RE: Looking for Feedback House Rule for Ammo Dumping

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/11/18 01:13 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
----- So I know Ammo Dumping is already a thing, but I was considering a house rule that allows for a piece of Dumper Equipment that would be an 'Ammo Dumper'.

----- Rules-wise, it's effectively the piece of equipment used on AgroMechs and Industrial 'Mechs, taking up one critical space and weighing zero tons. However when mounted on a BattleMech it would dump all of the ammo in it's location upon being activated in the direction it's faced.

----- So for example, if I had a Dumper facing forward in the Left Side Torso that contained 20 AC/5 Rounds and 24 LRM-5 Rounds, activating the dumper would eject BOTH magazines into the hex directly in front of my 'Mech. If I had a Dumper facing the rear, it would eject BOTH magazines to the hex directly behind my 'Mech. If I had the 'Mech in question equipped with BOTH Forward AND Rear facing Dumpers I could eject the ammo into either of those hexes.

----- Limitations would include not being able to mount Left facing Dumpers in Right Side Torsos, Right Arms, and Right Legs; and vice versa. The system would be compatible with CASE and CASE II, however it would require a minimum of one ton of ammo per Dumper, so you could NOT mount multiple facing Dumpers with CASE and CASE II unless you had AT LEAST AS MANY tons of ammo as individual Dumpers.

----- I would appreciate feedback on whether or not you think this is a good idea, whether or not it's unbalanced as well as suggestions for how damage might be handled for this. I would imagine damage would need to be dealt at melee range only, and might backfire maybe. Or perhaps not even be volatile at all. The intent is simply to use the Dumper Equipment used for AgroMechs and Industrial 'Mechs for record keeping purposes and just announce an Ammo Dump. Perhaps with a marking for whether or not it's an 'Ammo' Dumper.

--- Thoughts?
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
ghostrider
04/11/18 04:32 AM

Ok, why have one facing forward?
That would be a weak spot in the armor. Or did I miss something?

Not sure what is wrong with the current rules for dumping ammo, that would need a specialized piece of equipment.

As for non combat mechs, I am going to assume they don't use an ammo dumper, but something similar to it, like a grain dumper or some such thing.

And the name dumper that has been used in other mechs, should be loader, not dumper.

But please explain why the rules version needs to be changed?
This set up should make it easier to get a nasty critical on the unit. Something like blowing up the ammo as it is being dumped, with any sort of hit to the location dumping.
And why multiples facing all sorts of directions?
AmaroqStarwind
04/11/18 05:20 AM

I'm curious about that too... But I'm also curious why BattleMechs can't mount Dumpers in the first place, or why Ammo automatically explodes when it is dumped.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/12/18 09:22 PM

Whoops. Forgot one critical point of information.

The Ammo would be dumped within the turn instead of at the beginning of the next round.

So the trade off is extra crits, alongside dumping all ammo in a location regardless, to do so without being shot in the back [or front].

So you can dump / move, or dump / attack, or most importantly just dump and not get shot in the bac.

PS Edit time is up on that one or I would've edited the OP.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/12/18 09:24 PM

On the second point, the multiple facings would allow you to NOT dump it on Infantry / Vehicles / Friendly 'Mechs. As well as NOT in your path since it doesn't use up your whole turn or take a full round.

As well as to possibly chuck the ammo at someone.
AmaroqStarwind
04/13/18 06:32 AM

So what you're saying is that if somebody blew up your Gauss Rifle and you managed to survive, you could chuck your entire bin of Gauss slugs at them in anger?
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3988

Contact Admins Sarna.net