Triple Heat Sink

Pages: 1
Retry
03/17/18 12:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Triple Heat Sink "super-freezer" is an experimental piece of equipment that originated first in the Republic of the Sphere, and eventually found its way to the Clans which further refined the technology. However, their cost and limitations prevented them from being anything more than a supplement to existing Double Heat Sinks.

IS THSs sink 3 heat, weigh 1 ton, and take up 4 critical slots (clan takes up 3). THS can be combined with DHS or SHS; and in fact, they have to be. THS are far too bulky to be mounted in the engine, so THS cannot be mounted as part of every Fusion Battlemech's 10 weight-free heat sinks, or as part of their engine-hidden heat sink critical slots, which remains solely the domain of the Mech's standard heat sinks or double heat sinks.
Karagin
03/17/18 05:14 PM

Cool, my group came up with these as well, I will dig up the notes and share them.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/19/18 12:44 AM

I am going to assume this is not canon, as the engine heat sinks have never been an issue.
The fact the .5 ton engine can hold double heat sinks without an issue, and comes with 10 total. Single or double.

I do have a question of how the clans would have been able to make them better in the short amount of time they would be out for consumers.

Now with the ability to use with any other sinks, does this mean they solved the issues with mixing double and single sinks?
Also, since aerospace fighters can use double sinks, would that mean they can use the triple sinks?
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
03/19/18 10:35 PM

Why exactly can't you mix DHS and SHS again? I never really understood that.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Retry
03/20/18 12:45 PM

Construction rules say so, with the only exception in canon being Prototype DHS + Single HS. That's about it though.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
03/20/18 02:19 PM

I was more looking for a nerdy-engineering type answer. I understand the construction rules forbid it; rather I wanted to know the in-universe reason.

Probably could have phrased that better...
Retry
03/20/18 05:41 PM

The SHS uses Graphite radiators, DHS use a low-density but lightweight polymers (hence higher crit usage for a given tonnage).

I'm pretty sure the same circulating coolant could be used for polymer-based radiators and graphite-based ones. I don't think a nerdy-engineering type answer exists, put simply, especially since prototype DHS CAN be used with other heat sink types.

In-universe wise, it's probably not so much that you can't do it as it is there's not much reason to do it. Mixing heat sink types on a single unit is likely bad for logistics as you now have to have the knowledge and parts to maintain both graphite and polymer radiators, and the benefit of adding, say, a single SHS in the head of a mech that already has 16 DHS every which way is so miniscule that it's just not worth the effort that could be put to place a C3 Slave system, a medium laser, a flamer, or whatever anyways.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
03/20/18 06:03 PM

Huh, makes sense actually.

It'd still be pretty cool if per say there were rules that allowed heat sinks in the Head to allow a pilot to become less fatigued from heat, or having better heat dissipation in the same area a weapon is mounted for an extra 0.5 tons per heat sink 'attached'.

But I digress...

Anyways, thanks for the helpful answer!
Retry
03/20/18 07:28 PM

Quote:
Huh, makes sense actually.

It'd still be pretty cool if per say there were rules that allowed heat sinks in the Head to allow a pilot to become less fatigued from heat, or having better heat dissipation in the same area a weapon is mounted for an extra 0.5 tons per heat sink 'attached'.

But I digress...

Anyways, thanks for the helpful answer!

While it's technically not what happens, you could fluff that heat sink as assisting the life support's function and give your head-sinked Mech the Improved Life Support Quirk. (Interstellar Operations) Such quirks would be a sort of optional rule so your group would have to agree to let you.

Likewise, there's a rather complex optional TacOps rule that lets you re-route heat sinks to weapon systems that I don't really understand, it kind of sounds like what you're asking for in 'attaching' heat sinks to a weapon. Or, there's another (InterOps, I think?) quirk that reduces a weapon's heat production by 1. I think it's called an improved cooling jacket.

Anyways, happy to help.
ghostrider
03/20/18 11:19 PM

Now time to add in something that messes with this. The clan double sinks only require two crits instead of three like the IS uses. So some how, they took the same 'materials' for a lack of a better term, and made them less bulky.
The idea of the clans using the same materials and making things less bulky then even the star league had kind of annoys me at times. Nothing is said of different material, just some manufacturing processed.

Now. I will re ask the one question. In this design. The triples works with doubles and singles. Does that mean they fixed the issues with the standard doubles and single incompatibility?
AmaroqStarwind
04/02/18 10:36 AM

The issue with their incompatibility was entirely an arbitrary decision. There is no reason other than "make it so". A while back, I came up with a house rule, where any type of heat sink could be mixed with any other type, at the cost of increasing logistics requirements and also receiving the Difficult-to-Maintain Design Quirk. For example, having Laser, Compact, and Double-Strength (Liquid Metal) Heat Sinks all in one mech.

-

For the Triple Heat Sink radiators, I tend to imagine taking the existing polymers and coating them in Hexagonal Boron Nitride, Graphene, Diamond-like Carbon, what have you. For the coolant, I imagine using a non-flammable Polyethylene Glycol solution with a high molecular weight, containing ferrous and copper nanoparticles to vastly increase its thermal conductivity and give it ferromagnetic properties (a Ferrofluid is easier to circulate since most pumps already use electromagnetism), and finally using "Myomer Cardiovascular Pumps" to further assist the circulation of coolant.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6662

Contact Admins Sarna.net