Continuity Reboot?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
AmaroqStarwind
03/28/18 02:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A lot of people are getting very angry with BattleTech lore as a whole, acting like everything that came out after the Succession Wars did nothing but ruin the "medieval dark age in space" aesthetic of 3025.

Does anybody else think that a secondary product line should be made as a way to appease this crowd, taking place in its own rebooted continuity? Let me know what you think.
Continuity Reboot? (Explain your answer)
You may choose only one
Yes
No
If so, Alternate Product Line? (Explain your answer)
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (03/28/18 01:35 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
FrabbyModerator
03/28/18 04:27 PM

Having an unbroken single continuity is one of the BattleTech universe's strongest selling points.

There was one single April Fools product exploring an alternate timeline, and even that one heavily tied into, and supported, the main timeline by providing a look at various characters and situations from a different, hypthetical angle that served to better explain how and what they were in the real setting.

My impression is that all franchises that allowed for alternate timelines, extra dimensions, multiverses or otherwise massive reboots suffered for it.
If the fanbase couldn't agree to follow one main timeline then they won't agree on any other timeline either. You can't improve the setting by splitting it, but you can split the fanbase and create ever smaller target audiences for your timeline-specific products - which amounts to shooting yourself in the foot. For no possible gain.
In my opinion, that's a bad bad idea.
AmaroqStarwind
03/28/18 04:56 PM

Empires Aflame was Halloween, not April Fool's.

Besides, I mainly only suggest this because I'm tired of 3025 Elitists harassing the members of the community who enjoyed The Clan Invasion and onwards, I even voted No to my own poll because I don't actually think this is a good idea, but it is the best idea I can personally come up with in regards to appeasing an already divided community.

AmaroqStarwind
03/28/18 05:07 PM

Also... The "edit" button does nothing at all when I click on it for some reason.

ghostrider
03/29/18 04:16 PM

There are plenty of issues with some things in the continuity of the game.
Infantry damage being changed would have dramatically changed the outcome of more then a few battles.
Some of the things from 2750 would have changed more then a few things, though I am giving that some leeway, as those ideas were not around when the game started.

The idea that comstar and the clans being from star league did not know of the sds system the WOB used to kill off the Wolf's Dragoons is another big hole. The fact that the ecm used by most should counter the ability of the ships to work properly, and even using lasers to 'sidestep' that issue, meant there has to be someone close to the battlefield to respond quickly. And the fact wolfnet, the wolves intel gathering seemed to be into everything going on and not know this?
The issue with hovercraft when xl engines become a small problem Hearing the weight minimum was to make sure they were not overly weaponized.
With all the caches the star league left that the novels and such exploit makes me wonder how the weapons from the league era never made it before the helm memory core was done. The depot on Galtar III comes to mind. All caches that had units in them fit the 3025 units and not had a single unit that had upgraded tech?

Another issue is nothing came from the minnsota tribes romp thru combine space. Nothing was ever found from that?
And some of the history in the house books was changed.

Rebooting as was pointed out to me a while back can't really be done until all the holes are fixed in the rules.
Some of the new rules don't seem to have been thoroughly checked out for holes. I don't mind the clan invasion though it was shortly afterwards I stopped dealing with the new stuff. Getting a brand new edition of mechwarrior role playing book and on the first page says the next edition will be out soon and nullify alot of the rules in the book told me money grab.
There is more, but you asked about a reboot.
Another continuity thing that would have changed the outcome of battles was how they dealt with ams. The original could very well stop you from being hit with a volley of 6 missiles or below. And ammo ran out quickly for it.
csadn
03/30/18 03:23 AM

I do feel the continuity is unrealistic, and needs redoing; however, I register my dislike in the proper way -- I don't buy anything which isn't in line with "OG BT".

Now, the reasons why.

Bluntly: Everything from the moment this website is named for onward was intended for one, and only one purpose -- to tell the players "You play the game Our Way, or you don't play".

