A Hybrid Fortress / Overlord Class Dropship

Pages: 1
Requiem
05/13/18 05:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
An issue regarding the Fortress Class Drop Ship has always bugged me regarding it’s potential obsolesce – the cost of running it due to its engine / hard to find parts et al.

Though the alliance between the LC and FS allowed Seimer Data Tron to construct 20 new dropships prior to the 4SW. (refer pg 50 – Dropships, Jumpships and Warshps 3057)

However, let us consider the Fortress - It is produced by Seimer Data Tron on Tharkad and the Overlord Class Dropship is produced on Skye (refer pg. 176 Objective raids)

The question I would like to ask is when they were thinking about refurbishing the old Fortress Class Dropship – did no one ever consider a merger between these two companies / two dropships.

What could have been accomplished if only…. A command and control dropship / combined arms raider with the running cost of an Overlord …. Keep the Long Tom III Cannon …. B1. 16 Mechs; B2. 12 Heavy Vehicles; B3. Cargo/Infantry (4 platoons); B4/5. 4 fighters (2 each). Keep the command and control layout of the old Fortress.

(note: this was a very rough calculation so if I am wrong please let me know)

I like to call this idea the Citadel Class Dropship.

Can you please let me know your thoughts regarding this hybrid? And its possible potential in combat?

Thanks, Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
05/13/18 12:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The fortress seems like a good ship. I don't understand why the company that made them has not tried to either find engines that work, or research the one that did.
Though it is noteworthy that none of the construction rules I have seen allows smaller engines to run a ship.

As a raider, the 16 mechs verses the normal 12 for the company does fit.
The vehicle bay should have lights in there with the heavies. And I would suggest putting in some shuttles instead of all fighters. I know that one hurts, as you need the fighters. With the timeline of the game, armored infantry should be used, though I believe you can use either or in the infantry bays. A notation of that would be nice. See how many at a glance. Same with the vehicles, though you do hope some mech haulers are needed so if you take some on the mission, you can get them to the ship.

The merging of companies is more likely being fought by both. In a realm where someone owns all of it, that would not be the case. It could well be Seimer Data Tron may be spending most of it revenue on keeping hostile take over prevention, and not able to do the research needed to make the engine. Sounds like a cop out, but it does happen.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2921

Contact Admins Sarna.net