The Monitor issues …… again …

Pages: 1
Requiem
07/26/18 05:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Alt. Universe / House Rules?

Going against the rules … and expanding upon my PT retrofit Issues …. Refer Battle Space / AT2 – Achilles Class Dropship Up-Upgraded Version Question …..

Has anyone thought about creating a monitor warship, that is both a dreadnought for in-system warfare and when it comes jumping it can just attach to a jump-ship (similar to that of a Dropship)

Thus giving you a larger more deadly warship that can jump from one system to the next as required?

Ie. a larger Naga (Warship Class) ……

Your thoughts?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
07/27/18 03:10 AM

The only warship that was canon for a while that might fit on a jumpship was the Bugeye. Then they changed it to nerf it.

I do agree it is crap, that they went out of their way to ban non jumping warships. System defenses that can move around the whole system, not just orbit one planet, would be perfect, though you would need to have a ship yard in that system to build it. That would limit where it could be used at. They had one in the FC civil war novels guarding Tharkad. They said it had larger engines in place of the jump core. How they got it there is not explained. No shipyards that I know of, so removing the core and installing larger engines after it was jumped there, could not be the case.

I take it, since it was said it was a decent dropship, you like the speed of it, and decided to make it a fast anti warship. I think it shows the development team didn't think a few things thru when they did up rules. I would suggest they find people looking for the little ways to abuse the rules by using the rules. The initial TC/Pulse lasers will always be a good example of that. Even without using the targeting part of it, it is nasty. Minus 3 to hit. So with no terrain or movement penalties, regular clan warriors will always hit at short range. No chance to miss. Even at long range with no penalties, it is only a 4+ to hit.
Requiem
07/27/18 06:13 AM

The Bug-Eye …. Pg 124 and 125 Technical Readout 2750 ….Mass: 6,100 tons and contains a jump-drive! …..

It’s no wonder they ‘nerfed’ it …. Large numbers of small warships ….. etc

Though having two ships that could join together to jump – one containing the jump drive the other the weapons package would have made for an interesting idea as a system defence.

If the Clans’ can have a jump capable ship yard why not have two ships that can separate?

Sometimes I wonder where Battletech is going …
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
07/27/18 07:24 PM

At 6100 tons, it is between a union and an overlord mech carrier, with the fortress being 6000 tons.
And the big reason to nerf it. The light naval ppc in the nose.
With this, I could see why the developers are trying to stop people from making the energy wielding pocket warships from dropships happening. Though I do wonder why a jump drive is needed for ships to use energy weapons.
Do they take the power form the jump core?
I doubt it, as a ship that just jumped would not have anything stored in it.

And the engine not being capable of providing the power? Yeah. BS.
The Bugeye is 5/8 movement.
This is another example of not testing the product thoroughly before releasing it.

Ok. So what happens if a warships jump drive fails, but does not destroy the ship?
Does it stop firing all capital energy weapons?
Does it become a museum?
Poor maintenance could very well pull the jump drive off line. So that means it stops working as a warship?

And technically, the game does have ships that separate. Jumpships and dropships do it all the time.
And now the new Argo ship.
The Elephant/Octopus tug has the docking collar that allows it to dock with all dropships. And the docking collar on jumpships seem to imply the rear of the ship is connected to the jumpship, it would stand to be logical, the tug could connect to the nose and jump out piggy back to the dropship.
A side note is presented that this tug could move battle stats around to jumpships and get into another system, and move them into position

Hmmm....
Requiem
07/30/18 07:32 AM

Question:

If I take a two-and-half kilometre long Newgrange-Class Yardship (Introduced in2600) - that has enough cargo storage to house an entire dismantled destroyer – how many Naga Caspar II Control ships, Dragau Assault Interceptor Caspar II Drones and Tiamat Pocket Warship Caspar II Drones do you think I could put into its cargo storage bay, whilst I jump around the Inner Sphere, causing mayhem as I go?

and legal if you can get them?

