MechWarrior: The Musical. [Hypothetical]

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 11:50 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I had an idea the other day for a BattleTech miniseries that could be put up on Netflix, if it ever gets made.

Now, I say miniseries, because a movie would be way too short, and an entire show that was like this would overstay its welcome and be difficult to keep going.

Specifically, because this hypothetical miniseries would be a musical.

Based on the responses I got on Space Battles, both Clanners and Kuritans would probably get very invested in their musical roles. I'm also thinking that a suitable protagonist for this story might be a down on their luck mercenary who gets taken bondsman by one of the slightly nicer Clans, or at least by a particular nice Clanner.
Quote:
"Why is everyone singing?"
"Is something wrong? You can sing too, quiaff?"
"Uh, no. Not really..."
*a sigh can be heard over the radio, along with a faint mumbling of the word 'stravag'*
"...Then I guess I will have to teach you, freeborn. Once we are on the dropship, meet me in my quarters."

Author's note: The bondholder only wants her bondsman to meet in her quarters for singing lessons, not for other activities. A private, soundproofed room is the only real place on a Clan dropship where you can get away with singing.

Because this would be a musical, some music choices might be uncharacteristically cheerful for BattleTech, but darker/more serious (but definitely not edgy) music would be used as well. Because he is my favorite musician, and I know him sorta personally (meaning if anybody actually wanted to use his music or make covers thereof, I could probably help secure the rights to do so), I will only list music by Wolfgun.
Example song choices (all covers of course):
- Singing lessons.
- Intense urban battle.
- Vendetta against an old frenemy. (alternate version)
- "A war between the stars, a tempest through the years. But when the dawn had come, we laid to rest our fears." (possible opening title sequence?)
- "Through the daylight, over the mountains, all the stars shone bright. I watched as planets fell from the sky... And I felt it moving above me, something was now right. This world has changed, and set me alight." (possible closing credits sequence, from the protagonist's point of view)

As for how the music overall should actually sound (original music and covers of existing music alike), I don't really know. In my opinion, maybe a blend of EDM and soft Metal, with significant Orchestral elements to it as well, and possibly even some minor jazz elements. It really swings!

So what do you guys think. Should a BattleTech musical be made? And if so, how would you personally do it?
MechWarrior: The Musical, yay or nay?
You may choose only one
No (it's a bad idea)
Yes (but just one movie)
Yes (a Netflix miniseries)
Yes (make it a full show, bring it on!)

Votes accepted from (06/02/18 10:47 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
06/02/18 02:21 PM

I would say the idea of a miniseries isn't bad, but a musical is beyond a no no.
It might be better to focus on say the Star Leagues war with Amaris, or maybe start in the 3025 era. Maybe the fourth war.
But they would have to remove the writers putting in crap that doesn't exist, like fusion engines blowing up.
Looks great, but destroys the rules.
The hero starts his fusion reactor on over load, then locks up with the enemy's leader, ejecting at the last second and it blows up both mechs? Done to often, and unless there is ammo aboard the mechs, not going to happen.

Ranges is another thing they will destroy. I can guarantee mechs will carry weapons that reach to the naval equals ranges. And that will have issues both ways. Not true to the game, and show just how stupid it is that you can not hit something over a klick at that time frame.

Story backdrop for the League would definitely set up a good series. Even if it is just to start taking worlds to get to earth, like a good story would do. The evil overlord ruining the earth, while the heroes fight those forces trying to get to the enemy. Might make a great series if they avoid crap like the Enhanced imaging of the cartoon.
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 03:16 PM

MechWarrior: The Musical is one of those "delightfully horrible" ideas that came to me in the shower, and I originally suggested it as a joke, but some people actually seriously started to consider it as having potential.

If the musical idea does follow through, it should probably be made by the same guys who did Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog, a "black comedy" as it were.
*The term "black comedy" meaning that it is still extremely dark and still has a tragic (or bittersweet at best) ending, despite being comedy.

As such, a hypothetical BattleTech musical might be somewhere between a more serious show like the Expanse, and a black comedy. So, really just there for fun, but could possibly be used to gauge interest in future BattleTech shows.

As for a regular, non-musical BattleTech show, I have wanted that for a long time, and if I had any money, I would definitely donate a large portion of it to a kickstarter or patreon or whatever to help it get off the launch deck.

And the realism aspect? Yeah, Netflix has already proven that a realistic science fiction show (the Lost in Space remake) can in fact do very well, not to mention we already have shows like The Expanse and movies like Interstellar and The Martian. And remember, many people making BattleTech stuff these days are doing what they can to stay Canon-friendly (while bending the rules just a bit to work within the context of their product, such as weapon ranges). You don't need to worry about a cartoonified Enhanced Imaging any time soon...

ghostrider
06/02/18 09:59 PM

So did you start writing the songs while in the shower?

So how would the lyrics got about 'wife. I give you the capellan confederation.' fit into a song?

Maybe contact robot chicken for a shot. They did some decent work with star wars on ice, and even one for halo. The population may well be ready for a good miniseries with robots, as pacific rim and the sequel seem to have done well. Even battleship wasn't a total loss.
Hell, battlefield los Angeles was a good movie. Easy to do something for a series there, though them chasing off the first command ship might cause a few problems.
AmaroqStarwind
06/02/18 10:22 PM

Neg. As I said previously, all the songs I linked to were made by a friend of mine. I am not a song writer.

I am not really sure if I even could write songs.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5740

Contact Admins Sarna.net