from the Poor Sealing and Non-Standard Components quirks, due to it's "Primitive" status. The 'Mech would eventually be taken up by multiple companies as the first true 'Open License' BattleMech, and the Desolator 2D1E would be built with standard parts, modern materials and up to snuff sealing.

I had several inspirations for this BattleMech. Single Heat Sinks are a challenge to use, and I found a thread which talked about designing good BattleMechs and was filled with construction tips. I have failed to provide a link out of laziness, but may put one later if anyone wants one. At any rate, I liked the Starslayer from MC2, it had cool asthetics. As well as the Matador's Aesthetics. However, I also liked the premises of the Matador, but disliked the range of it's armaments. The idea of the hulking metal wall that is the Matador turning the corner and belly blasting an enemy 'Mech with Medium Lasers sounded awesome. However, the thought of taking the Starslayer's weapon mounts and hiding them within an Assault Mech sounded cool too. I wondered if I could use the Introductory rules, with their Single Heat Sink limitations to build a Matador with 4 Large Lasers, and this was the result. The thought of something the size and weight of an Atlas, with the wall-like profile of the Matador slagging off 2 tons of armor with it's Torso Mounted Lasers sounded too good not to post. The name Desolator came from the Flamers added in with the remaining 2 tons, and the Devastator, which has that BAMF vibe that a Large Laser vomiting Flame bathing 100-tonner should have.

I had a lot of fun building it, and I hope someone has a lot of fun using it.

EDIT: Due to some misunderstanding, the D1E was built with modern materials in a day and age where modern materials were not to be found. It therefore could not effectively utilize these forward thinking materials, leaving sub-par to the Mackie which utilized the standardized and commonplace 'Primitive' materials of the era. The 2D1E is just a 'safer' version of the original D1E and given the designation of '2' because it was very possible to build a proper D1E with all the jury-rigged haphazardly designed 'modern' materials, complete with Non-Standard Parts and Poor Sealing quirks due to being several years ahead of themselves. When the 2D1E was produced, it was in an era when such materials and tech were commonplace. However, one could theoretically place the original D1E against a Primitive Mackie and just hae to deal with the repair and sealing issues, potentially dying on hostile worlds or being unable to find components. I would've struck it with the Difficult tot Maintain quirk, but it's just hard to find proper parts for it, being so 'ahead' of itself. And those 'Pre-Modern Modern' parts just never quite made a good seal.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (03/13/18 04:03 PM)
Retry
03/13/18 01:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The original Mackie had Primitive Armor, which has 2/3rds the effectiveness per ton. A Pre-Mackie 'Mech would also have that armor type.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
03/13/18 03:55 PM

"The fluff is that a company built a 100 Ton BattleMech long before the Mackie, but due to it's design limitations was never produced. Hence it's armament is just really big Lasers and weaponized heat vents. The unit according to it's original blueprints suffers from the Poor Sealing and Non-Standard Components quirks, due to it's "Primitive" status. The 'Mech would eventually be taken up by multiple companies as the first true 'Open License' BattleMech, and the Desolator 2D1E would be built with standard parts, modern materials and up to snuff sealing."

This 'Mech was built with modern components in a primitive era, but doe to them being so advanced, they couldn't produce battle worthy quality. Non-Standard Components that had to be effectively jury rigged, Poor Sealing as a result meant that the Mackie with the more common and standarized primitive equipment of the era was the first BattleMech. Basically a Prototype, but one that could be technically built, just not safely or batttle worthy. The 2D1E was just a D1E made safely by using actual modern tech in a modern age.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I'll edit it to reflect that.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
CrayModerator
03/13/18 05:18 PM

Cool!

There had to be some attempts at BattleMechs before the Mackie. The WorkMech existed for about 80 years prior to the Mackie and BattleMechs, and some people must've stuck guns on those primitive WorkMechs. You went in a different and interesting direction by using more modern BattleMech materials.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
03/14/18 01:19 AM

I thought the most common mech used by rebels in combat was work mechs with machine guns attached to them.

As for earlier attempts at mechs before the mackie, I would think lighter weights would have been done.
I would think alot of them would have used tracks or wheels in the 'feet' of the mech, and had arms without really having much armor.

I do have a question about the flamers on this unit.
Are the vehicle flamers?
I would not think the modern flamer would have been available at the time of making this unit.
Not that this unit has them but jump jets would probably not have been invented at the time.

As a side note, the internal structure and a few other components probably didn't fit or were over weight compare to the standards of more 'advanced' mechs. Might be interesting to dwell into those possibilities.
AmaroqStarwind
04/07/18 07:59 AM

So, double the weight of the chassis (Primitive IndustrialMech Chassis), thereby making it 10 tons overweight and also giving the mech a forbidden component, and thus being given the Illegal quirk...

Until the Mackie comes around, then this thing comes back using a Primitive BattleMech chassis. It is still not as durable as a modern chassis, but it is no longer overweight and is now using a legal component.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4106

Contact Admins Sarna.net