Anti-Battle-Armour Infantry and Insurgents Optional Rule(s):

Pages: 1
Requiem
05/18/18 01:18 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Please let me know your thoughts re the following and any changes you might make to improve upon them:

Optional Rule(s):

Anti-Battle-Armour Infantry and Insurgents

Commando units (highly trained experts) or Insurgents (have undertaken basic training only) that have been trained in anti-Battle-Armour tactics. These infantry units are trained to hunt them down, keeping the Battle-Armour at a distance and use a high velocity sniper rifle, together with armour piercing and/or uranium depleted rounds to penetrate the Battle-armour’s head. This tactic is dangerous and requires highly skilled and dedicated individuals, but it can deplete the number of elementals on the battlefield quickly.

Each team is made up of one rifleman and one spotter.

Anti-Battle-Armour attacks are resolved in the Weapon Attack Phase of the turn.

Head Attacks:-

Anti-Battle-armour infantry platoons and Battle-armour-equipped infantry, that start a Weapon Attack Phase within twenty hexes of each other, within a clear line of sight and is to be considered camouflaged hence hidden at the start of the game. (Their hexes are to be written down prior to the start of the game).

As for number of teams available at any one time – this is determined by both defender and referee, though- factors to be considered – the unit they are attached to – the importance of the world being available, availability of sniper rifles etc.

The commando and Insurgent unit’s Base To-Hit Number is modified as per normal for movement and terrain.

A -4 modifier is added to the To-Hit Number and a +4 to the damage result roll (refer below) if the Battle-armour is prone or immobile for a commando team – an Insurgent team receives only a -2 modifier to their To-Hit Number and a +2 to the damage result roll (refer Below).

If this attack also uses the point blank Hidden Units (optional rule), the To-Hit Number is not modified for movement or terrain.

Table Infantry:-
Type……….Movement points ……………………Men……………………….Max. Damage
Commando ……..3…………………………………..2…….....………….See Combat below
Insurgent.………..2…………………………………..2……….………….See Combat below

Base To-Hit Numbers of Standard Anti-Battle-Armour Infantry Weapons - Commando
Weapon Range in Hexes
Type ….0-1....2....3-4....5-6....7-8....9-10....11-12....13-14....15-16....17-18....19-20
Sniper.…2......2…..3.….3……4…....4….……5……..6……….7………8…..……8

Base To-Hit Numbers of Standard Anti-Battle-Armour Infantry Weapons - Insurgent
Weapon Range in Hexes
Type ….0-1....2....3-4....5-6....7-8....9-10....11-12....13-14....15-16....17-18....19-20
Sniper.…2......2…..3.….3……4…....5….……6……..7……….8………8…..……9

Skill improvement is also to be considered with regards to a To-Hit Modifier –Regular – (0) – Veteran – (-2) – and Elite – (-3) for both Insurgent Units and Commando Units.
Also if they are a member of Loki/DEST/MIIO etc. they gain an additional (-1) To-Hit Modifier and a (+1) for all commando’s other rolls as noted below (though for each game you are only allowed one of these and they must be clearly identified from any other sniper team in play. Unless the entire raid etc. is part of clandestine operation run by Loki/DEST/MIIO).

Anti-Battle-armour infantry take damage in the normal manner, ie. they are fired on as normal units with appropriate modifiers, and take damage equal to the damage value of the weapon as per normal rules.

However these units are experts in hidden attacks, the defender (Battle-armour’s unit being shot at) for each sniper teams attack shot rolls a 1D6,
For a commando team ….
Depending on the experience of the team
Regular – a 4, 5, 6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.
Veteran – a 5, 6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.
Elite (and Loki/Dest/MIIO) – a 6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.

For an insurgent team ….
Depending on the experience of the team
Regular – a 3,4, 5, 6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.
Veteran – a 4, 5, 6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.
Elite – a 5,6 - will identify the location of the sniper team.

All other rolls mean they are unaware of where the shot came from.

Damage Result Roll: For each sniper team if the To-Hit roll is successful, the attacker (commando/ Insurgent ) rolls 2D6. The addition of the two ……

For Commandos a roll of …..
1-3 means a glancing blow only to the head;
4-6 means slight damage (Battle-armour pilot is unconscious and unable to move for 1 turn);
7-8 means serious damage is incurred (Battle-armour pilot is unconscious and unable to move for 1D6/2 turns and rounded up),
9-12 means the target has been killed.

For Insurgents a roll of ….
1-5 means a glancing blow only to the head;
6-8 means slight damage (Battle-armour pilot is unconscious and unable to move for 1 turn);
9-10 means serious damage is incurred (Battle-armour pilot is unconscious and unable to move for 1D6/2 turns and rounded up),
11-12 means the target has been killed.

Though any un-armoured target with a successful to-hit roll is an automatic kill.

Insurgents however can be converted into Commandos if they undergo the necessary training to do so. This requires time and money invested in them also any skill improvement modifier they have gained as an insurgent team will be reduced one step to the minimum of a zero modifier. This must be conducted with the agreement of the referee if they are involved in a campaign as to the duration required to complete this (Though I would put it at a 4-5 months training minimum).

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia.
Should this infantry type be included in the game?
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (05/18/18 12:02 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Requiem
05/18/18 02:31 AM

Sorry the edit did not work to add this in ...

Two slight Hits = A Serious Hit;
Three Slight or One Slight + one Serious Hit = a Kill;
Two Serious Hits = a Kill.

Should have been added to tis post.

Or should I go back to 11 points per elemental and assume a point base value system
slight = 3 points
Serious = 5 points
kill - head removed.