Hint: Take the Jihad -- substitute "Mercenaries" for "players who don't rigidly follow Canon"; "do the math, DW". I had a employee of the company tell me as much at a con once.

The writers realize they had written themselves into a corner with 4SW -- FS was going to annihilate CC altogether; when that happened, FWL wouldn't be far behind (as sclerotic as it is), and once those two are gone DC is doomed. Then the galaxy is united again[ * ], and what then happens to the game?

[*: There's another matter here, but I won't discuss it openly. Suffice it to say: That argument was the closest I've ever come to getting thrown out of a con.]

So, the writers started in with the Deus ex 'Mechina -- first the ComStar "hidden army"; then the Clans' "hidden armies"; then the WoB "hidden armies"; I haven't seen writing this repetitive since Eric Bischoff was running World Championship Wrestling, and the fans all know how *that* played out.

Then there's the plotholes mentioned earlier -- it's bad enough the writing is repetitive; it's worse when it's also incompetent.

So, for my part: Yes, I ignore anything 4SW and onward -- and esp. anything with the name which rhymes with "peas". But I don't try to shove it down other peoples' throats; you do your thing, I'll do mine.
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Karagin
03/30/18 12:54 PM

Battletech has been going pretty well with the time line it has, the cool thing about it is the time line is not something folks have to use, if you hate the Clans, then you can play the game without them, if you hate the Jihad story guess what you can skip and still enjoy the game.

The need of a reboot technical it has already been done with all the retcons and attempts to give hard dates to things and bring in a lot of the stuff from magazines like StarDate and Battletechnology and older BT products.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
AmaroqStarwind
04/01/18 01:58 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mind a further exploration of some of the more popular alternate timelines that fans have concocted for BattleTech. Things like the Kapiten Universe, Empires Aflame (which wasn't a fan product), That-One-Alt-History-Campaign-Where-Stefan-Amaris-Telefragged-a-JumpShip, etc.

I also really love things like Far Country, the Phantom 'Mech Incident, and Nova Cat's Mystics, but all of those things are exactly the sort of things that need to be permanently retconned to keep the fan base from being permanently divided...

AmaroqStarwind
04/01/18 02:00 AM

Oh, and because the Edit button is still broken... I am going to add in this post:
The very existence of MechAssault and MechWarrior Hero Clix really did not help matters...

csadn
04/01/18 04:05 AM

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind a further exploration of some of the more popular alternate timelines that fans have concocted for BattleTech.

I've been considering offering up on this site the alt we started using when it became apparent the future was "Advanced-Tech Uber Alles", but I can't find any info on submitting "opinion pieces"....
CF

Karagin
04/01/18 01:18 PM

Quote:
[

I've been considering offering up on this site the alt we started using when it became apparent the future was "Advanced-Tech Uber Alles", but I can't find any info on submitting "opinion pieces"....

Just start a new topic and post the stuff, folks will respond or they won't.
Karagin

wolf_lord_30
04/01/18 11:55 PM

Quote:
Oh, and because the Edit button is still broken... I am going to add in this post:
The very existence of MechAssault and MechWarrior Hero Clix really did not help matters...

MechAssault was a fun enough game that filled a void in my Xbox collection. While I enjoyed it, it is also not considered canon, which is probably a good thing.

I've always favored the 3025 era, it's what I grew up on. I also have a soft spot for the clans, as they were a major force when I started to get more into the game and of course, with Mechwarrior 2. After the early 3060's my attention drifts away. But hardly any campaign I run (with my group or a solo campaign in megamek) runs past a few years. So if I start it in 3017, I won't make it to the Clans. If I start at the beginning of the clan invasion, I probably won't even make it to the refusal war. And as far as most of my games are one offs, I pick and choose what I want to play. So I can ignore the jihad era altogether. I don't pretend is doesn't happen, I just choose not to use it. I've been tempted to try out the dark ages, just to do it, but I never really get around to it. The tech level and mech choices seem to be all over the place.

