The Taurus Territorial Industries Anomalies

Pages: 1
Requiem
08/03/18 08:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
When reading the Sarna Wiki you sometimes come across oddities. One such oddity I found is located within the Taurus Territorial Industries is a military industrial complex within the Taurian Concordat.

There in addition with other ‘Mechs they also manufacture the HCT-3F and the HCT-5S Hatchetman.

Now the Hatchetman was designed by Dr B Banzai of Team Banzai in association with the Fererated Suns’ New Avalon Institute of Science and was first manufactured in the Lyran Commonwealth and was first introduced in 3023 during the 4th Succession War.

Thus making it one of a few new ‘Mechs

So the first question would be how the Taurians received a licence to manufacture this – and considering it is a Federated Suns Mech one would have thought they would have an aversion to it considering its pedigree?

However the second question concerns the variants manufactured the HCT-3F and the HCT-5S as they are both custom variants …

The 3F – was originally assigned to the NAIS Training Cadres before being assigned to the Fox’s Teeth; and
The 5S –is a retrofitted 6S except for the placement of the ER Medium Lasers in the left arm.

So how did they come to mass market what should have been just a custom job?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
FrabbyModerator
08/03/18 11:19 AM

Without having checked the specifics, I do recall that there was false information in a canonical product (The Periphery, 1st Ed.) that claimed the Taurians were building the Hatchetman and the Patton tank. It's repeatedly been stated by TPTB that this was in error and should be disregarded.

Again, I haven't checked the Sarna articles in question as I am writing this to provide a quick reply, but I suspect this is what's behind this. The articles need to be rewritten to clarify that there is one erroneous source out there that has been confirmed to be canonically untrue.

(I also recall that it has been asked what those production lines, if they truly exist, would be building instead - that part is as yet unanswered, to the best of my knowledge.)
ghostrider
08/03/18 02:09 PM

The commando is another unit that is built in the periphery, yet nothing says the parts for it were sold to them, nor even suggests they were build in the IS.
The Concordat seems odd, as they seem to build Lyran versions of normal mechs as well.

I understand the change in owners, but why do the later books continue with this 'error'?
Source checking isn't being done?
It does not appear the newer versions are build there for the commando, but it was odd it was done that way.
happyguy49
08/04/18 02:38 AM

RE hatchetman, the writers should have just said that the Taurians reverse engineered the Hatchetman. Since the Taurians were paranoid about, and antagonistic towards the FedSuns for centuries it is likely they got a fair amount of salvage from raids into or attacks by FedSuns and the then-nascent Federated Commonwealth, so therefore plenty of possible salvaged Hatchetmen. It is also a pretty low-tech design, a brutalist club-wielder with an AC10, two medium lasers, and a flamer. I'm sure the Taurians could more than swing that. Double fully articulated arms and a hatchet means it would even be useful as a workmech in peacetime, doing logging, construction, etc. making it a good investment for a poorer periphery state.
ghostrider
08/04/18 03:32 PM

The Concordat makes mechs with fully articulate hands, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I really don't think their mech factory/scientists are that far behind the IS.
Salvage in one option, but I would think the TC would have copied other FS designs that are better then the Hatchetman.

According to Objective Raids, the FS doesn't build them. Only LC and TC. The F series in the TC. The S series in LC. So this would make the mystery even worse.
Unless the TC bought them from the LC and reverse engineered them. The fact 2 LC units are made by them would suggest a very odd and rare occurrence.
Requiem
08/04/18 06:28 PM

Objective raids is not the complete list - go to Sarna wiki for the Hatchetman and have a look at all the manufacturers.

and again, semantics with the comparison between Periphery and Inner Sphere factories? another unknown variable.....

and as for reverse engineering them - how many reverse engineered 'Mech projects have ever been discussed and have been completed by even the Great Houses let alone those in the Periphery?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
08/04/18 08:56 PM

Don't you just love when they add in things after releasing the books? And the developers have done that more then a few times. Even different print runs have changed things.
Independence and Johnson industries look like they came out later then Objective raids. The one was reverse engineering of the mech, and the other was because defiance couldn't keep up with production verse demand.

But the issue of the title of the topic remains. The TC had it almost immediately after it was created. Production, not just owned.

The wiki does have the hatcheman being built in the TC, so if the idea it was wrong in the conical universe, then it needs to be corrected or noted in the wiki.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3556

Contact Admins Sarna.net