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.

Edited by Requiem (05/18/18 07:38 AM)
ghostrider
05/18/18 03:11 AM

First, the size of the hexes. Are you talking normal maps or mechwarrior maps?

Do the commandos have access to sneak suits?
Also the DEST units have armored suits they use. So how does that get handled?

As this seems to be an aimed shot, are those penalties figured in the to hit numbers?
And careful aim. Is this allowed for this scenario?
Requiem
05/18/18 03:32 AM

First, Normal Maps, I have not yet attempted these rules on other Maps as I am still tinkering with it.

Second, No the commandos don't have access to sneak suits - though if they do I would give them a bonus as to not being seen whilst in the movement phase from one hex to the next / reduction in MP distance could also be considered.

Armoured suits - either, yes as a specially modified rig is attached to the suit to allow the operator to use the sniper rifle as per normal - all other rules concerning armoured suits should remain the same.
Or No, Have a look at pg. 15 Operation Flashpoint - I was initially thinking of this when I envisioned the rifle per say - thus making it too bulky for a armoured suit.

Yet to make a determination on this.

All penalties are figured in the To-Hit numbers (except when it comes to assigning damage).

Careful aim is also allowed.

Does this help? - Oh, also consider having a very fast hovercraft nearby to extract the unit once discovered or when safe to do so or even firing the shot from the roof of the vehicle should be considered as it is a non-fixed weapon (at the loss of your camo. benefit) .

I am looking for a beta test - as what I believe is working may or may not be and I may be overlooking something.

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia

Edited by Requiem (05/18/18 04:07 AM)
Requiem
05/18/18 07:35 AM

Additional rules that I will need to consider / created for future game play (for normal Hex Sheets) when using the Commando / Insurgent:-

I am currently Looking at the Infantry Rules within The Battletech Compendium #1640 Page 44 onwards and considering what else these two Infantry roles will have in common / and those they do not.

In addition to using a sniper rifle the two would also have experience in using explosives

For game purposes I have decided the following – Commandoes an insurgents would include IEDs, Starting Fires and Demolition

Should I ?
IEDs – use the same rules as that of Command-Detonated Hexes and Vibra-bombs.
Fire – use the same rules as starting a fire.
Demolition – where commandoes have 7 points of damage per round, Insurgents will only have 5 per round.

These is also a need to sneak around in plain sight / during night raids whist attacking a garrison base – same rules for either Ground Vehicles or VTOLS / using a sneak suit, battle suit etc.

Additional Commando Skills

The ability to utilize Indirect Artillery Support Fire.

The modern drive by:- rush-in-rush-out leaving explosives, that once they detonate will cause an immediate critical damage to the ‘Mech, Vehicle, or fighter .

The Sabotage Raid:-
Designate an APC or similar vehicle containing Commandoes or are the coming in by foot in sneak suits:- if they are attacking a Battlemech they are allowed to use the same rules as swarming – using grappling and climbing it or SRM Launchers – they rush up to the ‘Mech and use High explosive SRMs or other weapon (same Damage as per weapon used) - using the same Swarm Hit Locations (2D6) – rolling for the same Critical Hits effects table.
This would also extend to aerospace fighters on the tarmac going for the most vulnerable – cockpits, wheel-struts, engine- exhaust (thus the engine for game play) etc.

Garrison Building assault:- (normal Hex Sheet)
If the Vehicle/ squad can move next to the garrison building and roll a 1D6 to determine their success in gaining access - were a role of 1 is an utter mitigated disaster for the commandoes and 6 is their ultimate success and those numbers in between represent the spectrum between success and failure.
Then they roll a second 1D6 to determine their success whilst within the building – the outcome to be determined via a new 1D6 role table – were a role of 1 is an utter mitigated disaster for the commandoes and 6 is their ultimate success and those numbers in between represent the spectrum between success and failure.
Also to be considered is the buildings occupants and their numbers and their availability to weapons when comparing it to that of the Commando attacking force.

Also both Commandoes and Insurgents are experts in creating hidden traps – in any environment residential, industrial or rural a table will be needed to be established for when either a ‘Mech or a Battle-armour 1st notices the trap and 2nd the effect of the trap. (use the same 1D6 success table as discussed before?)

Have I missed anything that could also be added for game purposes?

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
ghostrider
05/18/18 12:50 PM

You missed one that would be a major one.
Tech Raid. Stealing a prototype or even just the files from a research facility.
Hostage rescue/taking.
Hell, a resource raid might be another one. Not sure if you should have a separate entry for stealing something like a mech.

I am going to assume you haven't gotten to some special(normal) equipment yet, like low light helmets, flashlights, sensors, hacking computer, override kits, and the like.

What side arm/back up weapon would they use?
Like what type of pistol would be most common for the units?
I would think the most normal one made on the world, but those are probably not reliable enough to be considered.
One more stupid question. Is the insurgent a native to the world, or are they sent there as a guerilla operation? or both?
Requiem
05/19/18 10:21 AM

The Insurgent is a native to the world with either no real training or is a member of the Home Guard, Reservist Unit, National Guard etc. Thus consider him/her a part time warrior at best ...

For side arms - clan era - I would want something that could stop a rhino on steroids .... as for a different era Commando (House Unit) whatever you want ..... Insurgent whatever you can get (either through the Home Guard, Black Market or you local gun shop), reliability does not come into it - it comes down to what is available when you attempt to get it - and how much you are willing to pay to get it....

Please have a look at my second attempt re Commandoes

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4705

Contact Admins Sarna.net