I personally don't see anything that points the need for a reboot. I will admit that I am curious of the new storyline. See if it continues the trend of odd, experimental, better-yet-worse-so-it-isn't-overpowered weaponry and tech, or if it tries to almost go back and to how it was.

Edited by wolf_lord_30 (04/02/18 12:12 AM)
Requiem
04/10/18 09:55 AM

When I began my fascination with BT I was a teenager – and I believe the books were written, as their designated target market, to this age bracket.

Now that I have aged so too has my appreciation for a good story – thus I look back and see all the potholes within the original history.

Thus if it is commercially viable I believe a revamp would and could be feasible to satisfy long term BT fans who grew up with BT, and are now adults, thus they have an adults mind to rationalize what is and what is not an acceptable story/historical framework.

(A Reboot is required to satisfy the new more mature target market).

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
04/10/18 01:17 PM

Quote:
When I began my fascination with BT I was a teenager – and I believe the books were written, as their designated target market, to this age bracket.

Now that I have aged so too has my appreciation for a good story – thus I look back and see all the potholes within the original history.

Thus if it is commercially viable I believe a revamp would and could be feasible to satisfy long term BT fans who grew up with BT, and are now adults, thus they have an adults mind to rationalize what is and what is not an acceptable story/historical framework.

(A Reboot is required to satisfy the new more mature target market).

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia

The issue with that idea is that you have a limited audience, as far as market sales go, yes we the old guard and older players would buy the stuff but if it's to mature or to adult, then a lot of the younger kids won't. And not to add to the issues that will bring up, but too many of the kids these days don't want things that require a lot of thought or effort, they want instant fun that can be recyled and fed right back to them, aka first person shooters or things like that.

So the market has to be there for them to make money, and given how little is actually put out by CGL, we get spurts where stuff is coming out pretty fast and then nothing for 3 months or more, where as other gaming companies have stuff coming out every three months if not more.

If the kids see a popular game aka in that folks are buying it and playing it, then they will do the same. Yet very very few game stores of the brick and mortar type, carry Battletech, those that do limit what they carry and even the online stores aren't pushing it and some don't even offer it.

Now a reboot, where do you start? Do you go back to the 3025 era and then move forward? Do you start with the Clans? Do you go back further and have the reboot start with the Star League?

What plot holes are in need of fixing?
Karagin

AmaroqStarwind
04/10/18 01:41 PM

I think one way the writers could have avoided the FedCom Civil War and onwards altogether would have been to just let the Periphery nations become more powerful.

Perhaps if they started teaming up, then you wouldn't have a galaxy at peace because the Federated Commonwealth would suddenly have a new enemy that was as powerful as they were, and while they were distracted the Capellan Confederation would try to regain its strength and attempt to join forces with the Draconis Combine...

Who'd just spit in their face and team up with the Free Worlds League instead, and the Periphery Nations growing in strength would eventually take over the Capellan Confederation by force, but key members of Capellan society would probably flee and start looking to the Clans for help, desperate for any allies. Of course, they would finally get help, but not the kind of help that they actually wanted (or expected).

Requiem
04/10/18 09:37 PM

Really ……

In the beginning – two individuals with two to six map sheets / one lace to one company of ‘mechs each to determine the world’s fate.

Now, three individuals – defence – offence and a game master (each in their own room).

Defence is provided a map of the world and he/she distributes their forces + the worlds militia accordingly – they must also work out with the game master any alterations to the world – hidden bases / airfields / ammo supply caches etc.

Offence – game master supplies them with intel. from their employer / house / Clan unit (accuracy ?)

Game starts with when your forces arrive in-system – aerospace response / warship response – fight your way through to the planet

Once on planet – Defence / offence move their forces on their identical maps – letting the game master know your objectives etc.– the game master then works out time(from point A to B) and the possibility of a battle and informs Defence / offence – battle ensures ? or strategic manoeuvring of other pieces on the board including aerospace assets / armour / infantry / naval (what we are attempting to create is the most realistic situation given the rules (especially damage and how it progresses through the game). Plus you must also factor in for defence / offence – spy Vs. Spy or even how the civilians may help the Defence team (Kurita – very high).

