odd things to avoid thread jacking

Pages: 1
ghostrider
05/26/18 02:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The idea of a 5 inch gun being able to breach normal armor that is so thick, is missing one of the things in the game. The armor used on mechs and such is supposed to be superior to the steel plating used today. It may be the magic diamond filament used in making it that allows it to withstand the shots that would destroy todays units.

If you wanted to really look at it, a lightning bolt hitting a plane would produce more power then a ppc in the game, and yet it doesn't destroy the plane. Now that could be taken as it shouldn't affect aircraft, or it doesn't do that much damage. Either argument has it's merit.

But that goes back to the horizon argument for lasers.
AmaroqStarwind
05/26/18 07:53 PM

Foamed aluminum, in real life, is able to destroy sabot rounds. Combine with ablative materials...
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
06/18/18 06:45 PM

In the thread of the poor mans battalion, the idea that the IS should have clan parts in their units.
The response is not all people playing IS units use anything other then IS parts.
Is was said irrelevant to the thread.
The use of expensive and hard to get clan parts was supposed to be used when earlier in the thread it was said that the Light Gauss Rifle was hard to maintain. What did I miss here?

I said not all play the crossroads alt game, and keep the two factions apart. It appears that in that alt game, everyone has every thing from the IS and clans, the moment it is conceived. I don't mind the concept of having some tech, but question how they can produce every last thing, including almost all the engines, zero-g production needed materials like endo steel, and other things. They have one world or several planets in their solar system. Not all will be habitable. So again, how to you make everything?

Trading technology, or how to make it being the key here, would not be done. The clans would sell you items, but not how to make them. Most ignore the fact that someone in the CC would not have access to the clans. The company Assinine Industries is based in the periphery outside of the FS. I could see where missing that might have happened, as it may have been posted before joining this site.

It would be extremely foolish to rely on the clans to sell you the parts to make your weapons better. I know the Diamond Sharks were doing so. Limited quantities that I know of. Part of why the argument of the IS not being able to produce in quantity, the clan spec parts.
Much like the FS had to get warship engines from Comstar, then lost that when WOB took over.
Retry
06/18/18 07:17 PM

Quote:
In the thread of the poor mans battalion, the idea that the IS should have clan parts in their units.
The response is not all people playing IS units use anything other then IS parts.
Is was said irrelevant to the thread.
The use of expensive and hard to get clan parts was supposed to be used when earlier in the thread it was said that the Light Gauss Rifle was hard to maintain. What did I miss here?

The response is that the Crossroads thing is irrelevant to the thread as we're not talking about it here. Open up a thread or a PM if you have questions on the subject.

The AP gauss rifle was a more extreme example to demonstrate that the Light Gauss Rifle (while effective) didn't really mesh all that well with a battalion designed for the poor and downtrodden, and not a solution instantly cured by throwing techs at it. For the record, I do believe the AP gauss rifle is a bad idea for such a battalion and wouldn't fit at all. The point is, if the high-tech LGR is fair game for a backwater world, then the also high tech yet much cheaper AP GR shouldn't be too far behind.
ghostrider
06/19/18 12:11 AM

The ap gauss came out over a decade later in the time line.

And how do you get parts for it? The LGR is bad enough, but trying to get clan tech for a world that the battalion may well be the ONLY forces on the world.
I do agree the ac is a better option as it is made all over the IS, and ammo is relatively common.

The reason I said something about the crossroads was alot of answers come down to just use clan tech. Clan tech should be so rare as to be unique, especially if the large houses buy it all up when available. And they should buy it all up.

I think it would be very embarrassing to have a merc unit with better equipment then your elites have.

Now maybe in the 3070's it might not be as rare, but that should actually be when the IS should be making it. If it is that different, then the IS techs could not repair any that got damaged.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3353

Contact Admins Sarna.net