Design Quirks, LAMs & QuadVees

Pages: 1
Retry
03/13/18 11:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Some units may have optional design quirks. Battlemechs, Vehicles, and Aerospace Fighters can all have these quirks, but some are exclusive to each other (Battlemechs are the only designs that can have battle fists (naturally), Fighters are the only designs that can have the Atmospheric Flyer quirk (naturally), and vehicles are the only designs that can have Power Reverse).

But LAMs and Quadvees do exist, which can be considered hybrids between Battlemechs and ASF/Vehicles, respectively. So can a Battlemech LAM get any Aerospace exclusive design quirks like Atmospheric Fighter? Can a Quadvee get access to the Power Reverse quirk?

Should they?
AmaroqStarwind
03/26/18 03:16 AM

I don't know if they can, but I definitely feel that they should.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Maurer
03/28/18 04:34 AM

In my own opinion, LAM's are more mech than aerospace fighter - they are basically a mech that can fly and not described the other way around -an aerospace fighter that can walk on the ground. I would say they can get Battemech traits, but not Aerofighter traits.

Quote:
Power Reverse
This Quirk allows a combat vehicle to use Flank MP when moving backwards, thanks to an improved gearbox and transmission. All other rules for moving in reverse remain the same.

I would say no to Quad Mechs getting Power Reverse, mechs don't have gearboxs and transmissions. Quadmechs have that natural quirk (lateral movement with no additional MP cost).

You can always create your own quirks, just remember to not make it too strong and to balance with a negative quirk.

"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier

Edited by Maurer (03/28/18 04:48 AM)
AmaroqStarwind
03/28/18 06:33 PM

Reliable Weapon:
A weapon with this quirk is engineered or constructed in such a manner that it is less prone to malfunction than normal.

Only applicable to weapons that can jam, or ammunition types that cause jams. Not available for Prototype weapons, and incompatible with Ammunition Feed Problem. If a weapon has multiple ammunition types that can cause a jam, then the quirk needs to be purchased for each ammunition type separately.

Retry
04/01/18 09:49 PM

Quote:
In my own opinion, LAM's are more mech than aerospace fighter - they are basically a mech that can fly and not described the other way around -an aerospace fighter that can walk on the ground. I would say they can get Battemech traits, but not Aerofighter traits.

Quote:
Power Reverse
This Quirk allows a combat vehicle to use Flank MP when moving backwards, thanks to an improved gearbox and transmission. All other rules for moving in reverse remain the same.

I would say no to Quad Mechs getting Power Reverse, mechs don't have gearboxs and transmissions. Quadmechs have that natural quirk (lateral movement with no additional MP cost).

You can always create your own quirks, just remember to not make it too strong and to balance with a negative quirk.

Sure, they're mechs first, but surely there can be significant aerodynamic differences between LAMs just as there are between normal ConvFighters and ASF? It doesn't have to be only positive traits too: Why not have a prototype LAM fluffed as a particularly poor conversion with the Atmospheric Instability quirk, or a particularly horrendous design that can't even function in an atmosphere (Unstreamlined).

Idk about Mechs and transmissions. Does a QuadVee in Vee mode still use its myomers to move while as a vehicle?

If it does use the myomers to turn its wheels/tracks instead of a transmission that's integrated with the conversion equipment (and thus it couldn't get Power Reverse like you theorize), how about Trailer Hitches? Could a QuadVee get the Trailer Hitch quirk, or is there some other reason that Quadvees couldn't or don't mount one?
AmaroqStarwind
04/02/18 03:22 AM

I wonder if LAMs and QuadVees can get chassis modifications available to aircraft and tracked vehicles respectively, such as Floatation Hulls and Amphibious modifications respectively.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3889

Contact Admins Sarna.net