Long Tom Ammo RT 5
Long Tom Ammo RT 5
Long Tom Ammo RT 5
Long Tom Ammo RT 5

Equipment Loc
CASE II RT

Quirks:
Narrow/Low Profile
Semi-Compact 'Mech (Can fit into a standard Battlemech bay)
Fast Reload

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Abbot Prime
Base Tech Level: Experimental (IS)
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced 3145+
Standard -
Tech Rating: E/X-X-F-F

Weight: 105 tons
BV: 2,729
Cost: 13,738,587 C-bills
Source: Lyran Commonwealth

Movement: 3/5
Engine: 315
Double Heat Sinks: 15 [30]
Cockpit: Superheavy Cockpit
Gyro: Superheavy Gyro

Internal: 158 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 320/319 (Reactive)
Internal Armor
Head 4 12
Center Torso 32 48
Center Torso (rear) 16
Right Torso 22 33
Right Torso (rear) 11
Left Torso 22 33
Left Torso (rear) 11
Right Arm 17 34
Left Arm 17 34
Right Leg 22 44
Left Leg 22 44

Weapons Loc Heat Omni
Long Tom Cannon RA 20 Pod
Plasma Rifle RA 10 Pod

Ammo Loc Shots Omni
Long Tom Cannon Ammo RT 5 Pod
Plasma Rifle Ammo CT 10 Pod
Plasma Rifle Ammo CT 10 Pod

Equipment Loc Omni
CASE II RT Pod
C3 Computer [Slave] HD Pod

Quirks:
Narrow/Low Profile
Semi-Compact 'Mech (Can fit in a standard 'Mech bay)
Fast Reload

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Abbot is (barely) a Lyran super-heavy battlemech designed with one bold goal in mind: Carrying the Long Tom Artillery Piece on a mobile, self-propelled chassis. The design requirement resulted in two different projects, a Battlemech and a Hovercraft, which both made it to production status, which have also had less successful Omnivariants developed from the originals.

Both projects had the same project manager assigned to them, who was experienced at managing such exotic projects. He kept the design teams humble by discarding some of their more exotic ideas like turning the Abbot to a 200-tonner. Under his guidance, the Long Tom Carrier Projects continued on-time and without cost overruns, resulting in a design that was fairly practical and affordable.

The final product, the Abbot "Super-Heavy" Artillery Mech, weighs only 5 tons more than an Atlas. In fact, its size and silhouette is hardly any different than Assault-class Battlemechs, making the Abbot nearly indistinguishable from the two (and is, in fact, simply lumped in as an Assault Mech by Lyran Quartermasters, who don't consider 105 tons to be big enough to be a "real" superheavy.). The Abbot is even compact enough to fit in a typical Mech Bay, although not without difficulty.

As an artillery vehicle, the Abbot isn't flashy for a superheavy battlemech but it gets the job done. Its only armament is a Long Tom cannon split between its gun-arm and torso with a truly cavernous bay of 5 doubled-up LT ammo bays protected by CASE II, allowing for over 8 minutes of sustained artillery fire. Reactive armor is attached to the Abbot to provide protection against counter-battery fire, and the Abbot is just fast enough to keep up with the typical Assault Mech formation. And while a cost of 9,000,000+ C-Bills can hardly be considered cheap, the price isn't that far off from the older Helepolis design with additional lethality in comparison, and the design is much cheaper than Clan equivalents like the Naga despite its super-heavy weight, giving the Abbot a definitive and useful role in the Lyran arsenal.

The success of the Abbot resulted in an "Omnification" project for the Mech, although this wasn't as successful as the original artillery mech since it didn't fulfill any untapped, distinct roles like the original Abbot did and couldn't really carry anything more than a similar assault Mech. In practice, the Abbot OmniMech would often use the pod space to simply convert the Mech with a Long Tom configuration, like the original.
Karagin
03/23/18 11:21 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is it's helper Costello?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Reiter
03/24/18 08:02 AM

Quote:
Is it's helper Costello?

*rimshot*
Karagin
03/25/18 01:47 PM

Clearly you didn't get the joke Reiter...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Reiter
03/25/18 03:19 PM

Quote:
Clearly you didn't get the joke Reiter...

*sigh*

Like Sonny light in my face blinding me, I can Cher I sort of get it and not get it at the same time (I have heard of the names and watched the original Stooges in syndication). Before my time really, but there was a line from a cartoon of my youth of the late 80s during in an the into to the characters with I do remember the phrase "Like Abbot and Costello, like Sonny and Cher, perfectly mismatched" yada yada .

