Artemis IV FCS RT
CASE II LA
CASE II RA
C3 Computer [Slave] HD

Quirks:
Battle Fists (left & right)
Combat Computer
Difficult to Maintain
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chan Chu is a 3100s era Capellan Battlemech design developed to test the Tripod Battlemech motive type after a few foul run-ins with Republic of the Sphere's Ares Battlemechs. The Chan Chu was developed based on field reports and partial salvage from the more successful confrontations.

The Chan Chu was initially to be a 100-ton missile boat with ample backup weapons, but it was found that these design requirements were not realistic for the Capellan's industrial base to develop. The Chan Chu was revised down to a 95-ton missile boat with no back-up weaponry, although the mech still keeps its advanced combat computer from the 100-ton prototype. (It's curious as to why; the Chan Chu is well-sinked without it). The armament consists of two 3x6 Artemis IV enhanced Multi-Missile Launcher tubes on each side of its torso, summing up to a total of 36 LRMs or SRMs.

While the LRM content is matched by smaller, older IS designs such as the Catapult C4, it is the combined utility of the launchers that can fire SRMs as well as LRMs is what makes the Chan Chu truly impressive. While many IS LRM boats have to use a backup armament to cover their minimum ranges, the MMLs are the backup weapon for the Chan Chu. With just a flip of the switch, a 36 LRM storm becomes a 36 SRM hellfire.

The design has cavernous missile bays that, although optimized for firing with Artemis IV compatible ammunition, make it a good platform for any sort of role that needs specialized missile ammunition, including mine laying, mine sweeping, infantry tenderizing, smoke screening, and lighting anything and everything on fire with infernos can be applied by simply switching out ammunition bays. However, since all the ammunition is located in the arms, losing them will result in the Chan Chu becoming completely helpless.

The design has seen overall positive reception among the common Capellan Mechwarrior, with praise particularly going to the Reactive armor in its resistance to counter-battery fire and the MML launchers themselves. There have been several instances in city brawling of Light and Medium class Battlemechs and vehicles tracing the indirect fire of the LRMs, only to turn a corner and find themselves face-to-face with the lance staring them back with around a hundred SRM tubes. This has resulted in a new (ill-advised) tactic among Chan Chu pilots of firing LRMs blindly into the city in hopes that hostile elements will successfully track the fire right into the teeth of the three-footed frogs.

However, the Chan Chu is expensive for a standard fusion engine design, and the experimental 1st-generation top-of-the-line tripod chassis is exotic and not easy for techs to maintain. Whether or not the top brass will find the Chan Chu's capabilities (and Tripods in general) worth the extra logistical hit remains to be seen...
ghostrider
03/14/18 01:28 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Not sure about the crits on this, but would it help having smaller missile launchers on it?
Allow for a little more flexibility, such as not needing the larger amounts of ammo wasted taking out smaller targets, like jeeps?
Maybe not since the Artemis systems would have to be increased for use.
I doubt using something like smoke does any different when used from a single missile to the largest one.
Retry
03/14/18 12:16 PM

Replacing the 4x9 Artemis tubes with 12x3 tubes gains a lot of spare tonnage (10 tons), but it costs the same number of crits for the same number of missile tubes, runs hotter, and doesn't benefit from Artemis IV. The hotness wouldn't matter so much on this unit due to the combat computer, but I intentionally chose that quirk because the Chan Chu didn't need it at all.

There's no free crit space available on the Chan Chu at all, so I'm not sure what one would do with all that free tonnage. Add component armor to the engine, gyro, C3 computer, head components, and such is a possibility, but armored components is stupidly expensive C-Bill wise. You could change the engine and gyro to compact versions, but the Mech would be even more expensive and then you'd lose back all your free tonnage in exchange for your extra crits. If you wanted to add anything new with the 10 spare tons, you'd have to lose the Reactive Armor to gain crit slots back.
ghostrider
03/15/18 11:31 PM

Actually, I was thinking of only 1 of the 9 packs being split. But it seems to be a no go from the start.

I can agree that there is no reason to bump up the price for things that really aren't needed on the unit.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3524

Contact Admins Sarna.net