Religion in the BT Universe

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
08/26/18 09:17 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was watching a tv show that had a religious theme. I also have a bit of a background in religion and started giving it some more thought in regards to how it would be like in the future, 1,000 years from now. I believe that humanity will always have some notion that there is something else out there, a reason for everything and so on. It is normal to want to find some comfort in the belief that there is life after death, whether in the form or heaven or rebirth or endless fighting and feasting. However, a lot of religion is based only on events on Earth, and carries with it some degree of finality. There is an unspecified time limit as to when the world will end.
The BT Universe still has religion. It doesn't seem to play a huge part in anything, but it is there. Not just in the IS, even the Cloud Cobras have factions based on religion. So it isn't going away. The question is, how would some of these religions adapt? If the world was supposed to have ended through some pretty cataclysmic events and hadn't by 3025 and mankind is definitely not only on Terra anymore, do you think some of the major religions could survive that?
CrayModerator
08/26/18 01:18 PM

Since this line of questions touches on real world religions, I'm not really sure how it can be discussed without crossing posting rule 3 other than to say, "See what you think of the books' description of current and future religions." If anyone else wants to chip in before I decide whether to close this thread, I recommend doing so by sticking to quoting the books or discussing BT's new religions rather than trying to speculate on current religions.

Quote:
The question is, how would some of these religions adapt? If the world was supposed to have ended through some pretty cataclysmic events and hadn't by 3025 and mankind is definitely not only on Terra anymore, do you think some of the major religions could survive that?

That's answered in the books. The House Sourcebooks and Handbooks go into detail on the major religions: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and assorted new ones that have developed in the last thousand years (e.g., The Unfinished Book movement) and how the old ones have evolved (e.g., Catholicism's schism during the Amaris Coup, and Islam's slow start to get to the stars).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
08/26/18 01:48 PM

The issue of the end of the world is all based on point of view.
The world as they knew it, ended a few times. Electricity. Mass production. Even things like washing machines and such that made life easier.
Also, for some, the world ends as they die. For the rest it continues on.

I would say adapting would be like any other organization. You include everything you can, and suggest the old word is inaccurate, as the old writers wanted you to think that was it.
But this may not be along the lines Cray was suggesting, so I will leave it at this.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2537

Contact Admins Sarna.net