As to pot holes – historical in nature– have you really read some of the old game supplements i.e. McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (#1669) – MAC attacked the 42nd Avalon Hussars on Kathil - one of the few remaining Jumpship drive manufacture and repair yards in the Inner Sphere – land on the planet un-molested – strike at the 42nd and then proceed to the next target. Bare minimum – three to four vengeance class Dropships + aerospace fighters above the repair yard and within an exclusion zone. On planet – two to three RCTs + RMM – getting In and off this planet now and in the future …. Without someone on the inside to assist the attacking force …. would be a nightmare, due to its technological importance to House Davion. (That entire romp through Davion Space once you analyse it on a spread-sheet shows the CC / MAC spent a fortune for little to no real advantage)

As to when I would re-start the game 3001 onwards by using a team who could look at the big picture and re-write accordingly.

Though you could change initial parameters of the game by having more Houses – reduced military might to just one/two Houses over that of all the others – thus more allegiances etc – have a look at the war of the roses / the 100 year wars / city state wars in Italy and ancient Greece not only as a template but as a means of understanding the scope and complexity of deals that could be made – determine if you win / lose and determine the outcome of states.

Also stop having unknown / more advanced forces keep popping out of nowhere because you have reached an impasse in writing the future ….

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
csadn
04/10/18 09:44 PM

Not exactly a "plot hole", but: The sudden bounceback of Advanced Tech wasn't in keeping with the "everything is going to Hell on a rocketcycle" motif of the original game.

For my part: Our group rolled back to 3014, and had Anton Marik figure out "I don't have enough troops to take the throne, even if Janos spends his time sulking in the dark". This led to a marriage to Candace Liao (the only relatively-sane member of that family), and thence to a Marik-Liao attack on the Federated Suns (with the FWL-CC border suddenly calm, the Home Defense Act can't be invoked by Andurien; guess whose troops get to shore up the FWL-LC border while "loyal" troops are earning plunder in the invasion? >:) ). End result: The borders are pretty-much where they were when Kerensky left; having failed to settle anything with open violence, the "4th Succession War" is fought with poison and bombs... with the result that the Houses tear themselves apart, and the old stellar nations start reappearing (the Azami, for ex.; or the Hindu nation absorbed by the FS, or...). This gives players the opportunity to carve out niches of their own, as opposed to the current "you play our way, or you don't play" attitude of the gaming companies.
CF

Requiem
04/11/18 01:12 AM

Though the largest plot hole could be considered the number of new ‘Mech designs post 3050.

How could the introduction of new technology allow for the manufacture of so many new 'mechs and their manufacturing plants / subsidiary plants.

Would not the governments require (via legal means) all new designs to go through a similar process as that of the US militaries - Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System – The systematic method established by the Joint Chiefs of Staff for assessing gaps in military joint warfighting capabilities and recommending solutions to resolve these gaps etc.

Rather multiple new companies are established with multiple new designs – where did the resources come from to not only build these manufacturing plants but also produce the ‘Mechs in large quantities (from raw materials – foundries – to specialized parts).

Second only by the manufacturing of warships for the CC – where did they acquire space docks to manufacture these + the technology to build even a single warship + how could their economy afford the manufacture of these vessels? Especially since they cannot even repair/manufacture a jumpship.

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
ghostrider
04/11/18 04:43 AM

From what I have been told, the IS was lacking technicians that knew how to make the factories and run them.
All the new mechs coming out, and yet it was decades of work that made the hatchetman possible.
The flaw of the 4th succession war is a good point here. Some how, they made multiiple rcts from factories that the fluff says could not keep up with the losses suffered from the constant raids and border skirmishes.

I know it could be they pulled units from those in the field, but that it highly unlikely. The number of mechs produced on the books did not match the number of mechs lost if you actually look at all the fluff and novels. You can not lose 3 rcts, and rebuild them plus add 5 more when your factories combined can't make more then 500 or so mechs.

