Armament:
2 Sniper Artillery Piece
1 C3 Slave
1 CASE
Manufacturer: Defiance Industires
Primary Factory: Hesperus II
Communications System: Integrated Tactical Zed-Ninety w/ C3
Targeting and Tracking System: Advanced Fire Control System w/ C3

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 48 points 8.00
Engine: eXtraLight Fusion Engine 160 4.50
Cruise MP: 2
Flank MP: 3
Heat Sinks: (IS) Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Control Equipment: 4.00
Lift Equipment: 0.00
Front Turret: 2.00
Rear Turret: 2.00
Armor: Standard - 96 6.00

Armor
Factor
Front 16
Left/Right 16/16
Front Turret 16
Rear Turret 16
Rear 16

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Spaces Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Sniper Artillery Piece FT 10 1 20.00
1 Sniper Artillery Piece TU 10 1 20.00
C3 Computer (Slave) FR 0 1 1.00
Advanced Fire Control System RR 0 1 4.00
CASE BD - 0 0.00
@Sniper Ammo (10) FT - 0 1 1.00
@Sniper Ammo (10) TU - 0 1 1.00
@Sniper Ammo (10) LS - 0 1 1.00
@Sniper Ammo (10) RS - 0 1 1.00

Designer's Notes:

-- --- The Defiance Industries Twin Head Artillery System was designed during the initial onslaught of the Clan Invasion in 3050 as a cutting edge Artillery Platform. Utilizing the then state-of-the-art C3 Network, the Twin Head can use it's Advanced Fire Control System to rain down a hailstorm of artillery fire. Six tons of armor gives this unit passable protection for it's role, while eight tons of CASE protected ammo give the Twin Head's pair of Sniper Cannons deep enough magazines for over three minutes of sustained shelling when utilizing a full complement of basic munitions. While the magazines also allow the Twin Head a great deal of flexibility when it comes to utilizing specialty ammo.

-- --- The Twin Head's production lines on Hesperus II would function up until the Jihad, producing Twin Head Artillery Systems for the latter half of the Clan Invasion and all throughout the FedCom Civil War. However, due to the destruction of the Hesperus II facilities during the Jihad, the Twin Head would become scarce until well into the Dark Age when a small, outlying firm would begin licensed production on a limited scale. The modest facilities would be established on the planet Detroit, produce small numbers of new models, but mostly focusing on spare parts and the manufacture of shells.

-- --- The Twin Head's design saw each of it's Sniper Artillery Pieces mounted in it's own turret, each of which housed an easily accessible one ton magazine compartment and protected by a single ton of armor. These particular magazine wells could be loaded independently of the other two magazines, and the entire system allowed the CASE-protected ammo to be cycled or exchanged quickly by passing it through the vehicle's main body. Further, the turret magazines on the Twin Head could be set so as to close off the other two magazines; helping to prevent damage if disused by an ammo conscious commander and preventing both wear and potential fouling of the feeds.

-- --- The Twin Head's 160 rated eXtraLight Fusion Engine ensures that the vehicle can only manage a a meager 32.4 km/h at it's fastest, while weighing in at just over 8-million C-Bills ensures that only two or three will likely ever see deployment at a time. However, even alone the sheer volume of fire that the Twin Head can put out, not so much at one time, but rather over a long period of it ensures that it remains a significant threat. A lack of significant armor, combined with it's abysmal speed and absence of any and all forms of self-defense armaments ensure that the Twin Head must be well positioned and preferably guarded at all times. considering it's close ties to the supply lines of any force it's deployed with however, this doesn't usually pose a problem if the commander shows a modicum of prudence.

