BattleTech Chess Set?

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
09/11/17 11:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Maybe this belongs in the Off-Topic forum, but then it is definitely BTech related, so...

Anyway, I asked this question for my local BTech group, thought I'd ask it here as well.

If you were to design a set of Chess pieces for each Successor State, using original TRO:3025 designs, what would you choose to represent each piece (King, Queen, Rook, Bishop, Knight, Pawn) based on the 'Mechs typically used by that state?

For example, I would expect to see an Atlas as the Lyran King, but perhaps a Dragon would be the DC King. The Capellans would probably have an UrbanMech for the Pawns, etc.

For those unfamiliar with Chess (or uncertain what criteria to use for each piece)...
King: Command 'Mech
Queen: all-around Terror of the Battlefield
Rook: General Heavy Workhorse
Bishop: Fast and Versatile
Knight: Jump Capability
Pawn: Common and Expendable
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
09/12/17 12:57 AM

Battlemaster for davion king.
Vakyrie for knight.

Awesome for marik king
Stalker for queen, or maybe change with king
Orion for the rook.
Spider for knight or pawn.

Agree with Atlas for stiener king.
Banshee for queen.
Zeus for rook
Hatchetman for kinght
Commando for pawns

Cyclops for liao king
Victor for queen
Vindicator for knight

Kurita

Panther for knight
Jenner for pawn

come to mind now. A few could be for multiple ones, like the warhammer and marauder. Some better known ones don't really fit some of the perameters of the classes, but could still be used for positions. A few, I don't know who actually built them in 3025 like the grasshopper at this point.

Damn you are evil for making me think about this.
Karagin
09/12/17 06:54 AM

I too have given this some thought, and have seen folks try to make a variant of both games. Back when it was original mechs a friend set things up one time with an Atlas as King, a Battlemaster as Queen, Marauders as Knights, Awesomes as Rooks and Archers as Bishops. He had Stingers and Wasps as Pawns.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
AmaroqStarwind
04/04/18 05:24 PM

Fleas would probably be good Pawns (not sure for which house), and the Sha Yu might be a Capellan Knight.

If you're going to do the five great houses, then you should probably do some famous mercenary units as well, or even the Clans.

If anyone does publish a BattleTech chess set PDF, I'd also suggest checking the various different Chess variants on Wikipedia and include them in the document to help spice things up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chess_variants
This should give some ideas.

Hexagonal Chess would also probably work well using ordinary BattleTech maps, with differing terrain being an optional rule.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4291

Contact Admins Sarna.net