The CC seemed to have gotten help from comstar and the fwl to build the stuff needed for the warships and such. Another big hole in how things were done. Then the alliance Suntzu had with two of the periphery states didn't make any sense. It was only after the 4th war that they figured out they needed to band together, and picked the smallest, worse military wise house?
AmaroqStarwind
04/11/18 05:36 AM

@csadn I do suppose we could just scrap the lore entirely, and make up our own universe using BattleTech's basic gameplay mechanics as a framework. That would probably be a lot better, both in terms of the amount of effort required (making is easier than fixing), and in the amount of creative freedom.

Or on the other hand, we could also play a humorous Alternate Universe campaign where literally the only BattleMech design in existence is the UrbanMech, and countless variants thereof.

UrbanMech: Utter Madness (UM-UM)
Fan Sourcebook/Scenario Pack, coming sometime when Amaroq finally gets off his lazy **** and actually writes a campaign

Requiem
04/11/18 09:28 AM

Vengeance Class Dropship

Technical Readout 3057 – Dropships, Jumpships and Warships – just explains that each Successor State has access to these Dropships; no other book has actual naval figures for each successor state’s naval complements.

Thus as it is my alternate history I made the assumption that the DC would/could have access to enough Vengeance Class ships for this action (as well as enough nuclear ordnance).

As for the Nova Cats Defending their Planets – as per Invading Clans A Battletech Sourcebook (#1645) – the Nova Cats did not acquire planets until the fifth wave whereas Turtle Bay was in the first waive.

The question to be asked thus – given they have no stake (planets) in a nuclear war between the SJ and DC what would they do as they are only a reserve unit at this stage.

As for all the clans determining an order of exterminates against DC.

If they did so the DC would have to revert to first Succession War (Jihad) Tactics against all the Clans.

Hanse Davion would then also have to revert to the same tactics (in this situation he would have to preserve his alliance with the DC rather than letting the Clans mortally wound / destroy the DC – for once the DC is gone FC will be next (the problem of the 4th Succession War again).

The question would then be then – would the Warden Sympathizers especially Clan Wolf’s and Nova Cats Khans allow the invasion to devolve into this type of warfare were the planets the Clans conquered include nuclear wastelands. Especial since their aim is to restore the Star League and allow them to redeem the morally corrupt inhabitants of the Inner Sphere (with a nuclear war they will never redeem IS citizens – it would be war to death forever and ever).

An additional question to be asked – would (politically) or could (militarily) the clans remain in the IS if both the FC and DC states initiated an all-out nuclear war upon the Clans given their limited number of warships and jumpships as the primary targets.

Requiem,
Adelaide, Australia.
Karagin
04/11/18 11:51 AM

Y'all recall the Helm Memory core? It had a LOT of information that Grey passed on to his friends in high places as did Rico when he gave his copy to Teddy and company. So much of what we see later on is from that, add to this and you can find it in the novel Wolves on the Border, NAIS and other places were working on new tech aka double heat sinks among other things and we see ComStar try really hard to stop things. Also remember a lot of what we info wise in the game is from ComStar who are not know to be that trustworthy in the game's history.

Get a factory up and running isn't the hard part, it's getting the money and support to run it once it's rebuilt. One thing that is always waved away in Battletech is how money isn't important to the Houses or major players but we the minor players are like crap I need 20,000 Cbills for a single spare part... The technology hasn't been wiped out in the sense it's lost forever, just that certain things are missing.

Recall the Wolfhound was being built and was considered state of the art by the Inner Sphere and laughed at by the Clans. Mechs were being made, not in super huge numbers because there was no need, they built enough to replace the loses from the 4th War and then were jumping through hoops to get things forward to the Clan front come that war.