-- --- Overall, the role where this platform shines the brightest is when a fixed position needs to be shelled straight to Hell. The sheer volume of fire over time can wither even the hardiest of defenses. and with the ability to load a good mix of FASCAM with other, more offensively-geared ordinance; the Twin Head excels at defending areas as well. Cluster Munitions make carpeting a battlefield with high-explosive death a breeze, all while carrying some Copperhead shells to make full use of any TAG capable spotters before switching over again to rain some Flechette shells on a unit or two of PBIs that a fellow C3 equipped unit just ferreted out. The possibilities are endless, and with two or more the carnage is only multiplied as Cluster, Flechette and good ol' fashioned high-explosive turn any and all types of enemies into an ooey-gooey oh so goody red paste. Now With Extra Chunks

-- --- So, I hope you like it. As always, critique is appreciated and criticism is welcome [the constructive kind moreso than any others]. I had a lot of fun dreaming this up, and the Super-Heavy Boondoggles I made before refining the idea into this are pretty cool [and crazy impractical] in their own right. As with my Cruise Missile Launcher Post, the template was taken from one of happyguy49's vehicle posts; namely the Wheeled Pike. Gonna shell out for HMPro Vehicle and Aerospace someday... but it is not this day, this day, our cannon fire shall blot out the Sun!

----- Attachment (144 downloads)
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (08/13/18 02:07 AM)
ghostrider
08/13/18 03:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Not sure if artillery gains benefits from the c3.

I would think one turret is more then enough for both snipers. And since I don't have the newer rules, not sure if dual turrets are allowed. But probably wrong about it.

Honestly, with the slow speed, it is highly possible the clans would catch this unit, so secondary weapons might be something to add.
But I can see this being used to defend depots or even landing zones.

I know it will increase the costs, but putting ferrous fiber armor on, may help it survive. Then again, blocking a single hit isn't likely to save it from the next time it gets hit. So that might be a useless idea.
Retry
08/13/18 01:08 PM

Artillery doesn't benefit from C3.

One turret could fit both snipers, but then you wouldn't have the flexibility of firing both pieces at two separate targets at once. Well, at least logically, the actual board game abstracts over that bit a bit and you can fire at as many targets as are in your 60* arc as long as you have the weapons, unless you house-rule it.

Dual turret configurations is a legal construction option. The Gulltoppr tank uses it, at least.

This is a combat vehicle, yes? You shouldn't need the Advanced Fire Control System for that, that's a Support Vehicle option.
Maurer
08/14/18 04:03 AM

Honestly, this looks a bit pricy, slow and too lightly armored for an arty piece - granted, most BT arty pieces are like that though. I would say replace the two Snipers with a single Long Tom piece, using the freed weight to bump up the speed. Or create a smaller unit using 1 Sniper.

Personally, I would use my Arablest Artillery Hovertank - cheap, fast, versatile, and flexible.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
Retry
08/14/18 11:55 AM

Most real-life artillery systems are pricey, slow, and lightly or un-armored so I would say it's a typical design, other than the two heads of course.

Merging the snipers into a single Long Tom or using only 1 Sniper would improve the design, but I think the purpose of making this design was specifically to make an artillery piece with two turrets. Otherwise he could just throw in a canon Ballista or Chaparral.

Here's a cheaper, lower-tech, faster, and (slightly) more practical version of the concept.

Twin Head (LowTech)
Base Tech Level: Experimental (IS)

Weight: 75 tons
BV: 480
Cost: 1,599,938 C-bills

Movement: 3/5 (Tracked)
Engine: 225 ICE

Internal: 48
Armor: 96
Internal Armor
Front 8 16
Right 8 16
Left 8 16
Rear 8 16
Rear Turret 8 16
Front Turret 8 16

Weapons Loc Heat
Thumper FT 5
Thumper TU 5

Ammo Loc Shots
Thumper Ammo BD 20
Thumper Ammo BD 20
Thumper Ammo BD 20
Thumper Ammo BD 20

Equipment Loc
CASE BD
happyguy49
08/15/18 04:57 AM

(quick tangent question, I don't have a rulebook handy here. Does artillery benefit from C3 if used onboard?)

I think one of the best possible uses of artillery weapons is in vehicles that are combination MBT/Mobile Artillery tanks. The reason being the ease of getting motive crits on, and disabling vehicles. When that inevitably happens even very dangerously well armed tanks can simply be bypassed, shelled until destruction, or killed by any weapon that outranges it by one hex (LB2xAC, etc.) Integrated artillery can be useful onboard, but it also prevents an immobilized tank from being useless. Here is an example of what I mean as a 'combo' unit:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Testudo

That tank could get immobilized by a motive system crit, yet still be useful and dangerous as an Arrow IV pillbox until knocked out or out of ammunition.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3586

Contact Admins Sarna.net