Question of Play vs Sticking to the Setting

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/18/18 02:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay, here is my question, how many of you play Battletech to enjoy the time with friends and to pretty much see if the designs or grand plans you came up with hold water vs your friends same ideas?

Or how many of you are playing set in the setting that you will not allow others to have a Taser on a mech that they say has been around since the 3rd Succession War?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/18/18 04:58 PM

Most of the time, we play against the game master. It sounds odd, but he is good with playing the enemy without much malice. If you do something stupid, like jump a 20 ton mech next to a 100 ton mech, well he will drive you into the ground.
Adventure packs are part of this, as we do alot of missions. We have been working with a government in the chaos march in a recent campaign. So it is mechwarrior with battle tech. So normally we do it to enjoy the time. With a few exceptions. We occasionally do the death matches, which get intense at times. Normally someone forgetting something doesn't work, or the init roll.

Not sure about the taser, though when we play the clan invasion, people forget which side they are playing. So when an IS unit has clan tech, we do argue about it.
I didn't think the taser was around since the 3rd war. But then anything that comes out as League tech has been around. Just not used.
wolf_lord_30
06/18/18 07:59 PM

I like jumping with my Javelin right behind and Atlas and kicking it, tripping up the 100 tonner and sending it straight to the ground. Sure, maybe my opponent was distracted by my Axman and Thunderbolt, but still, that little guy had guts. And there was another enemy Atlas nearby. And a dead enemy Atlas too. So many Atlas were being run that game.

My group and I haven't run a campaign in a while. We usually just do any scenario we can think of. Find an era we feel like playing and picking our forces accordingly. Every now and then, someone wants to bring their own creation along, but always make sure it's okay with the rest of the group first. And as of yet, there hasn't been any issues.

We are also limited to just what megamek can do, so certain judgement calls or individual units or special rules can't always be implemented. Such as initiative rules if this or that happens. Or certain weapons having a harder time hitting. I'm looking at the Gray Death pack, and that has a lot of stuff we can't do online using megamek. Sure, we could use roll20 or BattlegroundsRPG, but those take up a lot more time with having to digitally do record keeping, it is more of a hassle than a physical game and of course megamek streamlines the process a lot with rolling dice.

So the short answer is we play in the setting we choose. Not quite as rigid as the choice but definitely not as lax as the first choice.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2548

Contact Admins Sarna.net