ER Medium Laser CT 5
ER Medium Laser LT 5
ER Medium Laser RT 5
LRM 10 RA 4
LRM 10 LA 4

Ammo Loc Shots
-------------------------
LRM 10 Ammo RT 12

Not much to say beyond it being a fully Clan-tech Firefly.

Firefly IIC 2
Base Tech Level: Experimental (Clan)
Level Era
-------------------
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3089+
Tech Rating: F/X-X-D-D

Weight: 30 tons
BV: 1,294
Cost: 3,129,100 C-bills

Movement: 5/8/4
Engine: 150
Double Heat Sinks: 11 [22]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 51 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 104/105
Internal Armor
----------------------------------------
Head 3 9
Center Torso 10 15
Center Torso (rear) 4
Right Torso 7 11
Right Torso (rear) 3
Left Torso 7 11
Left Torso (rear) 3
Right Arm 5 10
Left Arm 5 10
Right Leg 7 14
Left Leg 7 14

Weapons Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
Improved Heavy Medium Laser RT 7
Improved Heavy Medium Laser CT 7
Improved Heavy Medium Laser LT 7
LRM 15 RA 5

Ammo Loc Shots
-------------------------
LRM 15 Ammo RT 8
LRM 15 Ammo RT 8

Okay, so sue me, I just wanted to swap those three Medium Lasers of the original for improved Heavy ones and see what would happen. LRM15 for long-range support, too.
wolf_lord_30
05/30/18 01:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've always had a soft spot for the Firefly. Good clan upgrades, and simple. I guess these were the ones that Wolf's Dragoons had to leave behind.
AmaroqStarwind
05/30/18 03:55 PM

I love this.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
05/30/18 09:24 PM

Honestly, I would think a few smaller lrms would be the way to go as this is a scout mech. Should be dealing with things like light tanks and such, but I guess you want a better punch with the newer tech.

Maybe a tc with the lasers might work.
Karagin
05/31/18 12:30 AM

I think I posted my take on this mech with the IIC treatment and the C treatment....do a search to see them for comparison.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CarcerKango
05/31/18 07:31 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I would think a few smaller lrms would be the way to go as this is a scout mech. Should be dealing with things like light tanks and such, but I guess you want a better punch with the newer tech.

Maybe a tc with the lasers might work.

Yeah, a t-comp might've been helpful.

I was envisioning this as being used as more of a second-line/garrison mech--in a world that has Clan tech, 5/8/5 or 5/8/4 isn't exactly a stellar profile for recon...I mean, maybe early on in Clan history, but other than that I can't see it holding up well in a scout role in most environments, especially with open terrain. Especially not once the Dasher is invented...:P
CarcerKango
05/31/18 07:32 AM

Quote:
I guess these were the ones that Wolf's Dragoons had to leave behind.

That's pretty much what my initial thought was as far as lore went.
CarcerKango
05/31/18 07:34 AM

Quote:
I think I posted my take on this mech with the IIC treatment and the C treatment....do a search to see them for comparison.

Interesting! I see we went in opposite directions as to what 'defines' a Firefly--in your case you retained the lighter LRM racks and ECM capabilities, whereas I built mine around the triple lasers and upgraded the LRMs at the cost of support capabilities.
AmaroqStarwind
05/31/18 02:46 PM

You know you can edit your posts, right? :P

Also, if you want to see a bad Clan scout mech then look no further.

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/02/18 10:09 AM

By dropping the jump jets and changing out the standard engine for a extra light engine you can jump the speed up to 9/14. A 5/8 mech is not any faster than most other clan designs. A light mech needs the advantage of speed so it can run away from heavier mechs that out gun it.

A good modern upgrade would be to swap out the standard clan LRM-10s for streak LRM-5s model and add another ton of missile ammo.

A 9/14 speed light mech with 2 Streak LRM-5s could prove to be quite the annoyance to any lance. The mech can stay at long or if extreme range is used and just try to pepper heavier mechs until it runs out of missile loads. If this was the desired tactic dumping the lasers for more missile loads would be a smart move.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 10:21 AM

I'm sorry, did you just say a Scout 'Mech, a Firefly specifically, without Jump Jets?