Thus, to beg the question - why some are legal and others are not if you can just get around the "banned" monitors just by being a little bit creative?
ghostrider
07/30/18 11:38 AM

This is part of why logic doesn't work well with the game.
Any game with large warships would have local forces using them, especially around say Hesperus. Without a jump drive, the military could not move it out of system, so they would not weaker the defense forces. But that means raids would not happen, as raiders, other then house units, would not have access to warships.

The early game did not have drones in it. And the idea of the SDS should have been done a long time before it was, yet only was used to destroy the well known units the developers didn't want to deal with anymore.

A counter question to your drone question. Why could you not make and install launchers for such in ships after the fact? There are ways around a lot of things, as the holes to why it can't be done uses the same logic as why they try to force crap that is even less logical.
ATN082268
07/30/18 12:02 PM

The idea of Monitors, or Warships without a KF drive, has been around a while. I think Heavy Metal Aero even has some unofficial rules for them. I believe the idea has some merit as some worlds, facilities, etc. will always require some defensive presence and, in those cases, made economic sense. I never understood the opposition to Monitors especially when they were generally presented as about half or less the max weight of a warship.
Requiem
07/30/18 08:49 PM

In addition to monitors being half the weight they are a massive cost savings from that of a warship and in conjunction with a SDS.

All you need to do is create them – transport them to an important world and presto an effective deterrent against raiding parties / invasions – the more important the world the more lavers you add

So that in the end Capitol worlds / Naval dock yards / major ‘Mech production facilities – multiple rings of SDS – a large fleet of monitors and a large aerospace force (Vengeance Carriers).

Then with multiple check points.

Sooner rather than later these defensive measures wold be needed to be included upon these important worlds.

In addition to this a satellite would be installed (in geostationary orbit) to detect an incoming / outgoing jumps – then it would check this against its logs and if the jump is not on it send a message to the military – they scramble a dropship with aerospace fighters to find the anomaly asap, then inform the military as to what they find – ie. the satellite becomes a “door-bell” to that system for the military.
ghostrider
07/31/18 01:06 AM

This does go back to the idea, that if things were done logically, there would be no ground combat, as all would die before reaching the planet.

A few questions. First. Why would the military not be the one running the detection station? They would deal with it right from the start, and not have to be informed.
Second. Why not have a station at the jump points, instead of just around the world?
Third. Why not use the Bastion station, that is still made in the IS, with the sensors that could detect the jump signatures?
They have fighters on board. Even other normal stations at jump points would work.

Don't think the scanners have the range to detect jumpships at the jump point from worlds. Though there could be some for the pirate points that show up.
Requiem
07/31/18 07:33 AM

I disagree, there would be ground combat it is just that it won’t be upon very important worlds – just those that a fleet presence would be considered to be an overkill.

And if your fleet is able to punch a hole through – then yes again there will be a ground war (remember all sides by now have, as part of rule of war, given up the use of orbital bombardments);

Yes, the military would be running / in control of the detection station.

Stations at the jump point are too vulnerable to their communication being jammed by an incoming fleet – where as one in orbit cannot be jammed.

If you have the money for a Bastion Station then go for it – but the majority of worlds would be given the cheap, quick and easy solution.

With the emergence signature of a jumship you also get an electromagnetic pulse that can be detected billions of kilometres away – by now don’t you think that they have been able to refine that electromagnetic signature so that they will be able to determine, with a high degree of probability, that a Jumpship has emerged into the system.

Though with Pirate points you are going for an surprise as your goal – so it is no wonder that you would choose such a tactic when comparing it to a standard jump.
Requiem
08/09/18 09:39 AM

Yes there are early warning satellites from emergence pulses from an L1 Pirate Point Jump

Refer pg. 20 Jihad: Final Reckoning

Anyone know where the Tech sheet for this is then?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4638

Contact Admins Sarna.net