The really hole in things came after the 3060 time frame were we got all the silliness of the Dark Age crap dumped on us, mechs armed with chainsaws and acid guns and paint sprayers...then super weapons pop up etc...
Karagin

AmaroqStarwind
04/11/18 02:36 PM

Yeah, the Dark Age was a mistake... or rather, a collection of good ideas strung together by very big mistakes. A lot of things from the Dark Age have merit, at least in concept, but the execution as a whole was pretty bad.

csadn
04/14/18 02:36 AM

Quote:
@csadn I do suppose we could just scrap the lore entirely, and make up our own universe using BattleTech's basic gameplay mechanics as a framework. That would probably be a lot better, both in terms of the amount of effort required (making is easier than fixing), and in the amount of creative freedom.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that -- I study History, and I find the lack of knowledge on that score in the gaming industry *appalling*....

Quote:
Or on the other hand, we could also play a humorous Alternate Universe campaign where literally the only BattleMech design in existence is the UrbanMech, and countless variants thereof.

I played Outworlds Alliance -- dealing with "unloved" 'Mechs was a recurring issue for me.... >;)
CF

Requiem
05/02/18 02:03 AM

Table-top gaming needs to be expanded to include a roleplaying (which will become a dominant part of the overall game).

Thus, by making the battle phase all the more realistic the enjoyment of the game overall is increased.

As a role player and a table-top battle gamer I understand what we want is the freedom, the liberty, to create our own Inner Sphere … as an individual and as part of a group the ability to establish a unit (of our own design) – then run that unit within a history that appeals to us as a group.

Therefore establishing a realistic narrative is a pre-requisite to a good game – Post 4th Succession War my/our gamers require a more thought out history otherwise after the game it devolves into drunken discussions as why this or that could or could not have taken place and why …..

We need to adapt, overcome and survive …..

Requiem,
Adelaide, Australia
AmaroqStarwind
05/02/18 02:30 AM

I discussed some aspects of this on another forum...

Apparently, even changing the Hex size from 30 meters to 45 meters, that way ranges and speeds can be more realistic without affecting gameplay, is enough to seriously piss off at least half of the fanbase.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (05/02/18 02:32 AM)
Karagin
05/02/18 10:16 AM

Quote:

Apparently, even changing the Hex size from 30 meters to 45 meters, that way ranges and speeds can be more realistic without affecting gameplay, is enough to seriously piss off at least half of the fanbase.

Depends on many factors, does the game play change with the extra 15 meters? By that does the scale of a hill or river change?

The game has yet to give a standard size in height for the mechs, we have mechs that are almost the same height when you look at the miniatures but yet in the books/novels they make it clear that an Atlas is taller then a Warhammer, but it's hard to tell with the miniatures at times.
Karagin

Retry
05/02/18 11:39 AM

Quote:

'Mech weapon ranges, perhaps. 'Mech speeds, debatable. Foot infantry becomes completely silly with Infantry running at 4.5 m/s. If Tac Ops Infantry Sprinting is under effect, the entire platoon could cover 90 meters in 10 seconds, making everyone clones of Usain Bolt.
AmaroqStarwind
05/02/18 11:45 AM

Thank God that Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't exist in BattleTech.

ATN082268
05/02/18 12:35 PM

Quote:
My impression is that all franchises that allowed for alternate timelines, extra dimensions, multiverses or otherwise massive reboots suffered for it.

Possibly. The Star Trek franchise seemed to do pretty well with it.

Quote:
If the fanbase couldn't agree to follow one main timeline then they won't agree on any other timeline either. You can't improve the setting by splitting it, but you can split the fanbase and create ever smaller target audiences for your timeline-specific products - which amounts to shooting yourself in the foot. For no possible gain.
In my opinion, that's a bad bad idea.

I'm not sure why having alternate timelines in itself would hurt the overall numbers of the fanbase although it depends a bit on how it is done. I don't think people are generally advocating an equal distribution of resources to x timelines. Pick one main timeline and devote most of the resources to that timeline but have others, perhaps as what if scenarios. If a lot of people like some stuff out of the what if scenarios, then something similar might be incorporated into the main timeline. I see the what if type scenarios as kind of a test bed for ideas. I also think it could make the Battletech Universe more interesting.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
2 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 20473

Contact Admins Sarna.net