Map Making

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
06/25/18 01:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm attempting to make a large scale map for a campaign. The problem is scale and movement. I'm thinking of allowing the characters to travel up to 2 or 3 hexes a day, barring natural features and having connected roads increase movement by 1. I've been looking at the Battleforce map, the Flight Leader board and the Battle of the Bulge board for some guidance.
Is there any program that I can easily use for this? Or any sound advice I can get? I have never been too big into maps. While creating one for the use of movement, enemy patrols, shop, city and repair locations, a secret star league cache (because it is obligatory) will be very helpful for my group, coming up with one seems a bit harder than I originally thought.
Karagin
06/25/18 01:43 PM

Heavy Metal Maps is a good program.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
06/25/18 02:29 PM

I'm still trying to think in terms of scale. Like should each hex be 5 km, 10 km, 50 km? And what would be a reasonable amount if distance a lance of mechs could travel in a day, mostly flat terrain with not too many obstacles. Walking speed of a Griffin is 57 kmh. But I don't know how long the pilot could keep that up. 3 or 4 hours. 6 hours? 10?

I might be overthinking it, but I do want my map to make sense. I dont want a river that is 200 km across because my scale was off. Or a city only 10 km around.

And thanks for the map creator suggestion. I may try to use roll20, or Battlegrounds RPG first before I spend $30, but it looks like a really good program.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2492

Contact Admins Sarna.net