3 Gauss Rifle Ammo (48)- RT - 3 - 3
3 Armored SRM Streak -4 - RT - 3 - 9.5
Armored ER Medium Laser - RT(R) - 1 - 1.5
Armored Light Gauss Rifle - RA - 5 - 14.5
2 SRM Streak ammo (50) - RL - 2 - 2

4 Armored Light Gauss Rifles (58 tons)
96 rounds of LGR ammo (6 tons)
6 Armored SRM Streak 4 packs (21 tons)
100 rounds of SRM Streak 4 pack ammo (4 tons)
1 Armored Extended Range Large Laser (6 tons)
3 Armored Extended Range Medium Lasers (rear) (4.5 tons)
Armored Muiti-Track Targeting System (.5 ton)

These ultra heavy mechs are only meant for stagnant defense. It puts its back to the corner of a hardened building and blasts away at the enemy. If the enemy has artillery all the mech has to do is to step forward and back every once in a wile to make it that much harder to be hit but since very few raids come with artillery pieces its a small rick

Because of its Heavy Armor its not able to run at all. It can only walk. For the players that like Crit weapons you would have to roll a 10 or 11 to get one crit or a 12 to get two crits. A limb blown off is not possible until all armor is gone from that location. And if you can get past all of the armor a lot of the components are protected by their own armor.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
05/19/18 10:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The 'Mech doesn't follow the construction rules for Superheavy Battlemechs introduced in Interstellar Operations pg.159.

1.Internal Structure:Reinforced isn't available to Superheavy Mechs. Only Endo-Steel, Endo-Composite, Standard and Industrial structures are, and they weigh 2x the % of a regular Battlemech (so a superheavy with regular structure weighs 20% instead of 10% of its mass, or 40 tons on a 200 ton superheavy).

2.Superheavy 'Mechs use Superheavy Gyros, which are 2x the weight of a standard gyro. So it should be 4 tons on this design instead of 2 tons.

3.Superheavy 'Mechs use Superheavy Cockpits (for Bipeds/Quads) or Superheavy Tripod Cockpits. This is a biped superheavy and should use the 4 ton superheavy cockpit.

4.The IS points are off for a 200 ton superheavy. The table's on I-Ops but for shorthand the values are

CT 60
LT/RT 42
ARM 33
LEG 42
HD 4 (max head armor = 12)

5.Armored Components: Unfortunately, armoring components on Superheavy Battlemechs is explicitly forbidden.

6.Crit Space: Superheavy Battlemech crit spaces are handled differently than standard Battlemechs. The crit slots taken up by a given weapon system is halved, rounded up. So, an ER Large Laser would take up Roundup(2/2)=1 crit on a Superheavy Battlemech, and a Light Gauss Rifle takes up Roundup(5/2)=3 crits. This also takes effect on the engine and gyro, which effectively takes up only 3 slots for standard engines and 2 slots for the superheavy gyro. Ammunition can be "doubled up" in one crit slot, as can Standard Heat Sinks. Heavy Gauss Rifles can also be arm-mounted on a Superheavy, although that isn't particularly significant.

It does cause the nifty side effect that a Superheavy Battlemech can actually field the Long Tom.
AmaroqStarwind
05/20/18 12:35 AM

Actually, Compact Heat Sinks can be Quadrupled Up into a single slot. However, destruction of a slot with two or more items in it will destroy all of the items in that slot.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Retry
05/20/18 12:58 AM

Quote:
Actually, Compact Heat Sinks can be Quadrupled Up into a single slot. However, destruction of a slot with two or more items in it will destroy all of the items in that slot.

Well yes, and they normally can be doubled up into a single slot on a normal 'Mech, so you're doubling up the double up.
Karagin
05/20/18 08:19 PM

Wow...Hey ATN...I think your stuff has something it can actually go fight...

Interesting idea though Donkey...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.

Edited by Karagin (05/20/18 08:28 PM)
ATN082268
05/21/18 08:22 AM

Quote:
Wow...Hey ATN...I think your stuff has something it can actually go fight...

Interesting idea though Donkey...

My over 100 ton designs would be just fine at fighting other units as well so long as it wasn't part of a contrived scenario, for example, where there is a single over 100 ton design pitted against numerous designs custom made to fight it on a custom battlefield that works well for the numerous custom units but not for the single over 100 ton design or some similar malarkey
Retry
05/21/18 12:32 PM

Well it isn't legal in its current form so it's probably not going to see much fighting without big rework anyways. Big superheavies in general tend to struggle on large battlefields where artillery is available, no need to contrive a specific scenario with specific customs or specific terrains.

With that being said I'm in love with Long Toms on Superheavy 'Mechs.
ATN082268
05/21/18 02:13 PM

Quote:
Well it isn't legal in its current form so it's probably not going to see much fighting without big rework anyways. Big superheavies in general tend to struggle on large battlefields where artillery is available, no need to contrive a specific scenario with specific customs or specific terrains.

