Ship Quarters

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tmr01750195
08/11/18 12:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hello to the forum,

First my apologies for taking so long to respond, but I looked at my file archives and dug through my FASA, FanPro/WKGames, and Catalyst Game Labs (CGL) books before typing. Hopefully, my research and comments are not out to lunch.

0n 7/26/18 GunslingerPatch mentioned the pet peeve about a ship's crew "...still hot bunking and packed in like sardines."

Checking through FASA BattleSpace copyright 1993 product number 1680 with clarification from FASA TR: 3057 copyright 1994 product number 8620 and Catalyst Game Labs (CGL) BT: TM (PDF) copyright 2007-3013 product number 35004 they all indicate that each member of the crew requires either 7 tons or 10 tons of quarters.

FASA AT2 copyright 2000 product number 1718 and FanPro/WKGames AT2 Revised copyright 2004 product number 35011 does appear to indicate that "...especially on smaller vessels and Clan vessels, bunk enlisted personnel and officers together in the same quarters." I'm not sure that the detail means hot bunking, however in my experience on the tender this could mean that everyone shares a single compartment with a bunk for each body on the crew.

In my opinion and background as a crew member of three SSBNs, one SSN, one tender, being temporarily housed in accommodations provided by forward deployed tenders servicing SSBN/SSN crews, and housed in barracks BT JumpShips, DropShips, and Small Craft does not allow "hot bunking."

Being "packed in like sardines" are, again in my opinion, what happens to the passengers allocated to infantry and elemental bays.

The BattleSpace DropShip construction example indicates that Mech, Fighter, Small Craft, and vehicle crews are allocated either 7 tons or 10 tons of quarters per individual.

I am not sure how AT2 and AT2 Revised handle the passengers in the bays, but I think they followed BattleSpace.

CGL BT: TechManual the bays incorporate limited seating/bunking into their design, which means in under CGL BT rules Mech, Fighter, Small Craft, and vehicle crews are "packed in like sardines".

In the real world of ship design crew space allocation is usually the minimum amount that does not take away from the hull's purpose. A cruise ship/liner's purpose is to haul passengers which means they get the largest share of space followed by the systems needed to support them. Leaving the crew getting minimum space required by various regulations.

Warships allocate crew space per regulations determined by requirements set down by each navy. For example the USN Shipboard Habitability Improvement Program web site at http://www.habitability.net/ has a document that sets the criteria on accommodations for the crew and other personnel. Space allocation is in square feet not in mass tons as show in my post from 12/14/17 on the forum.

In short my opinion is that in BT ship crews are not "hot bunking" and depending on the rules not "packed in like sardines" even on small craft for the most part.

Tom Rux

Edited by tmr01750195 (08/11/18 12:39 PM)
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 22893

Contact Admins Sarna.net