I got that you where telling a joke, just not what it was exactly and when I saw "Abbot/Costello" I kind of heard a rimshot in my head
ghostrider
03/25/18 10:59 PM

I guess there isn't any rules suggesting a pod can not to into an adjoining part of a mech, though there should be.
Much along the reasons a LAM can't have certain items in them.
As a side note, anything with a long tom should not fit in any standard bay. I would figure the barrel long enough to stick out as it should be the longest barrel of all non capital weapons available. But probably wrong there as well.

I am guessing you could not fit this in a mech 5 tons lighter, so went with the super heavy.
I looks like it would help moble battles in the front lines, but for some reason it looks to be better used by garrison units that need artillery, but have too many places they could not hit without moving the barrel.

Ok. What am I missing that the second one holds more things then the first, and the only exception I can see is the omni factor in it?
Retry
03/26/18 12:38 PM

I'm not sure about the rules concerning omni-pod equipment being split among multiple locations.

Currently, the rules are basically that any equipment that can fit on a battlemech will fit in the bay, as long as the BM fits the construction rules. Although, a Superheavy Battlemech can't actually fit in a normal battlemech bay (hence my use of a custom quirk). So a Long Tom vehicle could fit in a Heavy Vehicle Bay, or a Small Craft with a Long Tom could fit in a Small Craft bay if you wanted one for some reason.

Yep, the equipment simply cannot fit on a lighter chassis. The Long Tom Artillery Piece has 30 crits on a 100 tonner and can only be split in 2 adjacent locations (which have 12 free spots at maximum), so it simply cannot fit on the Battlemech. Making it a 105 ton superheavy "compacts" the critical slots substantially, effectively halving the crit space of equipment. That Long Tom Artillery Cannon now takes up 15 crit slots, and thus can be mounted by splitting between an arm and torso location. (The halving of crit space also allows for two tons of ammunition to be "doubled up" in one location, so a lot of CASE II protected alternative ammo types can be utilized).

I made the custom quirks with the narrow/low profile and semi-compact 'Mech on the idea that this new Superheavy wasn't significantly larger than Assault 'Mechs and was more comparable to those than actual Superheavies like the Ares and Poseidon. Even without those quirks, if you stuff the Abbot in Dropship Cargo and deploy it after the normal assaults get their day in the sun, the Abbot can still be practical in an invasion scenario.

The Abbot is cheap enough to be used in a garrison setting, certainly. Any Garrison that can afford superheavy battlemechs, anyways. It's cheaper than XL engined Heavies and Assaults, at least.

The 2nd Abbot holds the same tonnage of things, it just uses that snub-nosed Artillery Cannon (which is 10 tons lighter) instead of the full-fledge artillery piece that does more damage and can hit across multiple maps. It's simply an omnified version of the original Abbot, whose Prime version differed slightly in armament to the original artillery version.
ghostrider
03/27/18 11:34 PM

More new things I don't know about. The snub nosed artillery piece.

The first one is more in a budget for garrisons then you might think. The original atlas was in that general range. The expertise for working on the mech might be the difference.

I believe another unit had an artillery piece in it, and it was proposed (home rules) that is had some sort of bracing so the mech could fire a long tom, and not end on is butt from the kick. Also would have to be stationary to avoid ever worse.

Do you have any plans of a variant using this chasis, but may carrying a different artillery piece? Not that this really needs it, but it may help with the fluff in sales.
Retry
03/27/18 11:51 PM

Quote:
More new things I don't know about. The snub nosed artillery piece.

The first one is more in a budget for garrisons then you might think. The original atlas was in that general range. The expertise for working on the mech might be the difference.

I believe another unit had an artillery piece in it, and it was proposed (home rules) that is had some sort of bracing so the mech could fire a long tom, and not end on is butt from the kick. Also would have to be stationary to avoid ever worse.

Do you have any plans of a variant using this chasis, but may carrying a different artillery piece? Not that this really needs it, but it may help with the fluff in sales.

I've posted units with artillery cannons a while ago, so the weapon itself has been here a while.

As for other variants, the Omnimech variant of the Abbot can easily carry other artillery pieces, like 2x Arrow IVs, 2x Thumper Cannons, or a Sniper with additional equipment or secondary weapons.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5038

Contact Admins Sarna.net