08/31/18 10:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hello all,

Would Standard armor be Ferro-Aluminum?

Tom Rux
Karagin
08/31/18 10:35 PM

Ferro Aluminum is the same as Ferro Fiberous Armor.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
tmr01750195
08/31/18 10:56 PM

Evening from WA Karagin,

Quote:

My conclusion based on comparing armor used in aerospace and ground based armor is that Ferro-Aluminum is probably not the same as Ferro-Fiberous though they fill the same roll as the standard armor.

Thank you for your reply.

Tom Rux
ghostrider
09/01/18 12:19 AM

The aluminum is space items while fibrous is ground armor.
Basically the same thing, only different materials.

A guess would be the aluminum is used to deal with the coldness of space, as well as the heating during re-entry.
Or is based on the fact that most planes in service today are aluminum, so they kept with that theme.
Most being commercial included in this. Military has some variants they use.
tmr01750195
09/01/18 12:56 AM

Evening from WA Ghostrider,

Quote:
The aluminum is space items while fibrous is ground armor.
Basically the same thing, only different materials.

A guess would be the aluminum is used to deal with the coldness of space, as well as the heating during re-entry.
Or is based on the fact that most planes in service today are aluminum, so they kept with that theme.
Most being commercial included in this. Military has some variants they use.

If the material is different between Ferro-Fibrous and Ferro-Aluminum they are not the same thing, however I would agree that they fill the same roll of being the standard armor used on the respective system.

Thank you for the reply.

Tom Rux
Karagin
09/01/18 10:48 AM

They are similar in what they do. One is for aerospace units and the other is for ground base units, same concept, different materials used.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
tmr01750195
09/01/18 01:00 PM

Hello Karagin

Quote:
They are similar in what they do. One is for aerospace units and the other is for ground base units, same concept, different materials used.

I agree that they perform the same concept of being the standard armor for their respective units using different materials.

My reason for asking if Standard Aerospace Armor was Ferro-Aluminum is for my need to be clear on what standard armor is being used since all the other armor types are identified by name.

Yes, I know Heavy Metal has BT design software which I had at one time and being a silly twit when my computer screwed them up I uninstalled before digging out my program discs only to find them missing. Adding further to my sins I have not located my receipt when I purchased them. With other non-licensed programs having a mixed reception I began checking in my archives and found incomplete drafts for BattleSpace and AT2 construction. I'm in the process of completing them to at least give me something to design with until I can replace my lost software.

I also realize that CGL has the latest BT rules, but I figure if I get the BattleSpace and AT2 construction spreadsheets that I'll have an easier time when I look them over.

Another thank you for reply.

Tom Rux

Edited by tmr01750195 (09/01/18 01:06 PM)
CrayModerator
09/01/18 06:17 PM

Quote:
Evening from WA Karagin,

Quote:

My conclusion based on comparing armor used in aerospace and ground based armor is that Ferro-Aluminum is probably not the same as Ferro-Fiberous though they fill the same roll as the standard armor.

No, ferro-aluminum is the same as ferro-fibrous armor, an improvement over standard armor. Standard armor is standard armor.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tmr01750195
09/01/18 07:56 PM

Hello Cray,

Quote:
Quote:
Evening from WA Karagin,

Quote:

No, ferro-aluminum is the same as ferro-fibrous armor, an improvement over standard armor. Standard armor is standard armor.

This is my second attempt to reply due to service issues at ComCast which resulted in losing my internet connection.

I looked in my copy of CGL BT: TechManual p. 205 which supplied the following "A more advanced form of combat armor, ferro-fibrous (and its aerospace/spacecraft analogue, ferro-aluminum) . . ." indicates to me that while they fill the same function they are not made out of the same material. I then linked to the wiki through Sarna.net to if there are entries for the armor.

Comparing the Ferro-Fibrous article (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ferro-Fibrous_Armor) and the Ferro-Aluminum article (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ferro-Aluminum_Armor) they are not made up of the same material while they both perform the same function in their respective environments.

I also checked on Standard Armor in CGL and on the wiki which resulted in proving that my conclusion was out to lunch.

Thank you for another round of straightening me out.

Tom Rux
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3595

Contact Admins Sarna.net