Scenario Idea: CTF Magma Minefield

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
04/17/18 03:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The idea behind this scenario is simple; on a planet with low gravity, a dense atmosphere, and very frequent volcanic and tectonic activity, two rival groups keep trying to steal eachother's research and equipment.

There are plenty of "islands" you can hop on, and all mechs are Jump Capable. However, if you touch the ground then a minefield will detonate where you are standing, causing an eruption of magma.

In short, it is a game of Capture the Flag, combined with The Floor is Lava. The objective is to reach the other side of the map and steal three items of interest from the enemy outpost before they can steal yours.

Land Air Mechs are forbidden from using AirMech and Fighter modes, and other air units are not allowed. As stared before, all mechs are equipped with Jump Jets or Improved Jump Jets, and/or a Partial Wing if they are allowed to carry one.

Let me know what you guys think of the idea! Feel free to give feedback, add your own spin to it, etcetera. Once I find a way to make maps, I could share it for playtesting. Until then, you may have to design your own maps for the scenario.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
04/17/18 05:34 PM

First question.
Is every hex of the map mined? It sounds like it, so technically, there can be no real game as there would be no where to land after a few battles.
Second question. Are you using standard mechs, or is this all custom mechs in the scenario?
Third question. How big is the map area? Artillery units such as the Padilla and units equipped with tag would seem to rule the day here. With this, will firing on the 'islands' detonate the mines there?''
Would stationary artillery have any sited hexes to start with?

I would think vibromines would not work as the tectonic activity would set them off. Command mines would have to ask who controls them?

Erlrms might be another good unit to have as well. As this sounds like it is all open rough terrain, the longer ranges sounds like the best deal.
And would any hover crafts be destroyed going over a lava patch? It used to be fire destroyed vehicles, but I think that was changed.
I guess the year would be a good thing to know, so you don't use the 3100 equipment in a 3025 era fight.

There is a lot more information needed to even begin to deal with this scenario.
AmaroqStarwind
04/18/18 03:11 AM

Every hex except the islands has mines (and once the mines detonate, that hex becomes lava), only the islands are safe and they are basically small plateaus.

As for the mines, I am not entirely sure what kind of mines they should be. The year is also entirely up to the players and will determine what type of equipment is allowed.

I don't really have a response to the Artillery thing, though Extended LRMs and other Extreme Range weapons would definitely become commonplace.

Hover vehicles (and Hover Mechs!) could also be used to cross magma that became exposed, but they would need to be specifically constructed to withstand the heat.

AmaroqStarwind
04/18/18 03:14 AM

Oh, also forgot the map size... It would be at least a kilometer (maybe two or three kilometers) along each axis from one end to the other.

If somebody wished to print a custom map, I would suggest using smaller hexes (1 Inch Diameter, like a D&D Hex Map) and/or compressing the distances (so that one Hex represents 45 meters instead of 30). However, that second one might require ranges and speed to be recalculated, and nobody wants to do that.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3106

Contact Admins Sarna.net