06/02/18 10:41 AM

There are plenty of scout mechs that have no jump jets. I actually think jump jets are a hindrance than an asset to a scout mech. By ditching the jump jets you have two advantages. One you can install a bigger engine so the mech can actually cover more ground in its roll of a scout. The second is a jumping mech will attract everyone and their brothers attention. The idea of a scout is to find out what the enemy is doing and not advertising that you have forces in the area.

Of course I think that using a mech at all as a scout is dumb. Its kinda hard to hide a 10 meter high stopping mech from being seen or heard. Using PBI in a ultra light ground vehicle is fare more stealthy not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 11:16 AM

ProtoMechs would make good scouts... if they weren't so slow.

HoverTank Mechs would make good scouts... If they actually existed.

Land Air Mechs would make good scouts... If anyone knew how to actually pilot them.

ghostrider
06/02/18 02:31 PM

Hover scout tanks do exist. The pegasus is one. The Zephyr is another. The issue is noise of the fan blades. Most forget about that when talking about hovers. Granted, they are good for alot of things, just not the quiet ones.

As I think scout mechs should have jets, to help them get away, the issue comes when everyone had a mech with jets seem to think flying is the only method of travel with them. The idea of a fuel supply for them is something I like. Make them think before having the mech in the air more then on the ground.
Do I risk running out of fuel now, and avoid the jump here, or risk it all?
Now the issue with the term scout mech. It makes it sound like all light mechs can be used as such. Even though the militaries do, they are losing out on using them properly. But then the omni argument is good for that.
Not all light mech are meant for scouting. Technically, the panther was a support style mech with the ppc. I would say the jenner, and locust were meant for it, but honestly they need electronics they normally don't have to do the job correctly.
The spider would be a great raider. Get in, steal things, get out.
But no. All light mechs need to be scouts.

And though they are slow, elementals would make great scouts as well. Maybe remove the srm packs to help avoid detection would be an idea. Something most would hate. Though I want to say scout battle armor is already made.

The above mechs look like they might be great ambush mechs or light assault deployments. Maybe deal with light armor. Damn shame they destroyed the damage lasers do to infantry. This would be a good thing to take out base security.

Edited by ghostrider (06/02/18 02:33 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 03:03 PM

An Omni Firefly, of course! Why didn't I think of that?

06/02/18 11:25 PM

The best scouts would be Motorized Infantry on light dirt motorcycles. Dirt bikes can go just about anywhere and light enough to be lifted up ravines.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
06/03/18 12:22 AM

Quote:
The best scouts would be Motorized Infantry on light dirt motorcycles. Dirt bikes can go just about anywhere and light enough to be lifted up ravines.

They're the cheapest method, and good for low-observability. If you want to go somewhere fast or not get blown to bits by the first surprise mortar you take to the face you may want something heavier. Conventional infantry also can't carry advanced sensors like the Probes.
ghostrider
06/03/18 08:53 PM

Unless they have a different engine in them, the sounds of dirt bikes is hard to cover.
This is especially true if the area you deploy them in doesn't have civilians doing so.

There is a way to get the infantry with probes and such. Remote sensors comes to mind. The may not be as good as say a radar instillation, but they are supposed to be much better then most.
Which come to mind of upgrading equipment. A portable advanced probe. They probably got them, but if not, this would be good. I know they got ecm.

But this is about mechs, specifically the firefly. The units presented seem to be wanting a light assault unit with the three heavy lasers.
Interesting that some units that were mediums were scout mechs as well, with the Phoenix Hawk being one of them. That might be the next step in scouting progression. The new ostscout is horrible, but they did something that should have been done if you wanted a real scout mech. Make sure you don't get found. Though maybe a lower hanging quad might have been better. Hunker down and move thru woods with less of your head sticking out as a target.
06/04/18 07:41 PM

Quote:
Unless they have a different engine in them, the sounds of dirt bikes is hard to cover.
This is especially true if the area you deploy them in doesn't have civilians doing so.

There a lot of bikes today that have very quite engines. Bikers like noisy engines so others know there is a bike in the area so they don't get hit by someone not paying attention for bikes. By the 31st century car engines could be very quite.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6348

Contact Admins Sarna.net