Medium Laser RT 3

Ammo Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
LRM 5 Follow The Leader Ammo HD 12

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
C3 Slave RT

-- Designer's Notes

- This 35-ton Battlemech utilizes a TAG with C3 Slave to recon and spot for friendly units as well as having a Large Laser for medium range "Sniping"

- A pair of Medium Lasers provide extra 'oomph' at close range while a single rear-facing LRM5 loaded with Follow-the-Leader ammo covers it's retreat.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
AmaroqStarwind
04/07/18 08:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I thought the C3 Slave could already function as TAG, maybe I was mistaken?

Also, 245 / 25 is only 9 and a fraction, so two of your Double Heat Sinks need to be assigned Critical Slots; I would suggest the Legs.

Now, as for a name... Maybe Fennec. A small, fast critter, which is also very loud and thus good at getting attention, which suits its role well.

- - - - -

If you wanted to give it Design Quirks, then I would suggest the following:
+ Accurate Weapon: LRM-5. Complements the use of Follow the Leader missiles, offsetting their To-Hit Penalty. (1 Quirk Point)
+ Improved Communications: It can cut through interference effortlessly, ignoring up to one level of Sensor Ghosts. Furthermore, as a BattleMech, it can attempt a free Satellite Uplink without the associated penalties, giving friendly forces a bonus to Initiative. (2 Quirk Points)
– Bad Reputation: Because of the following two issues, some people really just don't like this thing. It costs full price from the factory, but selling it to anyone else, you'd probably only get half of what it's worth. (1 Quirk Point Rebate)
– Difficult Ejection: The small cockpit makes the ejection process a hazardous one. If the pilot fails a successful piloting roll, then they'll get injured. (1 Quirk Point Rebate)
– Non-standard Parts: The Fennec uses proprietary bolts, screws, fittings and fasteners. Must be from IKEA. (1 Quirk Point Rebate)
- No Cooling Jacket: The TAG produces 2 points of heat when used. TAG shouldn't produce heat! (2 Quirk Point Rebate)
+ 2 Unspent Quirk Points to use as you please.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
04/07/18 10:43 PM

IS heat sinks use 3 crits not two.
The c3 master mimics the tag, not the slave.
And quirks are not meant for everything under the sun. A quirk is an oddity, not something used to min/max units.

Ok. Why the extra heat sink? Your are running cold without it.
Why the rear fire lrms? They would be more useful when facing the enemy. The mech has some good movement, so not many units would be able to keep up with it in the open. Granted the lack of jets means slower going thru forests, but then the lrms wouldn't work, as the 3 tree hexes blocks sight. That kills the lrms being used anyways.

As megamek is not known for putting in information like hand actuators, I would think letting the arms flip and putting ermls in them would work a little better. That helps with firing arcs as the torso tends to be limited.

One last suggestion. Move the ammo out of the head. It crits and you kill the pilot. Now if all's you play is death matches and reroll everytime, it isn't a problem. For some, we grow fond of our pilots.

Might as well use the name of the ammo for the name of the mech. Follow the leader.
Retry
04/07/18 11:32 PM

Ghost is right about the Double Heat Sinks and TAG.

As far as quirks... ehh, Strat Ops suggests balancing quirks sort of like that. It depends on the Mech IMO, some Mechs are designed fairly simply but are also unremarkable and get no quirks, others Mech designs can be... well, quirky.

My question is: Why Follow-The-Leader ammo? It makes the missiles hit one location, but it's a LRM 5 so they're going to do that anyways. A +1 cluster roll modifier is negligible compared to the +2 to hit penalty (opposite of, say, a Pulse Laser), so combine that with the +1 to hit for rear firing weapon, you're just not going to hit anything.

A sniper should probably have a longer ranged weapon, like a ER LL or even a ER PPC. 15 hexes at long isn't a sniping weapon, even at IS Level 1.

When there's no CASE, I've actually found head mounted ammo to not be as crazy as it sounds, as the head rarely gets hit in the first place. Sometimes the head hitting weapon is a head capper, in which case the pilot's gone anyways, and those rare moments where shots hit and goes internal for a crit, the roll may very well hit the cockpit, which means a dead pilot anyways. I find that, say, an unaccompanied ammo slot w/o CASE in a side torso to be far more dangerous.
AmaroqStarwind
04/08/18 04:48 AM

@ghostrider I made a typo regarding the Heat Sinks, so sue me. (I still think Fennec is a better name, though.)

Also, I whenever I bring up Design Quirks, they really are just suggestions. In some cases, solely to add flavor. In others, negative quirks used to make up for a seemingly overpowered build, or positive quirks used to make up for a seemingly underpowered build... Or even, in some very rare cases, just to make a unit better suited/specialized to its intended role. It would be easier if a lot more quirks out there existed, but I'm currently limited to what's been officially published. Also keep in mind, a lot of negative quirks I suggest are not for the purpose of min-maxing, but simply to keep the quirk points balanced (in some cases, it's actually enforced). That's why I try to pick relatively harmless quirks, like a TAG producing heat, or something having an undeserved bad reputation and/or being built out of non-standard parts.

Maybe a better quirk setup for a Scout/Sniper mech would be as follows;
- Improved Sensors: You basically get a free Active Probe.
- Improved Communications
- Improved Targeting: Long Range (only adds a -1 Bonus, and only at Long Range bracket, but affects all applicable weapons?
- Low-profile: A sniping mech needs to be hard to hit.
- Bad Reputation: The mech is perfectly fine, but for some reason people don't like it.
- Non-standard Parts: If it breaks, good luck finding a replacement part.

@Retry I agree on the missiles; Rear-Facing LRMs + Follow the Leader isn't a great idea. That's why I suggested Accurate Weapon.

Alternatively, the rear-facing LRM-5 could be moved to the Arm so that it can flip itself forwards and backwards, with the ammunition mounted in the arm as well. Installing Artemis IV would add 1 ton of weight and 1 crit to the weapon, and you couldn't use Follow the Leader ammunition, but it provides a +2 to Cluster Hits without penalizing gunnery checks. The ammo could also be moved over to the arm.

The Large Laser, meanwhile, could be moved to the other arm, upgraded to an ER model, and paired up with an Actuator Enhancement System.

Meanwhile, the extra 1.5 tons of weight needed for those modifications could be provided by merely using an XL Gyro, since the Center Torso would no longer be occupied.

Both Medium Lasers could be upgraded to ER Models, and could use a Directional Torso Mount (design quirk) so that they could still change facing separately despite being part of the Torso. Combat Computer could also be taken, which reduces the amount of heat produced each turn by 4, and combined with 4 instances of Improved Cooling Jacket (once for each applicable weapon), it would mean that you could drop the 11th Double Heat Sink and mount a single pair of Jump Jets.
Upgrading to Light Ferro-Fibrous Armor and an Endo Steel Chassis would also free up weight for 3 more Jump Jets and some CASE.

Also, one more thing!

The design quirk, Searchlight, requires that you allocate a single Critical Slot to the searchlight. Even if you don't care about having a Searchlight, it still makes a nice Crit-Buffer because it's weight free (though additional searchlights are half-a-ton apiece).
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3501

Contact Admins Sarna.net