Anime that is most like Battletech?

Pages: 1
EdmondDantes224
12/26/13 07:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm not looking for just any giant robot anime. I'm looking for an anime that matches the tone and feel of the novels, particularly the pre-Clan era.

I know Battletech took mecha designs from Macross, Dougram and Crusher Joe, but Macross isn't a very Battletech-ish anime (it's more of a love story). Dougram might be what I'm looking for, and I've never seen Crusher Joe.

But yeah, what anime do you think is closest in tone and feel to the first twelve Battletech novels?

(And yes, I know there was an actual Battletech cartoon, but that involves the Clans)

Thanks in advance.
ghostrider
12/26/13 10:20 AM

Dont think battle tech had any anime before the clans one. If there is, it would be player made. Closest thing I can think of, is the actually computer games. Some have a decent demo/start of story line. Might look on youtube and such for posted game video.Granted it wont be a complete story, but might satisfy any cravings.
Karagin
12/26/13 10:39 AM

Dougram has it's moments where it's like BT but it's a love story as well and a coming of age story. Still hard to pick one since many of the anime shows all have things that could fit BT...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Reiter
12/27/13 12:41 AM

*rolls eyes*

Most anime are love stories with action sequences. Or an action sequence with a love story element thrown in. Granted I haven't seen all anime there is, but have you ever seen an anime that had a plot more intense than say Pearl harbor or Kelly's Heroes. Real odd ball I know, but cannot think of any anime that is not 1 guy, 2-3 side kick battle buddies and a swooning maiden in distress they have to rescue....unless it's one of those types based on a light novel *cough*romance novel from japan*cough* of 1 guy, 3-5 harem choices, and the plot revolves around the antics of the male lead enrolled in an all girl's school full of obvious sight gags that would of had him expelled in the real world. Do not ask, I watch too much anime while expecting the next big thing to come from the land of the the rising sun ala Gundam to pass the time
EdmondDantes224
12/28/13 01:59 PM

I've seen anime that weren't love stories, although there are tons of stereotypes that do apply to the medium.

Anyway, starvation over, as I got to go to a bookstore and pick up more Battletech books. In particular: Mercenary's Star, Price of Glory, and Far Country, all ROC editions (I looked around to see if there were FASA editions anywhere). I'm hoping to go back to that store after my paycheck comes in, because I was buying books based largely on condition they were in and they had more near-perfect ones that I couldn't afford (not just Battletech either, but also a couple of Robotech books, which is another series I love).

Why is good condition important? Because I'm honestly thinking of trying to re-bind them into hardcover, so it would be awesome if they started out top-notch.
Reiter
01/02/14 12:15 AM

Mercenary star and price of glory = awesome. Far Country is kind of meh. Have most books (almost 20 years now, wow.) up to a few dark age crap that turned me away from the BT universe. Good luck in your search, the classics are the best.
EdmondDantes224
01/04/14 11:15 PM

I just won an auction that included the FASA edition of Decision At Thunder Rift (YAY!)

I actually was holding off on reading Mercenary Star and Price of Glory because I wanted to read them in order. Now I can, so... I'm a happy city-stomper.
ghostrider
01/05/14 01:35 AM

will have to check my paperback books, but they have newer versions of the gray death legion in action, including the demise of them. Have to find out what the names of the books are.
I do agree with far country. It was probably the worse of the old series that I read.
I also agree that the dark ages stuff isnt that great. Especially if you have no clue on half they stuff they are talking about.
EdmondDantes224
01/14/14 01:41 PM

Quote:
*rolls eyes*

Most anime are love stories with action sequences. Or an action sequence with a love story element thrown in. Granted I haven't seen all anime there is, but have you ever seen an anime that had a plot more intense than say Pearl harbor or Kelly's Heroes.

Just saying, as a long time anime fan I don't find this appraisal to be accurate.

Anime is actually pretty varied as a medium, about as varied as film. Though there are some genres that have more popularity than others and it does sometimes make the medium look redundant, especially when those repetitive ones tend to be the only ones anyone likes (see: Naruto's inexplicable popularity. That anime reminds me way too much of the crap the Final Fantasy series does these days).

Personally I find one does best to stick with anything made before 1999, although there have been some surprisingly good ones lately.

Also, I haven't read many light novels, but they're not all Romance novels. The Slayers, for example, has absolutely zero romance in it.

Speaking of books, ordered a set of Battletech novels off a popular auction site. It included Decision at Thunder Rift, Blood Legacy (both FASA, the former in good condition except for the spine), Way of the Clans, Bred for War, and Wolf Pack (these three in "reading copy" condition).

I've also started watching Mobile Suit Gundam, which is good but not as good as battletech. Probably plays a part though in why I keep imagining Grayson Death Carlyle as looking like Amuro Ray despite his description being completely different.
Karagin
01/18/14 12:24 PM

Crusher Joe comes to mind as well, but then that one has the feeling we are jumping in mid-show and given it's short run...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
YSIM
01/22/14 02:59 AM

Other than Dougram, the only other hard core war story mecha series would be the original GUNDAM series, and even more so Armored Trooper VOTOMS. While the VOTOMS mecha are not very Battletechish, it does go more on the war story than anything else.

Oddly, despite the early days of Battletech using the Mecha designs from so many anime series, it is it's own subgenre now.

And um... sorry... But as a long time Battletech fan... Mobile Suit Gundam is still best.

The Sword and the Dagger is still one of my favorite Battletech novels.
Ironnerd
02/22/14 12:16 AM

Yup - VOTOMS. Even though the mecha are quite a bit smaller than 'mechs (more like proto-mechs), it's a lot more like Battletech than any other anime I have seen. The funky tech (their computers are like C-64's, but they have FTL travel) and a lot of the galaxy has been ruined by war leaving sub-factions to fight for power.

Battletech and most Mecha anime are quite different. We see 'Mechs as big, two-legged tanks. In anime, Mecha are portrayed as quick and maneuverable - extensions of the pilot.

VOTOMS (Vertical One-man Tank for Offensive Maneuvers) treats mecha a little more like Mechs. Walking tanks with moments of super-maneuverability.
Requiem
07/11/18 10:46 PM

The closest Anime to Battletech, in my opinion, is that of Gundam – especially the earlier works between Zeon and Earth.

There is also a push to turn this into a table-top-game with the existing model kits to be used within the game.

http://www.ironhands.com/MSera.htm

There is also considerable literature out there ….

If they got serious they could give Battletech a run for their money especially if they came out with a way of making their “Mechs” from 3D printers
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
happyguy49
07/13/18 03:28 AM

wow is this 4 year necromancy? That's cool.

IMHO, the most 'Battletechy' anime I have seen is Gasaraki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasaraki

Yes, it is set in the present day, but the mechs in Gasaraki are the closest thing to Battlemechs I have seen in any anime. In basically all other animes I have watched, the mecha are basically mechanical superheros that fly, transform, are waaaay to large for physics, and have other implausibly awesome powers.

Gasaraki mechs vs. some infantry and light armor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZRO5JiQ8c
Requiem
07/13/18 04:05 AM

If you can find it can I suggest you go looking for Power DoLLS: Detachment of Limited Line Service

Both The Anime and the “Playstation” Computer Game.

and see what you think .... there are also others like this when I remember their tiles I will add them ......
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11627

Contact Admins Sarna.net