Weapon Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
Snub-Nose PPC RT 10
Snub-Nose PPC LT 10

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Small Shield RA
Mace LA

Based on the Woad Paint that made Celtic berserkers so fierce, the Woad Radier is an 80-ton Mech with a 400XL Fusion Engine, a Mace and Small Shield, plus two Snub-Nose PPCs and the heat to fire them while running. Made by lunatics, for lunatics, of lunatics... Woad Radier, kill people today.

Attachment (173 downloads)
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (02/12/18 04:25 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
04/20/18 04:55 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You have some Crit Space leftover to mount Triple Strength Myomers, an XL Gyro, and Ferro Fibrous Armor. The weight saved by using an XL Gyro would allow you to carry two PPC Capacitors (and slightly reduce the chances of an Engine Crit), which would therefor produce enough heat to activate the TSMs. And the Ferro Fibrous Armor... You should use it solely because there's no reason not to.

The Woad Raider might also work well with a Small Cockpit, because you need to provide every excuse you can for your pilots to become Crazed Violent Killer Lunatics, intent on killing anyone who is not a Crazed Violent Killer Lunatic. Oh, and it would also save enough weight to mount an extra ton of whatever.

One way to use all the leftover weight could be the installation of an extra Jump Jet, Claws, Talons and maybe even Spikes.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (04/20/18 05:19 AM)
Retry
04/20/18 09:47 AM

Standard gyros are easier (and cheaper) to make than XL gyros, same with standard armor to Ferro-fibrous, so those are reasons that one might prefer the more basic variants over the more exotic materials. TSM would certainly make this a scary melee mech. That'd be, what, 40 points of damage per mace hit?
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/21/18 06:43 PM

TL;DR - I thought of adding that stuff, but wanted SOME practicality for an 80-ton 21+ million C-Bill Melee Assault 'Mech. The idea being if you could afford the thing in the first place, you could probably afford to modify it too, so I left room in the 'production' model to accomodate for this. Also, because the 400XL could be refitted to a 300 Standard and the TSM wasn't to me as scary as being heat-neutral with all that mobility and hurting power.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it IS in fact for lunatics, at 21 Million C-Bills plus, the cost still needs to be kept realistically affordable. The 'Mech is aimed at customers who are either Solaris Gladiators or insane; in which case the price tag is reasonable. However, at 80-tons with a 5/8/4 movement profile and the capacity to smack the head off of an Atlas, this 'Mech is already formidable enough to consider buying. The Snub-Nose PPCs are there for practicality, and to shoot anything the Woad Raider cannot catch with enough force to make a difference. They also afford the pilot some license to stay out of melee if they want to, as despite the 'Mech being made for lunatics, it is made to also keep those same lunatics alive and victorious; if not neccessarily always in that order.

So while the XL Gyro and TSM would make it quite scary, along with extra Jump Jets and Talons / Claws / Spikes and other doohickeys, the goal was to make something that, while expensive and outlandish was at least moderately practical and a potentially justifiable investment. After all, crazy enough to buy one is crazy enough for me to sell you one.

However, with regard to the TSM, my thoughts were to make something heat neutral when shooting, running, jumping or whatever. The logic being that a pair of Snub-Nose PPCs, a freakin' Mace and Shield on an 80-tonner plus the speed AND Heat Capacity to get into range AND use it all with impunity was to me the scarier choice than TSM with too much heat. As well, because I would presume the insane are bad at managing heat and TSM isn't really that useful unless you can do that well [quite the opposite in fact].

With specific regards to the extra Jump Jet plus Talons / Claws; I didn't want to encourage overt use of the DFA by design; since I figured the insane would be prone to it anyway. Better for the longevity of them and the 'Mech that it focus their energies on going all smashy-smashy, shooty-shooty on whatever is in front of them. That and Talons are quite unfashionable in the Inner Sphere. No one wants to be looked at like Clanner scum.

The Woad Raider was also designed to be able to be refitted with a much more modestly priced and common 300 Standard Fusion Engine; meaning that the rarer 400XL was not so necessary and gave you an extra 4-tons to play with in this configuration. Presumably for your Spikes / Claws / Talons, Improved Jump Jets, TSM etc. I made it salvageable because I consider providing longevity for such a scary design to be a public service. I made it modifiable to appeal to the posh Mechwarrior with too much money and not enough sanity. I made it to kill things dead and keep on killing. I made it for lunatics, by lunatics, of lunatics...

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (04/21/18 06:49 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
04/21/18 07:32 PM

Well, there is TSM-X (see Interstellar Operations, page 103). Though barely better than Industrial TSM since it doesn't increase movement speed, it doesn't need any heat level to be active and thus makes it far easier to kill **** while also staying cool.

And even without Death from Above, jump jets are still important because they increase your all around mobility. I always include Jump Jets in my designs if I can afford it.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (04/21/18 07:32 PM)
Retry
04/21/18 10:33 PM

Ah, just noticed that there's only 4 jump jets. That irks me, since you're paying so much tonnage for both a 400XLE & jump jets might as well put in the spare ton for a 5th one and the extra jumping THM it gives you. Losing a DHS would get you there.

IMO, TSM would be far scarier than a battlemech that runs just a bit cooler, especially since its primary array (twin Snubbies) would leave much to be desired on a Medium Battlemech. This battlemech with an active TSM would go internal with the mace on any location of an Atlas except for the Center Torso and the legs. The Atlas's CT could theoretically be cored in the CT with only 2 strikes from a mace. Watching a Woad slay the biggest thing on the battlefield (outside of an Ares or something) with two swipes would be pretty horrifying to watch.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4270

Contact Admins Sarna.net