Enhanced Imaging: Rule Ambiguities

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
04/01/18 04:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
== Enhanced Imaging: Rule Ambiguities ==
I always assumed the following to be the case, but I have never been able to reach a definitive conclusion, nor find evidence in the sourcebooks to support or rebuke my assumption;
*1: Does Enhanced Imaging actually take up space and weight on a BattleMech?
*2: Can Pulse Lasers be aimed with Enhanced Imaging, unlike with a Targeting Computer?
*3: Can Enhanced Imaging be combined with other neural interface enhancements, such as the Star League Advanced Neurohelmet (providing bonuses to Gunnery checks, detailed further in Interstellar Operations), Buffered VDNI (also providing bonuses to Gunnery checks), and/or the Damage Interrupt Circuit (reducing the severity of the feedback suffered by the pilot, detailed further in Interstellar Operations)?
*4: Could Enhanced Imaging be used in a Dual Cockpit or in a Cockpit Command Console? If so, do both MechWarriors need to use it, or can the Gunner opt out? (Aside from Called Shots, Enhanced Imaging doesn't give any benefit to Gunnery Rolls).

If anybody could help me find the information I'm looking for, I'd appreciate it!
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
wolf_lord_30
04/01/18 05:51 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enhanced_Imaging

In CBT play a unit equipped with EI receives a -1 to Piloting checks; adds a -1 modifier per hex of forest, jungle or smoke terrain it fires through to a minimum of +1; ignores darkness modifiers; and allows an Aimed Shot attack with a +2 modifier, which changes to a -1 modifier if also equipped with a Targeting Computer or against an Immobile opponent. If internal damage is suffered the pilot must pass a 2D6 roll or suffer damage equivalent to an internal ammunition explosion.

1) No, it's built into the display or HUD of the mech and used in conjunction with the neural implants. But you get a critical and the pilot might not make it.
2) Yes. However, if used with the targeting computer and pulse lasers it would only get the benefit of the EI and not the TC.
3) EI replaces helmets. Feedback will be as these rules describe.
4)I would say both have to use it if you want full benefit. Just the pilot would only get the piloting modifiers, not the weapon modifiers. Just as the gunner would get the opposite.
TigerShark
04/04/18 01:49 PM

The "Aimed Shot" with a +2 modifier. Was this in addition to the +3 from Aimed Shots already? i.e.: +5? Or would the EI implant give a flat +2, making it superior to the Targeting Computer?

And what if those are used in conjunction?
wolf_lord_30
04/21/18 11:29 AM

Finally found the new and updated rules. They are on page 75 of Intestellar Ops.

’Mech units equipped with EI may make aimed shots as if equipped with a targeting computer (see p. 143, TW), but must apply an additional +2 to-hit modifier when making an aimed shot attack. If the EI-equipped unit possesses a functioning targeting computer as well, this additional +2 modifier is replaced by a –1 to-hit modifier instead.

The downsides of this are the internal structure hits cause a point of pilot damage, unless you roll a 7+, and a critical on the sensors of the mech will shut down EI. Also, from reading the 1st Somerset Strikers book:

The game master determines the specific mental side effects of the neural implant, but in any case the character becomes increasingly mentally unstable. He degenerates over the course of a year or so until he is extremely abusive and paranoid. Clan scientists have developed special drugs and therapy that can delay this degeneration, but most player characters will not have access to such treatment. Even with the treatment, most EI subjects become so disturbed within three years that they are unfit for duty.

So other than increased vulnerability, the only downside is from a roleplaying and campaign aspect.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3871

Contact Admins Sarna.net