Illegal Designs: What Could Possibly Go Wrong? :D

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
04/21/18 10:57 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
To keep the forum from getting too cluttered with individual posts about individual mechs in a particular series, I decided to group them all into a single thread.

In this series, we will share discuss ideas for various designs under the shared theme of something that sounds great on paper, but fails catastrophically in practice. Yes, this is the thread for Illegal Designs.

I have yet to actually design any such mechs myself, but I came up with a few concepts already. I have plans to actually try building all of these at some point!

- - - - - -

The Icaras series, because some people are just desperate to take to the skies.
(The misspelling is a reference, don't correct it!)
1. SuperHeavy Land Air 'Mech (oh Goddess above, what could possibly go wrong)
2. Land Air Industrial 'Mech
3. Land Air OmniMech
4. Tripod Land Air 'Mech
5. Land Air ProtoMech
6. Another attempt at the Quad LAM
7. Fully Amphibious Land Air 'Mech
8. HoverTank Land Air 'Mech (max weight: 50 tons)
9. Another attempt at the Clan LAM, now featuring an Interface Cockpit
10. QuadVee Land Air Mech
11. Primitive/RetroTech Land Air Mech
12. Land Air UrbanMech (in our defense, the design used to be legal!)

The Out of Body series, because some people just want to get metaphysical on your ****!
1. Industrial ProtoMech
2. Land Air ProtoMech, take two
3. OmniProtoMech.
4. "Nesting Doll" project: A SuperHeavy Mech featuring a modified version of the Interface Cockpit, which is mounted in the torso, and contains an entire ProtoMech rather than just a suit of Power Armor.
5. Tripod ProtoMech
6. QuadVee ProtoMech
7. A 55-ton ProtoMech featuring multiple pilots.
8. HoverTank ProtoMech
9. Glider ProtoMech that doesn't completely suck on the ground.
10. Quad and Tripod Glider ProtoMechs.

The Titan series, because sometimes bigger is better, and sometimes it isn't.
1. SuperHeavy QuadVee
2. SuperHeavy Land Air 'Mech, take 2. Resembles a small Aerodyne Dropship more than an Aerospace Fighter.
3. SuperHeavy HoverTank 'Mech (max weight: 100 tons)
4. Fission-powered SuperHeavy Primitive Mech.
5. Nesting Doll 2: SuperHeavy OmniMech piloted by an UltraHeavy ProtoMech piloted by a suit of Battle Armor.
6. Nesting Dolls 3 and 4. As above, but in Tripod and Quad configurations.
7. SuperHeavy Clan OmniMech.
8. "SuperHeavy" Mech (normal Mech with SuperHeavy construction rules). Comes in four flavors: 35 Ton, 55 Ton, 75 Ton and 95 Ton.
9. Repeating this process to create a "SuperHeavy" 55-ton Land Air Mech, as an attempt to get around the arbitrary Critical Slot rules. Packs an Interface Cockpit, a Clan XL Engine, a Clan Superheavy Endo Steel Chassis, and Clan Ferro Fibrous Armor.
10. A SuperHeavy (200 ton) TriVee version of the UrbanMech. Get mad!
11. A SuperHeavy Tripod mech packing a Mobile HPG and a K-6 Transmitter. "Uh... What?"
12. SuperHeavy Jump Jets, at long last!

"Honorable" Mentions:
1. Land Air QuadVee
2. QuadVee Hover Tank
3. TriVee
4. "Why on Terra would you put a(n) ________PPC_______ in the _____head_____"?
5. "Why on Terra would you put a(n) _artillery cannon_ in the _____foot____"?
6. "SuperHeavy" 50-ton Quad Land Air HoverMech with Interface Cockpit hiding a Quad Glider ProtoMech.
7. Any mech, of any size or shape, attempting to carry a 500-rated XXL Fusion Engine.
8. A mech packed with ProtoMech-sized missile launchers and Battle Armor-sized Energy Weapons.
9. An UltraLight Mech (10-15 tons) built using SuperHeavy construction rules.
10. A mech with an "overweight" internal structure in an attempt to increase both its structural capacity and maximum armor.
11. A mech using custom ELRMs with 0.05 kiloton nuclear warheads... Oh frakberries.
12. A star of iconic OmniMechs turned into Fission-powered "SuperHeavy" RetroTech abominations.
13. SuperHeavy mech with Armored Components.
14. Land Air Mech carrying Artillery.
15. Any mech attempting to construct their internal structure as a Sub-Compact KF Drive. (Oh yes, what could possibly go wrong.)
16. Any mech attempting to mount Sub-Capital Weaponry. Assume that it uses some kind of EVE Online style voodoo space magic to blatantly disregard the laws of physics and carry such an oversized weapon.

- - - - - - - - -

If anyone has any of their own suggestions to share, of wants to take a crack at some of the proposed designs, I'd love to hear them.

Remember, all submitted designs must violate at least one construction rule, and they must all fit the theme of "What could possibly go wrong". Fractional Accounting and Patchwork Armor are allowed.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (04/21/18 11:28 AM)
happyguy49
04/28/18 10:22 PM

Since you mention this tomfoolery, I'd like to also suggest Centaur Mechs! All the advantages of a Quad but it still has arms! (regular quads suck because they have 12 fewer crits than regular mechs.) I know Tripods kind-of do that already, but still. Centaurs!

And, why is it that an arm-having mech MUST have legs? Why can't it tool around on wheels or a hoverskirt or tracks? Think a giant PPC and missile totin' WALL-E!!!

Realistically, I could see myomer being rare and expensive in underdeveloped and poor locations like the periphery or other backwaters; those would be precisely the cultures that would make those sorts of "half-Mech's".

EDIT: i had to post this google image search result, this is what I mean about the above 'half-Mech's':

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VQZ4JkIp5ro/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by happyguy49 (04/28/18 10:29 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
04/29/18 12:25 AM

Centaur mechs, you say~?

Atlas LAM and Timber Wolf LAM would be awesome too, precisely because of how absurd they would be.

Half-mechs, though, do not actually strike me as illegal. Normally you would just put tracks in the legs and call it a day, and it is something that Industrial Mechs already do.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3650

Contact Admins Sarna.net