I like Artillery myself too I've never played in a scenario which used such a large battlefield that would give a design an advantage of using Long Toms over Arrow IVs. In my experience, artillery isn't very accurate and it is hard to predict where a unit will be in 2, 3 or more rounds. On board artillery units tend not to be very good in close quarters once the enemy closes. I've found artillery can be useful, when used in significant numbers, but even then rarely was it the deciding factor in any of my games. I guess you could also have one side comprised solely of off board (and unseen) artillery batteries, shelling your hapless enemy into oblivion while they are unable to retaliate but where is the fun in that
Retry
05/22/18 02:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I like Artillery myself too I've never played in a scenario which used such a large battlefield that would give a design an advantage of using Long Toms over Arrow IVs. In my experience, artillery isn't very accurate and it is hard to predict where a unit will be in 2, 3 or more rounds. On board artillery units tend not to be very good in close quarters once the enemy closes. I've found artillery can be useful, when used in significant numbers, but even then rarely was it the deciding factor in any of my games. I guess you could also have one side comprised solely of off board (and unseen) artillery batteries, shelling your hapless enemy into oblivion while they are unable to retaliate but where is the fun in that

What I mean is, you're paying a premium for Superheavies in terms of space and C-Bills, so you really should do something that regular Battlemech's can't do or don't do as well. The most obvious being Long Tom Artillery (Arrow IVs can be stuffed onto regular Battlemechs).

While they're not common, I'd imagine a Long Tom piece would be more effective against Dropships on the ground, mobile structures, and sea-faring naval vessels like the Luftenberg due to sheer range. Or just when you want to destroy stuff: The LT's HE round deals more damage than the Arrow IV and has a larger radius. In a strategic setting, the Long Tom and its ammunition has a lower tech rating (easier to make) and better availability ratings (easier to find), and the Arrow IV even went extinct during the Succession Wars for a while.

Otherwise a superheavy rises 3 levels tall and it's harder to take cover with them, making them easy to hit, so a front-line superheavy is probably not a good idea. Artillery or command or AA lance coordinators, sure.
Karagin
05/22/18 03:50 PM

How is it illegal Retry?
Karagin

Retry
05/22/18 03:58 PM

Quote:
How is it illegal Retry?

See my earlier six-point analysis, complete with a rulebook citation...
Karagin
05/22/18 04:12 PM

ATN, your stuff doesn't need anything special to be taken down by other units, no special scenarios need to be set up, a normal game would show you that, aka ONE against an actual person on a table top via the normal rules of the game.

Now Donkey's mech at least tried to cover the bases, it has firepower, nothing crazy, it has limited amount of heat sinks so it's not going to be an alpha beast all the time, and given that under the rules it has other issues, since it loses the reinforced internals and as Retry pointed out it's has other issues, BUT the idea is this mech is built to stand and fight, however it's not going to last that long and will be picked apart by ranged weapons and limited movement which means folks will out flank it all the time. I can see a lance of heavies bringing this or any super heavy mech down in about 5 or 6 turns of fighting.

I do like the idea Donkey, but it needs more work.
Karagin

ghostrider
05/22/18 05:36 PM

Why the obsession with the long tom? Use any artillery piece in it. The sniper in the 2750 said it had a second computer that allowed direct fire with it. Don't see why you can't use the developers loop holes against them.

The biggest thing that seems to be missing is the energy weapon that is used as a back up. I think a regular small laser would work.

I wonder if light gauss rifles would be better. More range, though not as much punch.
Depending on the time frame, ERLRMs or streak lrms might be helpful as well. LAMS is another handy thing.. yeah the lack of sinks does get in the way, but isn't that the fun of the game? Roll to avoid head shut down or ammo explosion?
AmaroqStarwind
05/22/18 06:41 PM

Why try to fit an Artillery Piece when you can be just as effective with a slightly smaller Artillery Cannon?

Retry
05/22/18 07:52 PM

Quote:
Why try to fit an Artillery Piece when you can be just as effective with a slightly smaller Artillery Cannon?

The full-fledge Artillery Piece can fire smoke, FASCAM, flechettes, cluster, and even illumination rounds for night-fighting, while the snub piece can't. The full pieces can often fire several dozen mapsheets away. They're introduced earlier, more available in every era, and (suprisingly) cheaper for both cannon and ammo.

OTOH it's a bit difficult to put any full-fledge artillery piece on a helicopter. The Thumper Cannon at only 10 tons is very doable though.

Quote:
Why the obsession with the long tom?

I need my fix of earth-shattering kabooms
AmaroqStarwind
05/22/18 09:05 PM

In before somebody does an Aimed Shot with the Sniper Artillery Piece

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/24/18 07:41 PM

I don't think that I can rework the design and have the same affect since most of what I wanted is illegal under the rules..
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
AmaroqStarwind
05/24/18 11:31 PM

I think SuperHeavies are illegal anyway, to be honest... Don't worry too much about it. Just worry a little bit.

In all fairness, most SuperHeavies aren't even practical. If somebody were to design one that was actually viable, I would be impressed.

Retry
05/25/18 10:18 AM

Quote:
I think SuperHeavies are illegal anyway, to be honest...
In all fairness, most SuperHeavies aren't even practical. If somebody were to design one that was actually viable, I would be impressed.

Superheavies are legal.

As far as practical Superheavies go, you should check out my Abbot ABT-1A design.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/25/18 06:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Superheavies are legal.

As far as practical Superheavies go, you should check out my Abbot ABT-1A design.

Thank you for proving his point.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
05/25/18 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Superheavies are legal.

Thank you for proving his point.

...What point of his did I prove?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7117

Contact Admins Sarna.net